You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - RC1)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Submitted

Download: 1.5 RC1 Here (Updated at 15:31 BST to include a few extra bits)

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• macOS Sierra improvements (some dialogs were not getting their input boxes auto-selected which was a nuisance)
  • Sharpen Tool (in Pixel Persona) now correctly performs Blur when holding down Alt/Option
  • Auto-selecting layers with the new Preferences item won't force expansion of selected group nodes now
  • Updated Assets
  • Fix for colour conversion issue seen when copy/pasting a placed image which is of a different colour profile to the document
  • Layer effects now allow the user to type in values in different units (points, inches, etc)
  • Huge performance increase for marquee selection of objects in multi-artboard documents
  • Correctly import miter limit in SVG documents
  • PDF import and export of transparency groups should be much improved now
  • Aligning objects in a symbol instance failed to redraw the newly aligned objects in other symbol instances
  • Better logic for dragging out an Asset with constraints on it while Cmd is held
  • PSD export of raster clipping masks improved
  • PSD import fixes and improvements relating to solid white layers and being able to optimise and just use an opaque white document instead
  • Slice Tool should respond to Escape correctly now
  • Fix for occasional Symbol issue manifesting as the detachment of all attributes when only one is changed
  • EPS and PDF import now generate documents with better structure when a large number of children nodes are imported
  • Draw 'thin' lines in a visually nicer way
  • Fix for crash when creating a Compound from a constrained object
  • Fix for releasing compounds causing objects to move around if the contained objects had constraints
  • Fix for solid fills not applying to pixel layers
  • Pasted text should work correctly with text styles now
  • Temporarily removed 32bit document format and functionality as this has not received enough testing coverage to release
  • Fix for constrained objects in symbols acting strangely
  • Miscellaneous other small fixes

so photo will get a 1.4.4 update to read your files and designer moves on?

or do we get an photo RC1 as well  :o there are some things still missing in there

just to note that down, you´re currently pulling nearly one year of work into release  :D that deserves a congrats 

Congrats too and thanks a lot for your great work so far. I'm very happy that I've found your software 6 month ago and I am using it daily.

@MattP:

The former Betas gave a hint, that there is a new Beta available.

Beta 1.5.15 does not let you know that there is a new one (RC1). On purpose?

Cheers,

Stefan.

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

• Staff

so photo will get a 1.4.4 update to read your files and designer moves on?

or do we get an photo RC1 as well   :o there are some things still missing in there

The plan is that Affinity Photo will be kept 'in sync' with a simultaneous Photo 1.4.4 that can read Affinity Designer 1.5 files. Then when Affinity Photo 1.5 is ready to release there will probably be an equivalent simultaneous Designer 1.5.1 release to keep everything in sync again regarding supported features and files.

@MattP:

The former Betas gave a hint, that there is a new Beta available.

Beta 1.5.15 does not let you know that there is a new one (RC1). On purpose?

Bear with us, we are tweaking one or two things behind the scenes... When it's ready it will prompt.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Cheers Matt!

The "nozzle persistence" issue is still there.

nozzlePersistence.png

As you can see from the screenshot, I have a smooth nozzle brush but if I paint the result is different.

This tool was composed of the shown nozzle and a grunge/gritty one.

I removed the second nozzle (grunge), the brush preview has changed correctly, but I keep on painting only with the removed one (not the remaining one) as you can see from the stripes left by my stroke.

If I change some parameters such as blending mode or size, brush preset is refreshed correctly, but the cursor stucks to nozzle preview (does not switch to classic arrow).

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Ok so copying/pasting between artboards is seriously broken. What I get when I try to copy something is either:

- objects gets pasted in middle of other artboard(opposed to previous betas where it stayed at the coordinates it had on the original artboard). Current behaviour is useless for UI design.

- Only some copied selected items don’t get pasted :(

check video for both issues.

Copy:Paste Bug.mov

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

- objects gets pasted in middle of other artboard(opposed to previous betas where it stayed at the coordinates it had on the original artboard). Current behaviour is useless for UI design.

Beta 15 behaved this way also, so not sure when or why this was changed, but not new to RC1

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Totally agree with you on that one, really frustrating  :(

Gonna have to do an old trick from Illustrator, create a blank non-filled, non-stroked canvas sized rectangle and carry it over along with your objects you need pasted in the other artboard. Been doing this for years in illustrator. (Not sure if even Illustrator allows for exact placements pastes with their later versions).

Hello!

Good job as always. Great congrats. But... What about this?

I would like to apply a color directly to a gray or bitmap image.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21035-apply-a-colour-to-a-gray-image

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

File Save As not functioning properly.

When trying to do a file save as and clicking on a file name in the popup dialog, Affinity does not auto fill/change the file name to the file that was click on.  Actually, Affinity locks up.

Using Affinity Designer Beta 1.5 - RC1 and macOS Sierra on a non production machine.

I have an issue with align.  Not sure if it is a known issue or not.    If i take two curves, overlap them and group.  Then select the group and another object and align horz center... the objects move and disappear to the left.  This happens on any align function with different results.

I've attached before and after screenshots and the source file.   Top "cross" object is the grouped curves.

post-29601-0-34713800-1475635990_thumb.png

post-29601-0-35281900-1475635992_thumb.png

align_issue.afdesign

I'm so glad to see it submitted to app store :)

I still notice a little bug from the previous versions (nothing so important, but still there): the carousel links on the welcome screen are not working. I would like to try Gradu UI Kit, but clicking does nothing.

In any case, thank you for your work, I'm liking Affinity Designer every day more :)

I am glad the app store version is behind the door :-)

Are there plans to make our life easier by improved new document dialog anytime soon?

1) New document dialog doesn't allow me to set up the bleed

2) when artboard is created from new document dialog, margins are ignored

This means that I have to open Document Setup dialog and set (margin and bleed) after use of New document dialog. So there is an extra step when creating document. I can live with that but it is a bit annoying and pro software should be efficient with no such extra steps needed

3) New document dialog and Document setup dialog should be the same or should have the same options at least.

Surprisingly the ALT key and copy+paste does not work in export persona.

It would be nice to press ALT and drag the mouse to create a duplicate of an existing slice.

This would make it much easier to create a number of slices with equal size.

Thanks for making the effect properties accept cm and inch.

Closed figures (i.e. rectangle) drawn with a brush appear as an open figure. Usually the brush starts in the upper right corner and also ends there. There is no overlap as in all other corners. 

It would be nice if all corners of a close figure would be painted the same.

I can convert the figure into curves and it creates a closed curve, although it is looking "open". When I open the upper right corner, the curve appears to be closed since there is now an overlap. 

Since this is not ideal for me - is there an option to configure this behavior?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.