You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export problem

Hi GerhardL

The parts being rasterised in the PDF are the elements that have a gradient applied. PDF should be able to handle gradients, so I am not sure why we are choosing to rasterise these and shall get it logged.

The SVG issue seems to be more with the import in AI, the SVG appears as expected in browsers and other apps

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Do you have File > Export > PDF > More > Allow Advanced Features checked? Vector gradients are considered an advanced feature because when importing, Illustrator will warn about them and then rasterise them anyway, and Corel Draw can't read them at all. If you use "PDF (for print)" you should get vector gradients and if you use "PDF (for export)" you should get raster.

Do you have File > Export > PDF > More > Allow Advanced Features checked? Vector gradients are considered an advanced feature because when importing, Illustrator will warn about them and then rasterise them anyway, and Corel Draw can't read them at all. If you use "PDF (for print)" you should get vector gradients and if you use "PDF (for export)" you should get raster.

Dave, I don't know if the Mac beta exports the above file when using intermediate color stops in gradients or not--so take this for what it's worth...

The above file will not be vector (in the Windows beta at least) as long as there are intermediate color stops, even if using Export, Allow Advanced Features (checked) and PDF (for Print). 

As far as I can discern, it is the intermediate color stops preventing (at least the Windows beta) from exporting gradients as vector no matter the profile. (PDF/X-4 also exports as vector unless there are intermediate color stops in a gradient.)

All that said,there is a new Windows beta (.19) and so is being downloaded now.

Hi Dave,

the does not make sense. When I draw objects into vectors, I will that they are exported as vectors, otherwise I use a pixel-export format.

So, if I export a vector drawing as a PDF, then I expect that I can scale this PDF arbitrarily.

:-) Greetings
Gerhard

The above file will not be vector (in the Windows beta at least) as long as there are intermediate color stops, even if using Export, Allow Advanced Features (checked) and PDF (for Print).

Ah; I'd been looking at our internal bug report, not the file attached here. Yes, that file does use gradients with multiple stops and that's not something we can export as vector currently. It's a limitation of the library we use for export - PDFLib. We will improve it one day.

the does not make sense. When I draw objects into vectors, I will that they are exported as vectors, otherwise I use a pixel-export format.

I'm sorry, but there will always be things that are vector in Designer but can't be exported as vector to PDF. Either because PDF doesn't support them, or as in this case because of limitations of our program. PDF has a huge and complex specification. It will take time to take advantage of it all.

I understand that, but you must know that the export of vectors enormously important for

• all printed materials (print quality)
  • Data exchange with printers
  • all universal size independent representations (icons up posters)

If you share it with a PDF to a print shop, then vectors must be maintained. Most print shops (online) work with customize PDFs.

This is exactly what is given to a program like AffinityDesigner od. Illustrator one, everything else would be to do with AP or PS. We have never experienced that an export of AI has rasterized the vectors in PDF. Sorry, but this is the level at which your will measured. :-)))

Your since such a great group, You ll 'unravel :-))))

Gerhard

This is a Result from Google Translate GRMPF.... ;-))

Ah; I'd been looking at our internal bug report, not the file attached here. Yes, that file does use gradients with multiple stops and that's not something we can export as vector currently. It's a limitation of the library we use for export - PDFLib. We will improve it one day.

Hi Dave,

I see that PP uses the same library revision of PDFLib, though the 32-bit variety. Is the limitation you mention part of the 64-bit library? Or is PDFLib simply needing to be fully integrated in this respect? Thanks for indulging me.

Mike 

Gerhard,

I respectively disagree as regards bitmap--as long as the drawing which will include bitmap effect is of sufficient size and/or resolution. At the RIP everything is turned into a bitmap. Not everything drawn in a given application can be represented in a PDF without bitmapping, breaking certain types of gradients into component pieces (like conical gradients, etc.) or converting them into bitmaps. And the list goes on.

What shouldn't be bitmapped are those aspects that can be represented in a PDF without undo conversion into a bitmap--like your drawing above. It sounds to me from Dave's reply it will corrected in the future. In the meantime, increase the drawing to a size (and or resolution) that there will not be output issues in the meantime.

Mike

Hi Dave,

I see that PP uses the same library revision of PDFLib, though the 32-bit variety. Is the limitation you mention part of the 64-bit library? Or is PDFLib simply needing to be fully integrated in this respect? Thanks for indulging me.

Mike 

PagePlus has the same limitation for native PDF gradients. It also has the ability to turn gradients into thin strips and clip the strips, in which case they aren't really gradients any more as far as PDF is concerned.

• 1 month later...

Gerhardl said: The pdf export from the Affinity Designer is not printable, because the edges fray

The differences become clear at a maximum magnification (image)post-8984-0-87954900-1477918858_thumb.jpeg

Since only a small trick helps: You must save the document in SD as an eps on the desktop. When you click on the eps on the desktop, it is opened in the preview and is automatically a pdf document with an excellent quality and printabel. Above is the vector graphics exported from AD as pdf, below the eps exported document after conversion to the pdf in the Apple preview

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.