You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I couldn't find any topic related to this, if there is one, please forgive me.

So, Affinity Designer is available to acquisition in 1.5 version. 

I will get a new laptop next Black Friday and I was wondering if I'll be able to use my license on it and uninstall from this laptop, or will I have to get other license?

• Staff

Hi tiago1801,

Affinity Designer (1.5) for Windows is not available for purchase yet. Only the 1.5 version for Mac was released commercially today.

For Windows you have to continue to use the Public Beta which you can install on as many computers as you want until it becomes available for purchase later this year. At that point you will have to purchase a license.

• Staff

Yes you can do that. We have not made the number of computers public yet, but it seems fair to match the single user 5 machines rule that the Mac version has, so 2 computers with one user is going to be fine.

I'm sure we will make this explicit when the Windows version is released

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi desult,

Yes, you can install the software both on your desktop and laptop (assuming both are running on the same platform - both macs or both Windows machines and that you own both computers).

Do you have to actually own the computers, or is it sufficient that you are the primary user?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes you can do that. We have not made the number of computers public yet, but it seems fair to match the single user 5 machines rule that the Mac version has, so 2 computers with one user is going to be fine.

The Mac App Store terms allow you to install & use the apps purchased there on an unlimited number of Macs as long as they are not used for commercial purposes. For commercial purposes, you can buy one copy for a single user to use on multiple Macs, or one copy for multiple users to use on one Mac, but not both.

The 5 machines rule does not apply to apps.

From http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html

App Store Content:

- The term “App” includes apps, iMessage and Apple Watch apps, in-app purchases, extensions (such as keyboards), stickers, and subscriptions made available in an app.

- You can use Apps on any device that you own or control.

- Individuals acting on behalf of a commercial enterprise, governmental organization or educational institution (an “Enterprise”) may download and sync Apps for use by either (i) a single individual on one or more devices owned or controlled by an Enterprise; or (ii) multiple individuals on a single shared device owned or controlled by an Enterprise. For the sake of clarity, each device used serially or collectively by multiple users requires a separate license.

This rule may be different for other countries, but the UK version is identical to the US one.

EDIT: for some reason this site is mangling the URL for the iTunes terms page. Maybe this indirect link will work better.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of creating a new topic, maybe I can ask about my concerns here. I am thinking of switching to a Mac; not that there is anything wrong with the Windows version, but more so with the Windows machines. As much as I want to purchase the Windows license, I might purchase the Mac one instead.

1. If needed, how does one deactivate a license? Five activations is grand, but let's say for a very improbable instance that I running into problems with five machines. How would I deactivate the licenses so I can install the program later.

2. There was a discussion in another topic that there are still bugs in the finalized Mac version. Aside from the betas of the next version, will new patches still be made to the previous version if needed? (I thought I understood how the updates worked, but I guess not.)

3. Similar to what Alfred asked, does a user actually need to own the computer? Would it be acceptable to lend an activation to a friend as long as I am the primary holder?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

1. There is no need to "deactivate" a license for a Mac App Store (MAS) purchase. The license is non-transferable & as the terms & conditions excerpt I quoted says, there is no 5 device limit. For commercial/educational/government institution use, you need to buy one license per seat or one license per user. For non-commercial use, there is no limit imposed by the license -- you could download & install it on a dozen Macs that you own or control.

2. Updates to MAS apps are provided through the Mac App Store application, a core app provided with OS X. They are not patches; instead they are full versions with an incremented version number. The process is simple: you open the MAS app, click the Update tab, & your system is scanned for all available updates for all MAS apps. If a new version is available, it is listed with a button you can click to automatically download & install it, replacing the earlier version. There is also an 'update all' button if updates for more than one app are available. There is a System Preference for the MAS app with options to allow you to download updates in the background, optionally automatically install them, & even to automatically download MAS apps purchased on other Macs using the same Apple ID.

3. As per the licensing terms, you can install the app on any Mac you own or control. But the licensing terms do not permit you to "lend" an activation to someone else using a Mac you do not own or control. (There can be only one owner or controller of a Mac.) Technically, it is possible to permanently authorize those Macs, but this involves entering the purchaser's Apple ID & password on each of those Macs & leaving an audit trail that Apple could conceivably use to revoke all your licensing rights to everything associated with that Apple ID.

The only exception to #3 is Family Sharing, but that is restricted to family members the "family organizer" enrolls in the program, which makes that person financially responsible for everything purchased by the family with any family member's Apple ID. Family Sharing is limited to six total members (the organizer & up to five other family members) & cannot be used with apps used for commercial purposes. Additionally, all family members must live in the same country & are subject to that country's limits to & exclusions from specific licensing terms as per its laws.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you very much for your responses.

In regards to #1, I do plan on using the program for commercial use. It's my goal to start my own business by making readable comics for kids online.

In the exception of #3, you're saying that as long as I take full responsibility in making sure that family does not take advantage of the product key or use the program for commercial use, it would be okay?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

It's my goal to start my own business by making readable comics for kids online.

That sounds like a much better idea than making unreadable ones! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In the exception of #3, you're saying that as long as I take full responsibility in making sure that family does not take advantage of the product key or use the program for commercial use, it would be okay?

You can't use Family Sharing for apps you use for commercial purposes. But as the owner of the commercial enterprise, you can allow multiple users to use the app on one Mac (a one seat license). In this case, if you want to use the app on another Mac as well, you would need to buy a second license for it (one license per seat). Alternately, you could use one license on several Macs you own, but then only you could use the app on any of them (a one user license).

There is no product key as such. Each MAS app is tied to the Apple ID used to purchase it, so in that respect any number of apps could be 'keyed' to the same Apple ID. There is a receipt file in each MAS app encrypted with info for that specific Apple ID. When you first download the app from MAS, you must be signed in with the Apple ID you want to purchase it with. (It is possible to have more than one Apple ID, although most users don't.) The receipt file is generated at that time. If you copy the app to another Mac, you must authenticate by entering that ID (& its password) before it will run, thus authorizing that Mac to use it.

In practice, it is less complicated than it sounds.

Affinity Photo 

That sounds like a much better idea than making unreadable ones! :P

Hey Alfred, Lowes called. They want their tools back.  :rolleyes:

In practice, it is less complicated than it sounds.

I'm sure it is. I just want to be on top of it all. Thank you for the information.