You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Buried! page 1, 2, 3... and 4!!

giantlobsterprd

Creating my own "pre-code" horror comic... just a taster.

Addendum: have added page 2.

Addendendum: have added page 3. This is all for now, cos I'm back on an animation job for the next two weeks  :(

Another addendendendum: have been animating for the man for three months and have finally got back onto this. Page 4 added!

I have missed working with Affinity. How's that iPad version coming along?

post-4584-0-86480700-1475748888_thumb.png

post-4584-0-33083100-1475836776_thumb.png

post-4584-0-75025200-1476386453_thumb.png

post-4584-0-30123500-1487675920_thumb.png

---

Dan Robinson  |  Giant Lobster Productions Ltd

Web: giantlobster.uk

Instagram: @giantlobsterprd

"Art is never finished – only abandoned." - LdV

Really like this. Great job of setting the scene in the first page and escalation of events in the second. I gotta see what happens next. 

Only nit is the serif "I" in words, where the san serif "I" should be used. Visit www.blambot.com and download some of the free* fonts there and it'll improve the "look" of the lettering and mesh better with your word balloon style. (*free as in for personal and indie commercial projects). Check out this page, also from Blambot, for some good basic lettering info: http://www.blambot.com/articles_grammar.shtml 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Hahaha nowhere

Dan! You're being cruel. Publish it...

You should read a series of books called Introducing....Maths/Philosophy/Modernism etc.

Big ideas in a small book: works best when you need or want to fill in the gaps in your knowledge on a particular subject. These are very well written.

(Think Horrible Histories meets scrap booking for the University Challenge fans). However, the way they are illustrated is very deconstructed; by using photocopied photos with line drawings, sketches and comic book style art, as well as a liberal dosage of speech bubbles and bite sized text. 

This is what a scattergun approach to research looks like, multiple formats and sources, in its rawest format: before an editor polishes it to death. :P

I have read several of these books and I really like them a lot.

Mike.. I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Hmm, why not hire this woman as your house keeper?  :wacko: :blink:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt016gTNp_k

Fatal Floor - British 1970's information film

Edited by peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Really like this. Great job of setting the scene in the first page and escalation of events in the second. I gotta see what happens next. 

Only nit is the serif "I" in words, where the san serif "I" should be used. Visit www.blambot.com and download some of the free* fonts there and it'll improve the "look" of the lettering and mesh better with your word balloon style. (*free as in for personal and indie commercial projects). Check out this page, also from Blambot, for some good basic lettering info: http://www.blambot.com/articles_grammar.shtml 

Mike - I'll defer to your greater knowledge on this, I'm only just starting to dabble in comics and I'm relying heavily on c*mic s*ns (if nothing else, to prove this typeface isn't beyond redemption, and it's how you use it that's important). I'll have a look at some of the fonts on Blambot though, I expect they are more fit for purpose.

Have got a third page of this in the works so will post it up in the next day or so...

---

You should read a series of books called Introducing....Maths/Philosophy/Modernism etc.

I've got the one about Quantum Mechanics. It's really cool. Still don't understand a chuffing word of it, though...

---

Wow a fellow reader of these books! :D

As for understanding Quantum Theory/Physics/Mechanics...maybe it's not meant to be understood. As I seem to think, that it's a bit of a fudge (I only got a D in O-Level Physics). So until something more simple, elegant and more comprehensible comes along this will have to do, give or take 100 years.

There is a joke that says, 'That if you say that understand the subject: then you really don't really know what's going on'. :unsure:

That's Quantum for you.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

Oh Peter, you're so quantum! :P

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Mike - I'll defer to your greater knowledge on this, I'm only just starting to dabble in comics and I'm relying heavily on c*mic s*ns (if nothing else, to prove this typeface isn't beyond redemption, and it's how you use it that's important). I'll have a look at some of the fonts on Blambot though, I expect they are more fit for purpose.

Have got a third page of this in the works so will post it up in the next day or so...

There's some neat EC comics-style fonts that look like they were done with the Leroy Lettering system that was used in those comics. Trivia: the stories were written and paneled out and lettered before the artist touched the bristol board! 

Here's one from Blambot that's free: http://www.blambot.com/font_manlymen.shtml

Keep in mind that line breaks are important. The "shape" of the text block should resemble a diamond: the top and bottom lines are shorter than the middle line(s). It makes comics read a bit better and the balloon (not Bubble, fyi @peter) can have more of a rounded shape. It a bit of a struggle at first until you just find yourself doing it automagically. Widows and orphans are more than just a story troupe in comics, they are allowed in dialog text. 

As far as the font that shall not be named goes, one word: don't. Okay two words: don't ever. Mostly because of the way that it's viewed by the public as a childlike and "informal" (read: amateur) font used in garage sale and lemonade stand signage. It is beyond redemption. Kill it with fire! Oops, sorry, excuse me.

Besides, imho, that font just didn't mesh well with your artwork, especially with the word balloon outlines. 

If you don't have a Tumblr, get one and you can publish your comic online. I really think it's deserving (thus far) of a wider audience.

Now where's page 3?

---

Trivia: the stories were written and paneled out and lettered before the artist touched the bristol board! 

