You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to get a color gradient from layer fx into swatches/gradients?

Hi guys,

I have created a color gradient in a layer fx (see image) - now I want to copy that gradient somehow or ideally make it a swatch/global gradient. But I don't see how.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan.

post-26509-0-69418100-1474987588_thumb.png

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

Hi MEB,

thanks a lot for your fast reply. And yes, I would like to see it in the feature request section. 

I mean, a color is very easy to copy (#HEX value) ... but gradients which a "complicated" are a pain to copy. 

Thanks,

Stefan.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

I mean, a color is very easy to copy (#HEX value) ... but gradients which a "complicated" are a pain to copy.

Having applied a "complicated" gradient to an object, can't you simply copy that object and 'Paste Style' to apply the same fill to other objects? Or add a new style to the Styles panel?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Alfred,

Not necessarily, because that will copy all the FX effects to the style/object (the gradient was created as a Gradient Overlay effect in the Layer Effects panel, not as a regular Fill). If I understood correctly Stefan wants to save the gradient as a colour swatch from that panel. Copying the FX also has the disadvantage of forcing the rasterisation of the layer the effect will be pasted on.

Stefan wants to save the gradient as a colour swatch from that panel.

Exactly.

I created a gradient in a layer fx (gradient overlay). That gradient I want to "extract / re-use as a fill in other objects which have their own (different) layer fx. So a swatch would be the solution here. 

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

It may not be as fast as just copying the gradient, but you still have all of the values there in that screenshot you provided. And so, you can transfer everything over to the color indicator on the context toolbar. Once you do that, you can save your selected color as a swatch. In the Effects panel, click on each gradient color separately, and copy the values such as position, opacity, and so on. While you are in the Gradient Overlay tab, does clicking on the Colour indicator show a code value for that color? If so, then everything is transferable. You shouldn't have to line everything back up and track down the exact color.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks bleduc.

I know I have all the provided values. I copied all #HEX values of each gradient color and tweaked the positions of the colors of the new gradient as well. It just took a while. :) And I think it was much faster to copy the #HEX value directly into the appropriate color of the new gradient fill, instead of taking an indirect way via swatches.   

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Well I'm glad your problem is solved. I hope this request can be added.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...