You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I buy and Add new Fonts to Designer?

You don't need to install fonts into affinity. If you install them onto your system, they'll be available in affinity. Buy the font you want, and you should get a .ttf file. Double click on this file and you'll be given the option to install onto the system. Do this, and then you should have the font.  Test it out some of these free fonts: http://www.1001freefonts.com

• Staff

Hi cmarshall,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer/Photo don't include any fonts. You can use whatever fonts you have installed on your computer with Affinity apps. You can get them free from sites like Font Squirrel, Google Fonts, or Fontfabric (not all are free here), or buy them (commercial fonts) from sites like MyFonts, FontShop, Linotype etc.

To install them you can use Font Book app that comes with your Mac (instructions here) or use a third-party font manager like FontExplorer or Extensis Suitcase Fusion.

As MEB said, once you install a new font, it will be installed in all programs automatically. Are you using Windows or Mac? For Windows, here is a fairly short video on how to do it. Link Also, you do not always have to buy fonts depending on their location. It looks like Linotipe is free here for example.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

As MEB said, once you install a new font, it will be installed in all programs automatically. Are you using Windows or Mac? For Windows, here is a fairly short video on how to do it. Link Also, you do not always have to buy fonts depending on their location. It looks like Linotipe is free here for example.

As MEB indicated, Linotype is a font vendor. Palatino Linotype is a commercial typeface.

Please be careful with 'free' font sites. Apart from the questionable legality of obtaining fonts from these sites, there is always a danger of picking up malware along with your free download.

..and what about bullet or any other glyph ??

It isn't as easy as it should be to insert bullets or other special characters in Affinity Designer, but you can copy them (from Character Map on Windows, or the Character Viewer on a Mac) and then paste them at the text cursor.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Please be careful with 'free' font sites. Apart from the questionable legality of obtaining fonts from these sites, there is always a danger of picking up malware along with your free download.

That's a good point. That's actually something I should be more careful of.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On my U.S. English Mac keyboard the bullet character • (Unicode U+2022) is entered by typing option-8. Typing option-q produces œ (Unicode U+0153), the lower case oe ligature.

Typing option-shift-8 produces ° (Unicode U+00B0), the degree sign. The bullet & degree symbols are similar to the asterisk, on U.S. keyboards the shifted symbol printed on the 8 key, making this easy to remember. On other language keyboards the keyboard mapping may be somewhat different.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

As MEB indicated, Linotype is a font vendor. Palatino Linotype is a commercial typeface.

It isn't as easy as it should be to insert bullets or other special characters in Affinity Designer, but you can copy them (from Character Map on Windows, or the Character Viewer on a Mac) and then paste them at the text cursor.

"malware"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3256378?tstart=0

I´ve not seen any font related maleware exploit in the past three years, especially not on recent OS X / macOS versions

Edited by MBd

I´ve not seen any font related maleware exploit in the past three years, especially not on recent OS X / macOS versions

I did not realize this stuff was gender-specific ....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7