You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm new to Affinity photo, I've learned some of the editing features.  I have done a photo shoot the other day and I edited the pictures. Naturally I saved them and as well exported them as Jpegs (so that they can open up on their PC as I have a Mac). I put all the pictures on a usb for them to open, on my computer it says .jpg but then on their PC it is not jpg. I don't know what to do… it's frustrating as I want them to be able to open the pictures!

Help :)

• Staff

On their PC is it possible that the file extension is hidden (as it is by default on Windows)? have they tried opening them on the Windows PC. To reassure yourself they could turn file extensions on (they can google it) or look at one of the file properties on Windows and the details tab will say what type of file it is.

Microsoft used to show the file extensions, with an option to hide, but for many years now they have hidden it with an option to show. The hiding does not stop the files from working.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

From the way I read your first question, this has nothing to do with the export settings in Affinity, you have not exported incorrectly, and the files are JPG ones.

Go back and read my reply, which is all about how Explorer on Windows PCs work and whether PCs do or don't display the file extension. In other words the tiles you have given them are JPG files, they will work as JPG files, they just can't see the extension because it is hidden by an option in Explorer.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon