You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone know what the workflow/setup is to design 3d packaging mockups like they're showing off at 1:10 in this official video: https://vimeo.com/185763872 ?

The screencap shows that both windows (the source and the 3d mockup) are Designer files, and both say "embedded". I think Affinity Photo needs to be involved, as "live perspective" filter isn't available in Designer... If that's the case the problem is that this new version of Designer file will not import into Photo – Photo can't handle it (yet).

post-23648-0-29433500-1475794520_thumb.png

wow! i have the same question! how i can make this!!!

omarvelazquez [Graphic Designer]

· OS X 10.9.5 (13F34),  2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB ·Wacom Intuos 3·

www.eslogodesign.com             facebook.com/omarvelazquez.comics       twitter.com/omarvelazquez     facebook.com/eslogodesign

• Staff

Live perspective using Photo is required to do this.

.... the problem is that this new version of Designer file (from 1.5) will not import into Photo (1.4.3) – Photo can't handle it (yet).

Photo will be updated soon to 1.4.4 so that it can load and save Affinity Designer 1.5.1 files. If you need file compatibility now, then please go and get the latest Photo 1.5 beta. When the 1.5 Photo beta ends it will also be released in the App store

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

The creative team are trying to work out the best way of sharing this sort of thing, but not sure when they will get the chance. They're working hard on new stuff for Photo 1.5 at the moment.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Would be great if this file was included for download in the samples section. In fact some built in templates ala UI kit would be very useful alongside the sample files...

The creative team are trying to work out the best way of sharing this sort of thing, but not sure when they will get the chance. They're working hard on new stuff for Photo 1.5 at the moment.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Does anyone know what the workflow/setup is to design 3d packaging mockups like they're showing off at 1:10 in this official video: https://vimeo.com/185763872 ?

The screencap shows that both windows (the source and the 3d mockup) are Designer files, and both say "embedded". I think Affinity Photo needs to be involved, as "live perspective" filter isn't available in Designer... If that's the case the problem is that this new version of Designer file will not import into Photo – Photo can't handle it (yet).

You can anyway copy a Live Perspective Layer form AP (even 1.4.x) and paste it to AD 1.5

It seems to work so far...  :)

I've been using this trick for months, my suggestion is to apply it embedded documents or rasterised versions.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Seems I have the same question regarding the video and the iPhone mock-up, showing a screen from AD beta with a perspective layer effect - so this is not done in AD? I´m still confused:

Cheers

P.

AD and AP share the same engine and file format too.

To use a Live Perspective filter in AD is perfectly possible but you need AP too.

The process is simple.

Create an empty documenti in AP, add a Live Perspective filter.

Copy and Paste this layer in your AD document.

Now you are able to edit it within AD too, clone it, apply to other layers etc...

:)

PS. I don't know if it is an non-orthodox way to use it, but it works.

AD and AP share the same engine and file format too.

To use a Live Perspective filter in AD is perfectly possible but you need AP too.

The process is simple.

Create an empty documenti in AP, add a Live Perspective filter.

Copy and Paste this layer in your AD document.

Now you are able to edit it within AD too, clone it, apply to other layers etc...

:)

PS. I don't know if it is an non-orthodox way to use it, but it works.

Great tip – works! Here's a screencap from Designer 1.5.1:

ad223.png

Just bear in mind that when you drop (paste) the perspective filter layer into Designer, it will probably end up way off the artboard; you have to drag it into place then start distorting.

I copied the perspective layer from a Photo 1.4 file.

• 2 months later...

How to sync the job between AD and AP as the video?
Now I'm able to copy/paste the perspective tool in AD but I would want to see the distorsion only in AP, exactly as the example.

can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks in advance!

There is no live sync between AP and AD, nobody ever talked about this feature I think...  :huh:

What you see in the video is the embedded document feature, shown in Separated Mode.

No symbols needed, only embedded document editing.

To do it:

• Create your document in Designer and save it
  • Open Photo, and using File > Place browse to select that document.
  • Once embedded, use Live Perspective Filter to distort it
  • Now if you select the embedded layer and choose "Edit Document" you'll be able to reproduce the video workflow

All this can be done thanks to the shared file format and architecture.

Hope this could help you.

• Now if you select the embedded layer and choose "Edit Document" you'll be able to reproduce the video workflow

thanks a lot! it helped me to understand.

after some test I've tried also another way ( without AP), take a look

I used symbol + crop tool + skew for an isometri view

box_symbol_layers.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There is no live sync between AP and AD, nobody ever talked about this feature I think...  :huh:

What you see in the video is the embedded document feature, shown in Separated Mode.

No symbols needed, only embedded document editing.

To do it:

All this can be done thanks to the shared file format and architecture.

Hope this could help you.

Is this trick also work in windows version?

i'm also curious with this live mockup on this video