You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI MBd

The Grade UI kit is an already established kit that was converted for Affinity instead of being custom made, therefore we did not not want to alter to contents unnecessarily

The box is multiple instances of the same embedded file presenting at different perspective to give the box appearance. Updating the single embedded file applies it to all the instances. Currently this require Photo and was to partly to demonstrate the ability to switch seamlessly between the apps. We may consider releasing some sort of template at some point in the future for those who wish to do this, but do not have access to Photo.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

• Staff

RC1 -> MAS wasn't too much of a surprise though, given that we were 27 (internal) builds into the beta cycle! ;)

I don't know the definitive answers to either of the questions, but I do know that the Grade UI Kit will probably be iterated on in the future and hopefully improved to make use of Constraints now that they are in the shipping, stable version of Affinity Designer. Also, the video is probably using 3 different Perspective layers from Photo to achieve the distorting effect and then using the same embedded document under each layer - that's my guess :)

Thanks! :)

Matt

EDIT: Beaten to it - and with the same answers (less smilies though!)  ;)

yeah MattP that´s right but it also coped with 10months of work

ok definitely see the thing with perspective filters, pretty sure this will bring many others to the forums as well  :D

basically you just need an af file with one perspective filter and you have all you need

I already though about it, like a file with all live filters that was somewhere to download for all AD users, and a circle with a text path for the photo users....not very convenient but maybe a solution for some 

btw how does Ash communicate with the tutorial maker?

he has gained a significant pace in the latest video  :D 

EDIT

not sure if this became clear, I meant to say in a funny way that Ash speaks so fast that compared to the traditional (good for tutorials) tutorial speed, the Tutorial maker could have trouble understanding Ash in a way slow speaking people sometimes don´t understand fast speaking people - was not a serious criticism from my side

Edited by MBd

• Staff

MBd,

why don´t the assets in the grade UI kit make use of constraints?

The Grade UI kit had to be ready for release when the app was ready, and so was created while the feature was still being written and when it was in beta. It would have been difficult to have this whole kit available for launch using the beta only feature. However, we have spent a long time on the Grade UI Sample file (that is included in the kit download) which demonstrates how to apply constraints to elements the kit if you wish.

how is the thing done at 1:11

https://vimeo.com/185763872

I think it also shows the fantastic way that Affinity Designer interacts perfectly with Affinity Photo, and the file interchangability. It may be good in the future to provide some pre-designed templates with Designer that make this easy for those who don't own Photo.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor

ok I see, didn´t know about this kit, sorry. I thought it was developed by your guys as I didn´t bother with the QuickStart guide in first place :ph34r:

Hi MBd,

Ash and Neil (our Creative Director) do all the videos by themselves - concepts, artwork, script, editing, everything! - which is pretty darned impressive, to be honest! 

Thanks,

Matt

Yeah especially loved the Affinity Logo in the beginning  :D also pretty impressing how James dives into 3D rendering at the moment.

Hi MBd,

Ash and Neil (our Creative Director) do all the promotional videos by themselves - concepts, artwork, script, editing, everything! - which is pretty darned impressive, to be honest! 

Thanks,

Matt

At first when I saw the vid of Ash and the big blank wall, I was like, yeah I get this whole negative space thing but... then a few seconds in I was like, that's very cool. Not seen a tutorial put across that way before. I love it...

I'm a Motion man myself, so, very impressed with the vids of late. Great work Neil and Mr H...

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Congrats @MattP and the rest of the team you guys knocked this release out of the park! Symbols, Constraints and Asset Management are huge productivity boosters, thanks for all the hard work. The website and videos and tutorials all look great. Hats off to the entire company, you guys are making the future  very exciting. Can't wait for Affinity Publisher Beta, and Designer and Photo (and Publisher) on iOS. Still holding off on that iPad Pro until you guys release the software, lol... I want the latest and shiniest hardware for Affinity :D Cheers !!!

RC1 -> MAS wasn't too much of a surprise though, given that we were 27 (internal) builds into the beta cycle! ;)

I don't know the definitive answers to either of the questions, but I do know that the Grade UI Kit will probably be iterated on in the future and hopefully improved to make use of Constraints now that they are in the shipping, stable version of Affinity Designer. Also, the video is probably using 3 different Perspective layers from Photo to achieve the distorting effect and then using the same embedded document under each layer - that's my guess :)

Matt

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Matt

Looking @ this link @ 14:05 to 14:20 -

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/ui-design-software/

The template was done in AP. The artboard was then moved under the perspective filter layer to achieve the effect. Yes, no?

Question:

How do you embed the same document under three separate layers? I thought this would closely resemble a "linking" feature rather than embedding.

