You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Save file specifics - I need to delete!

Hi, my question is going to be very elementary, but I suppose that can happen when one is a beginner - and I'm certainly that. I'm trying various things in Affinity Designer & when I go to close the program & I get the prompt to save or not save, even if I click don't save, the project is there for me to open the next time I open the program. I don't want to save everything I'm using to experiment/learn the program with - can someone please shed some light on this? Thank you.

• Staff

Hi ChrisOmfH,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you select don't save, the file will not be saved but it will still reopen next time you run the program. That's one feature of the program in case you want to continue working with the files from the previous session. You can turn this off going to Affinity Preferences, General section and unchecking Reopen document on startup.

• Staff

Hi ChrisOmfH,

I was editing my previous reply while you added this new post. Please check it out.

Regarding you last question. If you want to get rid of a file you have saved previously simply select it in Finder (or File Explorer if you are using Windows) and delete it as you would do for any other file: drag it to the Trash/Recycle Bin. There's no way to delete files within the Affinity app itself.

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

Unlike the OP, this is one feature I would like.

That's one of the great things about Xara. You can work on a documemt (or many documents) and close Xara. And upon re-opening, all the files are still there. And Xara makes 10 backups of any file you're working on.

Cheers, Miguel.

• Staff

Hi Rik,

This is working correctly but must also be enabled at the OS level as MattP pointed out. I forgot about this completely.

Go to Mac OS X System PreferencesGeneral tab and uncheck Close windows when quitting an app (near the bottom).

It should now work as expected.

Thanks Matt.

Well, Miguel.

I've done all that, and Affinity Designer still doesn't open a document I was working on.

Here's what I've tried.

I start AD

I open a new or a recent document.

Make some changes to it.

Close AD.

AD asks if I want to save the changed.

I select 'Don't save'

When I start AD again, no document that was open, opens up again.

So, have I misunderstood something?

• Staff

Well, Miguel.

I've done all that, and Affinity Designer still doesn't open a document I was working on.

Here's what I've tried.

I start AD

I open a new or a recent document.

Make some changes to it.

Close AD.

AD asks if I want to save the changed.

I select 'Don't save'

When I start AD again, no document that was open, opens up again.

So, have I misunderstood something?

Pretty much what Miguel have already said, the conditions to get it to work is as follows:

Apple Menu > System Preferences... > General > Close windows when quitting an app (unchecked)

Affinity Menu > Preferences > Reopen document on Startup (checked)

If that doesn't work for you, I suspect it could be the way you are closing the application. You must make sure that you are closing the application in its entirety, and not the document. This has to be done via Cmd+Q, or Affinity Menu > Quit. This tells the application you want to quit the application, with all documents opened. If you press the red cross button (in the top left of the window), or use Cmd+W, this will close the document which tells the application not to open it again.

If you are doing all the steps above, then the best way to diagnose your issue is via a Quicktime Screen recording which can show us the 2 checkbox settings, and the actions you are doing which you can upload here, or send to us at support(at)seriflabs(dot)com. Hopefully this will show us exactly what might be going wrong.

Thanks,

Ad