You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You know, it's kinda tough for developers to create and maintain two versions of their apps for the Apple platforms, iOS and macOS, whereas with Windows, they'll just focus on one. Yet, developers painstakingly tread this path, believing wholeheartedly in what seems to be shaping into a brighter future for everybody.

Ash did mention that there are some things that you can do better on an iOS Affinity app compared to a macOS Affinity app. With time, this point will be proven accurate, in my opinion.

I'm already admiring the iOS Photo and Designer (see attached images)!

post-28799-0-32205500-1477993000_thumb.jpg

post-28799-0-84977700-1477993034_thumb.jpg

Mike,

I'm sorry - but this simply isn't true..

The Windows versions of both Affinity Photo and Designer have cost my / Matt's teams no significant time at all. The Windows guys have their own separate development crew - they all know precisely what they are doing and require no support / time from us at all.

I'll be straight with you here - the delays in the DAM project for macOS are due to our prioritisation of iOS versions of our existing products.

This might be controversial to some - but to me is it not. If we are able to produce a feature-for-feature, (very) high performance, Metal-accelerated, full version of Affinity Photo for iPad Pro, then that time is worth spending - even before releasing a public beta of an Affinity DAM product.

Our DAM application has already been started, and certainly will be finished - but as I have said in other threads, don't expect to hear anything significant from us about it until 2017.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Dear Andy,

I find it difficult to understand how you can develop for two very different software/hardware platforms - unless you ignore the advanced resources available from each platform.  For example, are you taking advantage of Apple's hi-end graphics technology (I think its called "Metal") and, are you using their latest development tools?   Or have you reduced both versions to their lowest common denominator so they'll fit both platforms?

I think "ACDSee Mac Pro 3" demonstrates how two OS versions inevitably diverge. The Mac version is riddled with bugs, lacks features, and doesn’t work at all on Sierra.  But, Windows users say their version is rich in features and works perfectly.

As for using an IOS device for serious graphics work or photographic editing, I can only assume you've chosen to head down market.

One more thing...

Anyone still believing that Macs are too expensive should read this…

Perhaps Microsoft won't be so dominant in a few years time.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Surface studio has. 30 bit, DCI-P3 display, as do the iPad pros (not 30 bit).

Tablets are very exciting and useful for pro use if they have an accurate input device. Both iPad Pros and Surface

Tablets do offer accurate pencil/stylus input as well as keyboards.

Stylus input is IMHO very useful for Photo retouching and obviously original content creation sketching etc. With great snapping options as Designer has it will also be an exciting platform for graphic design.

Desktop pro apps will continue to exist but they will have to co-exist with pro tablet apps.

I think tablets are a dead end and would apprexiate the Affinity team not wasting any more time on it. Touch interfaces have (for now) the wow-factor for the masses, but I think most real pro's eyes are just glazing over by now. I "get" that you are supposed to work with lo-res proxy files, but that inevitably leads to a lot of potential syncing issues and preview rendering time I'd rather not deal with (been there). Not to mention how a touch interface slows you down and inevitably leads to ergonomic nightmare when working long hours compared to touch-typing shortcuts on a keyboard, and using a Wacom pen in combination with a dedicated controller like the Countor ShuttlePro v2, that can be programmed with all the macros you need/want in the palm of your hand, with physical keys and wheels that you can feel with your fingers without having to look at them, without taking your eyes away from the screen (ok, someone will correct me here and tell me that you don't have to take your eyes away from the screen when the input device IS the screen, but that leads back to the ergonomical nightmare part again, when you have to wave your hands over a large surface all day your shoulders and neck will start to hurt after a while). As "cool" as the IPad Pro/Surface may seem, there's of course also issues related to colour management and calibration. I get it, real pro's are in the minority, the majority of paying customers are amateurs or semi-pro, but I get kind of sick every time I see "pro" features announced that have everything to do with coolness and wow-factor and very little to do with actual pro usage. Like Apple's MacBook Pro announcement days ago, where they showcased the MBP with two 5K dispalys and two RAIDs and promoting it as a pro workstation. I tried that once before, and the fans on my MBP died. I don't think their cooling technology have improved that much in the couple of years passed. Most seasoned pros rightfully stick to the tested and true KISS principle. Which means hard keys and dials and beefy desktop workstations and calibrated displays.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Dear Andy,

