You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Peacock from Illustrator to AD

Dalia

As I've said before, I'm not a pro just someone who enjoys playing.  My knowledge of Illustrator is zero and perhaps that's a plus for me in trying to "translate" something done in Illustrator to Designer.  Followed this tutorial https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-vibrant-peacock-in-adobe-illustrator--cms-20503 .  Still a work in progress and tweaking but this is what AD helped me do. 

post-35070-0-08303600-1475594999_thumb.jpg

Looking good. It must have been tricky doing this in AD if it was intended as an Illustrator tut. 

One crit would be that I find the blurred elements a little distracting and I wonder if they need to blurred?

Thank you for your welcomed comments retrograde.  You know I'm so glad you mentioned the blurred elements - they were part of the writer's tutorial and they are very distracting because I just couldn't quite emulate the effect.  

Only 64 steps in the original, some of which use functions not currently present in AD. An amazing feat.

I think the blur problem is partly because some of the thin hairline feathers are not blurred a little, as in the original. Step eleven, section 5. That adds to the depth blur effect.

Also, there may be some slight differences in how the blend modes in the 2 apps work.

How long to do the project, if you recall.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Only 64 steps in the original, some of which use functions not currently present in AD. An amazing feat.

I think the blur problem is partly because some of the thin hairline feathers are not blurred a little, as in the original. Step eleven, section 5. That adds to the depth blur effect.

Also, there may be some slight differences in how the blend modes in the 2 apps work.

How long to do the project, if you recall.

Thank you for your input on the feathers!  Will play with that a bit.

To answer your question about how long it took?  I would say about two weeks - I'd get frustrated - drop it - go back to it but, I was determined.

I really like this work .... so fresh and vibrant, I also agree about the fuzzy feathers, I'm sure if they were drawn like the rest (sharp) they would be fine, if you want to make it slightly different how about reversing the colours inside the fuzzy ones i.e.  put yellow where the blues are and blues where the yellow-orange-red is?

I really like this work .... so fresh and vibrant, I also agree about the fuzzy feathers, I'm sure if they were drawn like the rest (sharp) they would be fine, if you want to make it slightly different how about reversing the colours inside the fuzzy ones i.e.  put yellow where the blues are and blues where the yellow-orange-red is?

Merritt, I really like that idea - still tweaking on and off.  Thank you for your encouraging input.