You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

installation for windows

I have just downloaded the beta Affinity for Windows. When trying to install I get a message "Platform Update for Windows not found", the installation then quits. Looking at my update history SP1 has been installed and a search for updates finds none. I am running Win7 64 bit. Any suggestions?

Hi Skipper, 

Wiindows Designer requires the Service Pack 1 update to run. This message usually means that you have not gotten this installed. If you do have SP1 installed there is also a specific windows update (KB2670838) that is also required. A link to the update should be on the error message you receive

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark, when I download the update and then click on Run I get a "standalone installer" which tells me that it is searching for updates. After several minutes I run out of patience and click on Cancel. It won't cancel and keeps going. Affinity is the only programme that has put me through this nonsense and it makes me wonder about it should I ever get it installed.

That installer is Microsoft's, so if you're having issues with it, you might need to contact them. I assume it's just searching your system for Windows Updates that have already been installed, and probably querying with the Windows Update servers as well, so it might be slow if you've got slow internet?

Unfortunately this update is required in order to use Designer or Photo, so you'll need to weigh up whether you think it's worth it!

• 1 year later...

a) I have had KB2670838 on my computer--literally--for years, but Affinity could not find it.even after a number of tries.

b)  the Platform Update for Windows 7 is well known for being a real problem child, particularly difficult to install or even uninstall, which Microsoft has never fixed.

c)  I have run a number of the top photo editors on my machine (Win 7 64-bit Nvidia Quadro graphics) and none of them has ever asked for the platform update for Windows 7.

d)  I am very sad to have to write this, as I had high hopes for serif affinity photo, but it is becoming a real frustration.

On 09/12/2017 at 7:30 AM, Prof. Jewell said:

a) I have had KB2670838 on my computer--literally--for years, but Affinity could not find it.even after a number of tries.

b)  the Platform Update for Windows 7 is well known for being a real problem child, particularly difficult to install or even uninstall, which Microsoft has never fixed.

c)  I have run a number of the top photo editors on my machine (Win 7 64-bit Nvidia Quadro graphics) and none of them has ever asked for the platform update for Windows 7.

d)  I am very sad to have to write this, as I had high hopes for serif affinity photo, but it is becoming a real frustration.

Hi, what's your question?

Are you struggling to install due to missing dependencies? 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.