I find it difficult to understand how you can develop for two very different software/hardware platforms - unless you ignore the advanced resources available from each platform.  For example, are you taking advantage of Apple's hi-end graphics technology (I think its called "Metal") and, are you using their latest development tools?   Or have you reduced both versions to their lowest common denominator so they'll fit both platforms?

I think "ACDSee Mac Pro 3" demonstrates how two OS versions inevitably diverge. The Mac version is riddled with bugs, lacks features, and doesn’t work at all on Sierra.  But, Windows users say their version is rich in features and works perfectly.

As for using an IOS device for serious graphics work or photographic editing, I can only assume you've chosen to head down market.

One more thing...

Anyone still believing that Macs are too expensive should read this…

Perhaps Microsoft won't be so dominant in a few years time.

Hope this helps,

Mike

That only applies to large enterprise installations.  Single/small business users are another matter altogether.   And my beef as a single user is the current price up/value for money down trend.  

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Our DAM application has already been started, and certainly will be finished - but as I have said in other threads, don't expect to hear anything significant from us about it until 2017.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

just today I took a quick look into Capture One 10 beta and looked at the On1 RAW browser features and it really seems as if you don´t have to fear much competition in the coming months or even years  ^_^ this being said it would be even more appreciated to actually get a great DAM App asap  :lol:

just today I took a quick look into Capture One 10 beta and looked at the On1 RAW browser features and it really seems as if you don´t have to fear much competition in the coming months or even years  ^_^ this being said it would be even more appreciated to actually get a great DAM App asap  :lol:

I'm sure you're probably correct, so we'll just have to wait.  I'm very curious about the Capture One 10 Beta you mention.   Is it freely available and is there a new beta for Media Pro?

I'm sure you're probably correct, so we'll just have to wait.  I'm very curious about the Capture One 10 Beta you mention.   Is it freely available and is there a new beta for Media Pro?

well I´ve got 9 pro and had to just sign up but after reading the changelog of 10 and seeing that they left out many peaces I already knew it was not done with much care so I did not even install the dmg. There was only one interesting part which is sharpening in 3 stages.

- sharpening after capture

- creative sharpening 

- output sharpening

(or something similar to that)

that makes some sense to me or at least sounds like an interesting approach

I love the session concept of C1 but I just can´t see me using it for actually managing a big collection of sessions/ a big catalog on multiple computers. Really hope Affinity has that option.

On1 is just a fancy browser with few editing tools for 100€ but I´ve got C1p for 50€ as a Sony user so....

btw the YouTube video from PhaseOne concerning the C1 beta program had under 1000 views so that shows something.

If we are able to produce a feature-for-feature, (very) high performance, Metal-accelerated, full version of Affinity Photo for iPad Pro, then that time is worth spending 

Andy.

I have to agree ... even although I would love to see a DAM.

I realise it's all secret at the moment Andy, but can you tell us how you are planning to use the iPad Pro in practical terms.  Specifically, will we be able to work on a jpeg on the iPad then transfer our edits to a full sized file on the Mac, or will it work directly on a raw file or afphoto file etc.?

I'm seriously considering the iPad Pro and Affinity Photo running on it will be a major point regarding purchase.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

well I´ve got 9 pro and had to just sign up but after reading the changelog of 10 and seeing that they left out many peaces I already knew it was not done with much care so I did not even install the dmg. There was only one interesting part which is sharpening in 3 stages.

- sharpening after capture

- creative sharpening 

- output sharpening

(or something similar to that)

that makes some sense to me or at least sounds like an interesting approach

I love the session concept of C1 but I just can´t see me using it for actually managing a big collection of sessions/ a big catalog on multiple computers. Really hope Affinity has that option.

