You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layered TIFF issue

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so firstly I would like to express my gratitude towards the hard work you've put in this great software, it's quite a relief to be able to move away from the giants.

I would use AP for postproduction work for renderings, and up to this point I saved out my renders as layered TIFFs (I cannot change that, since my main working software would not eat any other  layered file types, nor .psd, nor .afphoto). In 1.4.3 I wasn't able to open my previous TIFFs, because they were flattened (although PS saw the layers perfectly). In 1.5 beta 5 I finally can see the layers, but every pciture looks like this:

post-36217-0-40409600-1475224679_thumb.png

This is the PS version:

post-36217-0-54001300-1475224763_thumb.png

Is there a way to fix this, or is this a known issue, that awaits fixing?

Regards,

Balazs

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

Hi MEB,

Thank you for help and fast response!

I am exporting the TIFFs from Cinema 4D R17, which are 16bit linear color space renders.

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

• 2 weeks later...

Further inspection on the topic: 

- single layered 32 bit TIFF opens as empty (transparent) image (saved from C4D as well)

As a workaround, this works for any TIFF I've tested so far:

- saving images as PSD

- opening in Affinity Photo

- exporting as TIFF with layers

- deleting the original PSD and working with the saved TIFF instead

In the long run I would appreciate if this issue could be solved.

Edit: the original thread was started by 1.5 beta 5, this last post was written while using 1.5 beta 6

Edit2: Photoshop opens this TIFF as a flattened image, it only works for Affinity-only workflows sadly

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

• Staff

I've just got the file from DropBox.  It looks the same in both Affinity and Photoshop - the noisy mess with just a single layer.  Are you sure you've uploaded the right file??

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Ah - I see what's happened.  You've resaved the TIFF file with Affinity layers, but they are already corrupted.

I am going to need the original TIFF file, before it was loaded into Affinity.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi Ben, 

I'm pretty sure I've uploaded the same file that is screenshot in the first post, but that one has layers in it - it is the original TIFF I've created with Photoshop..

I've uploaded another one, it has 2 layers, an image and a Material ID pass - the file is originated from Cinema 4D.

Photoshop opens the TIFF without a problem, Affinity messes it up.

Resaving the PSD as TIFF with Affinity layers:

The above mentioned method is far from perfect though, my colleagues cannot open the TIFF with Afifnity layers in Photoshop, they only see a flattened image - so basically this workaround is useless for teamwork for now. : (

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

• Staff

Yes - unfortunately we are not supporting writing TIFF files with PSD layers, as we have opted for our own format which provides reliable workflow for people staying within Affinity.

The round-trip import/export of PSD format data (embedded in a TIFF, or as a PSD file) can change document structure and other values, so we are reluctant to support this with TIFF for DAM interchange.  The same would be true for Photoshop not preserving Affinity layer data in a TIFF.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Right, I get your reasons - for my personal work, I have no problem using an Affinity-only workflow, but the people I'm working with still use Photoshop. I guess I have to convince them to move as well.:)

To shed some light on, why I had started this thread: our main software for work is ArchiCAD, which doesn't support PSDs for the time being, a workaround was using TIFFs for layered documents - renders, textures, etc.

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

• Staff

I'm curious - Adobe's layered TIFF actually uses PSD layer data, so it seems odd that an application would support layered TIFF but not PSD.....?  Does ArchiCAD import the TIFF as layered or flattened?

Anyway - seems we have an issue with importing 32-bit PSD layer data, so I'm looking into that.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I have no idea, maybe you should contact Graphisoft about the issue. 

But there is the import window:

post-36217-0-29101300-1476882041_thumb.jpg

The TIFF is from Affinity (with Affinity layers enabled), I can place it without an issue:

post-36217-0-08814900-1476882076_thumb.jpg

The file in Affinity Photo:

post-36217-0-21230000-1476882283_thumb.png

After modification:

post-36217-0-86839300-1476882191_thumb.png

The updated drawing within ArchiCAD:

post-36217-0-73929900-1476882313_thumb.jpg

But this workflow doesn't work with both Affinity and Photoshop in the game - see the messed up TIFFs in each application.

If Graphisoft could support PSD import, that would be a solution - better, support for Affinity files! : )

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

• Staff

Ah - I see what's happened.  You've resaved the TIFF file with Affinity layers, but they are already corrupted.

I am going to need the original TIFF file, before it was loaded into Affinity.

Thank you for your file.

The one you've uploaded appears to be 16-bit.  Were you expecting it to be 32-bit?

I have identified a problem with 16-bit Little Endian (PC) ordered layered TIFF files (unusual since most files generated by Photoshop would be Big Endian).  This will be fixed in the next Beta.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 months later...

Hello!

Our Office (Germany) just started with Affinity, changing from Photoshop CS3. Like many others we didn´t like the new marketing methods of Adobe and hope to have found an alternative professional App with Affinity. So thanks a lot for your work!

Since we have a huge stock of layered PSD and TIFF files, we are also dealing with the incompatibility of these with Affinity.

A lot of our files have to be reused, reopened and reformated time after time. Also we are working with external graphic offices and print companies that will surely not change to Affinity. (I guess that will be the same issue and problem with many companies world wide)

Lately I tried to keep an PSD-Export (with Layers) as a Backup besides the .afphoto-format.

I thought if I export it with Affinity to PSD and reopen it later again also in Affinity, it should be able to read its own export file.

But the Layers with a path are corrupt after reopening.

Procedure:

- Opening old path-layers from Photoshop CS3 to Affinity-Photo (no visible corruption)

- Exporting unchanged path-layers to PSD format and AFPHOTO.

- Reopening Affinity-PSD-Export with Affinity. (corrupted path-layers)

- Reopening Affinity-AFPHOTO-File with Affinity. (no visible corruption)

Is this also an issue that cannot be solved. Or are you working on the enhancement of the compatibility in general?

Which (Layer)-Format can I use to pass it on to other professional editors or printers who use Photoshop?

Thanks for the help!

Hi again.

I found my problem.

I just found the check box for the PSD-Export-Presets.

When I choose the second menu point (Bearbeitungsmöglichkeiten erhalten), what basically means (remain editability),

the path-layer looks ok:

But the reimport into Photoshop flattens my text-layers, which brings me to my previous question:

Which Layer-Format can I use for the communication with Photoshop users?

Thanks!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.