You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm still an amateur utilising AD and I have no idea if it's possible to design such thing, as you a bracket.

The only thing I got to perform that brack was shaping through Pen Tool. Maybe, it's ridiculous but I have no idea any other way.

I even tried to use the rectangle tool, however I'm not sure if it is possible to cut one those lines.

Any tip, please? 

post-34654-0-82286000-1475272890_thumb.png

I even tried to use the rectangle tool, however I'm not sure if it is possible to cut one those lines.

Any tip, please? 

If you select the rectangle and 'Convert to Curves', you can choose the Node Tool and break the curve in two places to go from this

post-8358-0-80703600-1475274585_thumb.png

to this

post-8358-0-70080400-1475274606_thumb.png

You can then simply delete the detached line.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I know you said you tried using the Pen tool, but did you try using it in "Polygon Mode"? In that mode, with "Snap" enabled (in the Context toolbar) you can easily draw rectilinear (right angle) paths. If you also turn on Snapping (in the main toolbar) after making a ] shaped path, you can start a new one that snaps to the midpoint of the last one's vertical segment.

You can also use guides or grids to keep everything nicely rectilinear if you enable snapping to them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I know you said you tried using the Pen tool, but did you try using it in "Polygon Mode"? In that mode, with "Snap" enabled (in the Context toolbar) you can easily draw rectilinear (right angle) paths. If you also turn on Snapping (in the main toolbar) after making a ] shaped path, you can start a new one that snaps to the midpoint of the last one's vertical segment.

You can also use guides or grids to keep everything nicely rectilinear if you enable snapping to them.

Polygon Mode? I don't get how it would be possible. Would you mind creating an example, please?

Node Tool?

Please see the attached screenshot.

post-8358-0-51194000-1475278798_thumb.png

Polygon Mode? I don't get how it would be possible. Would you mind creating an example, please?

While R C-R is otherwise occupied....

post-8358-0-48666900-1475279480_thumb.png

The above setting, together with a guideline, enables you to do this:

post-8358-0-19776400-1475279513_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

After selecting the Node Tool, click on the top left node of the rectangle and then click on the 'Break Curve' icon on the Action toolbar. Now click on the bottom left node and click on 'Break Curve' again. Click away from the rectangle to deselect it, click on the detached line to select it again, and then either move the line or delete it.

post-8358-0-96493000-1475280210_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

Hi,

try this for size.

I've saved a rough version with history, so using the key command+z option repeatedly you should see the deconstruction and work out how I did it.

Rough bracket.afdesign

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Just in case Alfred example for the polygon mode is still unclear, here is a very rough example of the method, also with the history included so you can step back & forth to see how it works.

bracket partial.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7