You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm only following the Affinity development. It's quite interesting. Unfortunately, I do have a Mac. 

I was wondering if Affinity has similar capabilities to DrawPlus X6? I've attached an image that I did some time ago that shows some of the capabilities I am wondering about.

post-24-0-73437100-1405021582_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi Frank,

Affinity Designer is not supposed to be a one-for-one replacement for DrawPlus. It doesn't have feature-parity, and it's not meant to. Affinity Designer has less in some areas, more in other areas, all the tools are polished and refined, the whole experience is slick and fast, and you can paint/erase/mask/adjust with pixel tools which is not possible in DrawPlus. Affinity Designer is the start of something incredibly special and we know we've got a lot of ideas to implement along the way.

In short, 'Yes' I think I could draw your coin again in Affinity Designer, but 'No' it wouldn't be quite as fast because we don't have path text... yet.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Frank,

Affinity Designer is not supposed to be a one-for-one replacement for DrawPlus. It doesn't have feature-parity, and it's not meant to. Affinity Designer has less in some areas, more in other areas, all the tools are polished and refined, the whole experience is slick and fast, and you can paint/erase/mask/adjust with pixel tools which is not possible in DrawPlus. Affinity Designer is the start of something incredibly special and we know we've got a lot of ideas to implement along the way.

In short, 'Yes' I think I could draw your coin again in Affinity Designer, but 'No' it wouldn't be quite as fast because we don't have path text... yet.

Cheers,

Matt

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks MattP,

I wish there were some YouTube videos I could watch that would depict the "polished and refined" and the "slick and fast" aspects of the program. I don't mean to sound doubtful, but that sounds more like Apple style marketing. Before anyone takes offense...Please help me out here. What exactly does that mean?

• Staff

Hi folivio,

Maybe it's too soon to have YouTube videos?

Not all features are implemented yet and others are still being completed or improved and can change during the development. Since nothing it set it stone, having videos would probably just cause more confusion than it would help. Anyway there's no better way to discover what the app is capable off than trying it yourself, with your own projects and needs.

There's some .afdesign files being shared in the Share you work section that may help you to get started.

Also you can check a work in progress by Pokedstudio on behance that can give you a glimpse of what's possible with Affinity Designer (as well as some inspiration!)

Regarding your question about the "polished and refined" and "slick and fast" aspects of the program (and this is my personal opinion), it offers a lot of flexibility in how you can stack, nest, clip and mask layers/objects in any level of the layer hierarchy while still applying filters and adjustments non destructively to any of these objects keeping everything editable.

Its integration between vectors and pixels (you can mix both as you wish - you can even apply two or more masks to one layer no matter if they are pixel or vector based), innovative view modes (have you tried View Mode -> Split View), powerful snap system (able to snap up to half-pixels or combine different snapping options to fit your needs)... really there's plenty of stuff to choose from.

The best advice i can give you is try it yourself and you will find answers to all those questions.

If you need help with something just post here. I´m sure someone will step in and the Affinity team is quite responsive too.

Hope this helps  ;)

Meb,

Thank you for the links. That is some incredible work! I think I'm getting a better idea of just how cool Affinity is going to be. Since I don't have a Mac, my hope is that some of this makes it's way over to DrawPlus. Of course, I've always believed that creative types can make awesome stuff with crayons.

Thanks again...

• Staff

Oh, i assumed you had a Mac to try it out  :(

It's true, no matter what app one gets, creativity and passion is what makes the diference.

Anyway you should be able to get Drawplus X7 very soon (it's the only one missing in the X7 series) and hopefully there will be something new and fresh to get excited about  :)

Although there are some very knowledgeable users in this forum, I do think a really good tutorial for Affinity is needed. The more easier it is made for people to learn Affinity, the more they will be happy. Certainly will equal more sales.

I was wondering if Affinity will be available just through this web site or through the Apple App Store?

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• Staff

Affinity products will be available to buy through the App Store, and also available to try from our site directly :)

Gregg, we're planning on some really inspiring tutorials in the future - but these need writing, so they need the features to all be in place and working first! Unfortunately for beta-testers, it's a bit cart-before-the-horse in that respect! ;)

There's some .afdesign files being shared in the Share you work section that may help you to get started.

Also you can check a work in progress by Pokedstudio on behance that can give you a glimpse of what's possible with Affinity Designer (as well as some inspiration!)

Regarding your question about the "polished and refined" and "slick and fast" aspects of the program (and this is my personal opinion), it offers a lot of flexibility in how you can stack, nest, clip and mask layers/objects in any level of the layer hierarchy while still applying filters and adjustments non destructively to any of these objects keeping everything editable.

Its integration between vectors and pixels (you can mix both as you wish - you can even apply two or more masks to one layer no matter if they are pixel or vector based), innovative view modes (have you tried View Mode -> Split View), powerful snap system (able to snap up to half-pixels or combine different snapping options to fit your needs)... really there's plenty of stuff to choose from.

The best advice i can give you is try it yourself and you will find answers to all those questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great work by Pokedstudio!

Sounds like there are some very useful features... All I need now is a Mac, and I can tell you I'm really tempted :)

• Staff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great work by Pokedstudio!

Sounds like there are some very useful features... All I need now is a Mac, and I can tell you I'm really tempted :)

Come on, Neil! It'd be great to see some of your work in Designer!  :)

• 2 months later...

Great work folivio. Really great image.

I have seen the comparison on Adobe's and Affinity's website being pretty much identical elsewhere on the forum. Was it the same person who did both pages?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/783-adobe-vs-affinity/?p=2713

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Adobe starts imitating? hahaha....

It's true that "legend" about that Photoshop's core was written years ago but something happened and nobody can write on it? only making it up? :D it could explain why that program it's sooooo heavy....

By the way, let's be a bit less stressed about tutorials, ... i think it's important to implement all the tools and solve bugs before creating them :)

Affinity products will be available to buy through the App Store, and also available to try from our site directly :)

Oh, that's new news . . . until now I was under the impression that you are working AppStore exclusive.

Is there any difference between the two versions?

When and if an iPad version is released, is it possible to share the work via iCloud Drive when purchased at your direct store (I believe accessing iCloud Drive is possible for non-AppStore software with Yosemite, correct me if I'm wrong)?