You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Just bought your amazing program yesterday and have already created several projects for clients with it. Obviously coming from 20 years of Illustrator experience there is a little bit of learning curve to get used to the new short-cuts and features. But a pretty productive day all-in-all.

I was trying to use the size and opacity variance feature in the stroke/brush editing tab and can't seem to get it to work. The width works perfectly, but the size and opacity appear to do nothing. The preview updates fine in the editing window, but nothing happens to the object on the page. Am I doing something wrong? I really want this to work because I used the stroke width variance tool in illustrator all the time and hope I can replicate that function in Designer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately I was and am using the vector brush tool and still nothing changes when I am in the editor. I am attaching a screen shot that shows the path drawn with the vector brush with the brush editor next to it. The preview in the editor reflects the changes, but the live path does not. Maybe I have a setting somewhere screwed up?

Affinity_designer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi wsg7562,

Go to the context toolbar and check if you have the Controller dropdown set to None. If so, set it to Automatic, draw a path with the Vector Brush Tool, select the path and check if you can change/customise it using the Brush dialog.

Are you using a Wacom tablet or a mouse?

Thanks for getting back to me. I set it to automatic and now it seems to work for any stroke that I draw with the pen or pencil tool, which is great. However I also set it to automatic for the vector brush tool and nothing changed there. Hey two out of three is pretty good.

Any ideas on why the program isn't remembering any of my past saved documents?

Thanks again

• Staff

It should work for the Pencil and Vector Brush Tool (the Pen Tool doesn't have a controller). It may not work for previous paths because they may not a have pressure curve applied.

Every time you draw a path with the Pencil or Vector Brush Tools, Affinity registers a pressure curve (if the correct settings were set). You can see it if you draw a path with the Pencil or Vector Brush Tools, change to the Node Tool, click on the width dropdown on the context toolbar then on the Pressure button on the bottom right of the pop-up (you can drag the points there, on the pressure curve directly, to adjust the path too). If there's no pressure info changing the brush settings will do nothing.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/7/2016 at 7:18 AM, wsg7562 said:

Hi,

Just bought your amazing program yesterday and have already created several projects for clients with it. Obviously coming from 20 years of Illustrator experience there is a little bit of learning curve to get used to the new short-cuts and features. But a pretty productive day all-in-all.

I was trying to use the size and opacity variance feature in the stroke/brush editing tab and can't seem to get it to work. The width works perfectly, but the size and opacity appear to do nothing. The preview updates fine in the editing window, but nothing happens to the object on the page. Am I doing something wrong? I really want this to work because I used the stroke width variance tool in illustrator all the time and hope I can replicate that function in Designer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the same problem... I follow the exactly path