You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Holding CTRL+click on an object duplicates it

Holding CTRL+click on an object without moving the mouse duplicates it.

This is uncalled for, and makes excess mess, creating stacked copies a LOT of times.

Especially in a complex project, when it takes a sec for the program to respond to my selection,

i want to just ctrl+click an object to select inside group, and bang, i duplicated it like 3 times already.

In my opinion, there are a lot of VERY basic interaction bugs that should be sorted out in Highest Priority.

The Ctrl+drag duplication, and then undoing only undos the dragging???

I mean WTF.... :D

• Staff

Hi Highvoltage,

I can't currently reproduce ctrl and click duplicating objects, it just simply selects the object if it is inside a group for me. As Matej mentions resetting the program might help you resolve it, but it won't help us fix it in the future as we haven't reproduced it in house yet.

If you choose to reset, before you do so could please zip up %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\ so we can try reproduce it here?

The ctrl drag undo bug is already logged and is unfortunate, if you view the History tab you can see why it doesn't undo the duplication, since it treats the duplicate as one undo step and the transform as another, pressing undo again will get rid of the duplicate, but it should hopefully be fixed in a future version.

Thanks

Edit: Just seen your reply, since a ctrl reset hasn't fixed it, can you let me know if you still get the issue by simply creating a 2 object document, grouping them and then ctrl clicking one object? Does it duplicate it every single time?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• Staff

Are you moving your mouse fairly quickly after ctrl clicking, or just keeping it completely still? I'm wondering if there is a bit of lag and it is treating a click, 1s~ delay, move, as a drag.

Is there any chance of creating a very quick video of the bug in action?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thing is, if the project is a little more complex, it literally takes 0ms for the object to duplicate.

I merely Ctrl+click on the object, not even holding down the mouse, and it duplicates already.

there is a bit of a loading inbetween where it calculates what i clicked, and i think it thinks i was holding down the button the whole time

I have just installed a clean beta on a different computer, and the problem is still there.

I just create a rectangle

hold CTRL

click on rectangle for ~250ms (not moving mouse)

release mouse button

you don't even have to release Ctrl, the duplicated rectangle appears in the layers

Hi Highvoltage, I've tried your document, and not had any problems with it. Do you have any applications installed which could be interfering with your mouse clicks?

https://youtu.be/iIauEf85ZHs 

Trailing (non-breaking) space alert! Try this link: https://youtu.be/iIauEf85ZHs

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Thing is, if the project is a little more complex, it literally takes 0ms for the object to duplicate.

I merely Ctrl+click on the object, not even holding down the mouse, and it duplicates already.

there is a bit of a loading inbetween where it calculates what i clicked, and i think it thinks i was holding down the button the whole time

Hello, 

We've found the probable cause of this problem. It should be fixed in next week's build. 

Thanks, 

Jon

Have you tested this in.21, a second build issued today?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

.20 and it still happening on 2 different computers. (With Both CTRL, and ALT)

Please could you clarify exactly what's still happening?

The problem we think we've fixed is the one I quoted above: that short clicks could be interpreted as long clicks when the system was under load. 

The behaviour of object duplication on long click is by design. 

Please could you clarify exactly what's still happening?

The problem we think we've fixed is the one I quoted above: that short clicks could be interpreted as long clicks when the system was under load. 

The behaviour of object duplication on long click is by design. 

Yeah i meant only the duplication thing. Which is still annoying i don't understand why is this by design, there is absolutely no reason for it and i haven't seen any program behave like this.

(Not that it would mean that it couldn't be a good feature, but it's just not IMHO.)

The duplication time is still very very short, at least it should reach into the seconds territory.

OK thanks anyway, i will test it under load later.

• Staff

AFAIK, Serif apps have always behaved like this. It's a consequence of long-clicking to start a drag. When you press the mouse button over an object, we have to decide whether that's a click or a drag. Many people move the mouse slightly while clicking, so we have to ignore small mouse movements. But this makes it hard to deliberately drag an object by 1 pixel for instance, so we assume that when the button is held down then you really do want to drag, and then we stop ignoring small mouse movements. The object is now in "drag mode", so if you're holding Ctrl you get a Ctrl-drag, duplicating the object. 

AFAIK, Serif apps have always behaved like this. It's a consequence of long-clicking to start a drag. When you press the mouse button over an object, we have to decide whether that's a click or a drag. Many people move the mouse slightly while clicking, so we have to ignore small mouse movements. But this makes it hard to deliberately drag an object by 1 pixel for instance, so we assume that when the button is held down then you really do want to drag, and then we stop ignoring small mouse movements. The object is now in "drag mode", so if you're holding Ctrl you get a Ctrl-drag, duplicating the object. 

Yes that is perfectly understandable, thanks.

This could be solved however:

Did mouse move happen after all?

No?

Don't duplicate after mouse release.

Highvoltage, I realise this won't help you but I have just tried to duplicate (no pun intended) this, following the procedure in your earlier gif file: it doesn't happen for me.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Yes that is perfectly understandable, thanks.

This could be solved however:

Did mouse move happen after all?

No?

Don't duplicate after mouse release.

Ctrl+long-click is extremely useful for anyone wanting to build up complex transparencies over an object (e.g. gradient transparency applied to white and black fills for highlighting and shading) without overwriting the contents of the clipboard, so I wouldn't like to see the program lose this functionality.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.