On1 is just a fancy browser with few editing tools for 100€ but I´ve got C1p for 50€ as a Sony user so....

btw the YouTube video from PhaseOne concerning the C1 beta program had under 1000 views so that shows something.

The YouTube video seems to have gone.

Adobe have just updated Photoshop and Bridge to Photoshop CC (2017) and Bridge CC (2017) - according to that CC control panel widget thing on my Mac.   A bit weird as its still 2016.    Lightroom remains as Lightroom CC (2015), so perhaps a "major" update is imminent for that too.  It certainly needs one, particularly on the catalogue side.   Oh, wishful thinking...

I have to agree ... even although I would love to see a DAM.

I realise it's all secret at the moment Andy, but can you tell us how you are planning to use the iPad Pro in practical terms.  Specifically, will we be able to work on a jpeg on the iPad then transfer our edits to a full sized file on the Mac, or will it work directly on a raw file or afphoto file etc.?

I'm seriously considering the iPad Pro and Affinity Photo running on it will be a major point regarding purchase.

I can assure you that it will be able to develope raw and also is full filetype compatible with the desktop version.

@Mike it's a private video, the link is exposed after signing up for their beta

and also is full filetype compatible with the desktop version.

Thanks MBd, but I have no idea what this means, at least, not in context of the question I asked.  Can you elucidate a bit?

There is an assumption that the files we work on, on iPad, are "watered-down" versions of the originals. Whatever changes made to these copies, will then trickle up to the originals, which would be stored elsewhere. This assumed approach is supposed to go easy on syncing and local (iPad) storage, I'd like to think. Downside, we could run into some resolution-fidelity issue quickly.

I hope Serif will implement an entirely different paradigm, one that is both efficient amd effective.

Thanks MBd, but I have no idea what this means, at least, not in context of the question I asked. Can you elucidate a bit?

It is the same afdesign file, no resolution downscaling or anything like that, no conversion, it is just the same as the desktop version but with a touch UI and a performance close to a macpro because the iPad can access the same memory by GPU and CPU without having to write them from one to another like on a desktop setup.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4978-support-of-dual-gpu-new-mac-pro/?p=20791

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4978-support-of-dual-gpu-new-mac-pro/?p=22499

It'll be 2017 in less than 2 months. iPad Photo will be released in no time, followed by Designer. Then the DAM will make its way. Just wish that could happen now though.

It's just like when you were a kid, getting excited in the lead up to Christmas.  

Come 2017, there'll be another 12 months of waiting. In an earlier post, they've already indicated Affinity DAM won't be released until 2018. Before they went Windows, they promised 2016.

Let's go easy on Serif, guys. They are but a small team compared to Adobe behemoth. The fact that they decided to go with releasing Windows apps means that they have a very good strategy to expand brand awareness and user base, which should help to improve the quality of the existing apps we love.

A solid requirements process, amongst other things, is crucial to ensure that chances of screwing up big-time in the future are minimised. Time is needed to ideate, prototype and test. Serif is doing all this in our interest. With the work they've released this far, we are indefinitely grateful to them.

I just read (in the great Affinity Designer WorkBook) that Affinity is working on DAM software. As an owner of Affinity Photo & Designer, and an old fan of Aperture (RIP), this was a great way to start the day.

-Neil

Indeed!

And we hope that Serif take their inspiration from Aperture AND NOT from Lightroom.

Aperture still a wonderful UI and such a shame that Apple have moved away from pros ... but it's another opportunity for Serif.

As someone with a completely satisfactory DAM (Media Pro) I'm much more eager for iPad Photo, which I will definitely buy.

LilleG, please tell me more.  By the time I got round to trial Media Pro SE, my 30 days were up.  Phase One refused to extend the trial, so I didn't buy it.  It looks good on paper, but what do you really think?   Is it better than Lightroom and Capture One?   Forum comments indicate some frustration and lack of development.  I for one, am interested to hear anything you have to say.