Take a look @ this other video, the software used was Carapace by Epic Games. Sadly, they have taken the link for the software down.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/perspective-grid-utility/

Creating vanishing points on the fly reminds me much about Procreate. But the cool part would be to create/extrapolate perspective lines by tracing an existing object, 1:50 to 2:00, for example.

In my opinion, AD/AP could and should have these features and also making the perspective grids snappable.

Serif team, take note! Unless you guys have better solutions, I think a lot of others would like them too. Thank you in advance.

Thanks for your feedback @Sarizaz and welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can still download Carapace (by Epic Games) from here (this is only available for Windows).

Thanks MEB for the link!.

By the way, I am still trying to figure out this: 

https://vimeo.com/185763872 at 1:11

Can someone share the effective method via a video tutorial soon? We can all benefit as a community. 

Hi MBd,

Ash and Neil (our Creative Director) do all the promotional videos by themselves - concepts, artwork, script, editing, everything! - which is pretty darned impressive, to be honest! 

Thanks,

Matt

Umm, are they for hire? :P  You've made me a double fan now, not just of the apps, but also of your own creative work because I 100% share the opinion of others that your marketing videos are *excellent* (I like the explainers too, but they're more "work" videos as they focus on one topic or process).

I'm busy with a startup, and AD and AP will already be part of the Mac default software loadset (can't use Windows due to fairly high security demands).  One of the things I'll need to organise is punchy marketing.  You guys reduced a veritable treasure trove of new features to 2 minutes of video without missing out much, which is an exceptionally rare skill in itself  :) .

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to have a look at all the videos to see what you've added to 1.5.  I might be a while  :D

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

At first when I saw the vid of Ash and the big blank wall, I was like, yeah I get this whole negative space thing but... then a few seconds in I was like, that's very cool. Not seen a tutorial put across that way before. I love it...

I agree.  One of the most impressive things that video put on the table was AD's speed as you could see it live on the screen as it was being done (amplified by the fact that you could see Ash having to wait for a file to load halfway through :) ).  That said, I would do something about picking up the mouse scraping sound - maybe use a cardioid boom mike (or return to computer GUI's first accessory, the mouse mat  :P).  Very well done, and possibly setting a new trend for the tutorial industry overall..

Regards, Binc

ok definitely see the thing with perspective filters, pretty sure this will bring many others to the forums as well  :D

Yes, we're joining you from the Perspective Tool discussion :)

Regards, Binc

Thanks for your feedback @Sarizaz and welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can still download Carapace (by Epic Games) from here (this is only available for Windows).

That has gone 404 - it appears the domain owner suffered ICANN's not so bright "WAP" approach to domain name owner verification (just look at http://www.warrenmarshall.biz/ and you'll see the notice).  Just give it a few weeks until the site owner discovers the notification in his spam folder  :P .  Back to that topic: the video of this software shows a sensible approach to perspective management, it's clearly been developed by someone who spends a lot of time drawing in that space (if you pardon the pun :) ).  I'd say that AD could massively feature in that world too.

Regards, Binc

https://youtu.be/ZGfhgZfHX5U

Is PHlearn possibly reading this forum?

LOL - yes, the timing is, umm, "interesting" , also because this too features perspective and vanishing points (I've been led to believe that something is cooking on that front in Affinity so I won't nag any further - well, other than for a go at the beta  ;)  ;) ).

I'd also be very interested in a worked example of the shoe box used in the 1.5 demo, even if that is spread over a few videos to keep it structured.  I suspect I won't be the only one returning to that set a few times - there are so many uses for it..  

The other benefit is that it'll be on Vimeo, which is FAR less infested than Youtube with advertising and tracking  :blink: ..

Regards, Binc

Only thing missing is adding a Lighting Effects filter to match the naturally gradated lighting on the box sides...

https://youtu.be/ZGfhgZfHX5U
Is PHlearn possibly reading this forum?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

I'd also be very interested in a worked example of the shoe box used in the 1.5 demo, even if that is spread over a few videos to keep it structured.  I suspect I won't be the only one returning to that set a few times - there are so many uses for it..  

That currently requires owning Photo 1.5 to create the warp "template" that can display the embedded designer document, but I think it may lead to some cross sales, and show people the power of both apps combined. Indeed we should make a series of videos emphasising the benefits of owning both products. Our guys are very busy with release videos for Photo 1.5 and Windows Designer, but I will mention it to them.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I think it may lead to some cross sales, and show people the power of both apps combined. Indeed we should make a series of videos emphasising the benefits of owning both products.

I licensed both AD and AP so I'm looking forward to that "other" 1.5 as well.  At the price you're licensing this it's almost obligatory to just get the set  ^_^

Regards, Binc

here is the file for the shoe box

it is not finished because AD and AP both crash while modifying the destination of the perspective filter

I´ve included a text on a circle in the embedded document so that the photo guys can also benefit from AD and not only the designers from photo ;)

cheers

Untitled2.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...