That sounds like a horrible way to work, but then I'm not a team player, I like to do everything myself. 

Yeah I've long been considering some kind of tumblr just as an outlet for this stuff, it's very different from my commercial work and doesn't really sit well in my illustration portfolio.

Here's page 2 with the typeface you suggested: 

post-4584-0-16586500-1476351833_thumb.png

Feels to me like the line weight around the balloons now needs to come down, as the inbuilt kerning is greater and gives the typeface a lighter feel than c*mic s*ans has. Thoughts?

---

If not selling it, can you not publish it with something like iBooks? and use it as a marketing tool? looks far too good to just gather dust in the back of a back up disk.

Well it started as a bit of practice, and a tribute to an era of American comics that I've got a lot of love for... now it's turning into an actual thing, and I've got two other stories part-written, so yeah, I might have to do something with them. Maybe a compendium. I guess I could publish on iBooks, or maybe Lulu.com so I can get an actual printed thing in my hands! Oh the possibilities...

Thanks for the compliment anyway, it's all very encouraging   :)

---

Worth the wait! Page 3 is pretty darn awesome. The composition of the entire page is stunning and the last panel, if the bird's eye view and the stark white of the headlights wasn't enough there's -- "Ted, a word." Feels like a heel-turn's a-coming. Feels like I am reading a 50's horror comic. Well done, sir. Well done.

Looking forward to more "spare-time/down-time" pages when your current assignment wraps. 

---

Mike, thanks for the correction on bubbles and balloons. :)

Am I right in thinking, that balloons are for speech, bubbles are for thoughts. Whereas angular shapes are for telephones/loud speakers/squawking etc?

headers-and-speech-4.jpg

speech-bubbles.jpg

What's your approach?

Well it started as a bit of practice, and a tribute to an era of American comics that I've got a lot of love for... now it's turning into an actual thing, and I've got two other stories part-written, so yeah, I might have to do something with them. Maybe a compendium. I guess I could publish on iBooks, or maybe Lulu.com so I can get an actual printed thing in my hands! Oh the possibilities...

Thanks for the compliment anyway, it's all very encouraging   :)

Dan,

Page three seems to have finished the story: but it can also lead to another chapter. Just like Arabian Nights by Scheherazade

Your story telling is excellent, just like your artwork.

This three frame/page format is perfect, for newspapers...Think Garfield/Hagar/The Horrible/Striker/Garth et al.

Pinterest or Deviant art, come on lad, you can should publish it! ;)

Mike, thanks for the correction on bubbles and balloons. :)

Am I right in thinking, that balloons are for speech, bubbles are for thoughts. Whereas angular shapes are for telephones/loud speakers/squawking etc?

headers-and-speech-4.jpg

speech-bubbles.jpg

What's your approach?

They're all Balloons, except for the caption box. Usually some of these special balloons would be described in the script inside parenthesis.

From left to right/ top to bottom:

Speech = Word balloon

Thought = thought balloon

Whisper = word balloon (whisper)

Burst = word ballon (burst)

Radio= word balloon (radio or electronic)

Telepathic = word balloon (telepathic)

Usually if speciality balloons are called for (like Radio, telepathic, etc) the writer includes a page that describes the balloon (sometimes with samples) and labels them. So in the second graphic the script could go like this:

Peter:

You'll never get away with this!

This doesn't have any descriptors, as it's dialog and automatically gets a word balloon. Do note that bold words are bolded in the script and italics can be italics or underlined. It's concidered good form to only have the actual text that will appear in the balloon/caption and that any style be applied to the text. Some will use different colors to indicate a special style (some comic book fonts have regular, Bold, italic, light, light italics, etc so on) which is described in the "codex" page. 

In case of a thought balloon:

Peter (thinking):

You'll never get away this this!

Jagged/burst:

Peter (burst):

You'll never get away with this

Doing the Professor X thing:

Peter (telepathic):

To me, my Vectors!

And the caption:

Caption:

To be continued, true believer!

----

Note that the dialog is on its own line, this is so that the letterer can just 3x-click it, copy it and paste w/o style in the lettering app, like Affinity Designer. :)

In case there's 2 balloons that are to be connected it could look like this:

Peter:

You'll never get away with this!

Peter (connected):

Not if I can help it!!

There's no "set" scripting format for comics, so every writer has their own way of doing things. Hope this helps and doesn't derail this wonderful thread... :D

---

I'm now picturing Peter as a malevolent super-villain with telepathic abilities...  ;)

There's some great reading around the pre-code age if anyone's interested - I recently picked this up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Horror-Comic-Books-Government-Didnt/dp/0810955954/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i4_r

Also there's lots of collected volumes of Tales from the Crypt (in my wishlist)

---

I'm now picturing Peter as a malevolent super-villain with telepathic abilities...  ;)

There's some great reading around the pre-code age if anyone's interested - I recently picked this up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Horror-Comic-Books-Government-Didnt/dp/0810955954/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i4_r

Also there's lots of collected volumes of Tales from the Crypt (in my wishlist)

Well, if the cap fits... :P

post-705-0-07454300-1476655196_thumb.jpg