You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bounding box flickering/disappearing altogether (Affinity Designer)

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Affinity Designer from the Mac App Store (1.4.3) on a brand new iMac 27" with a retina display using OSX Sierra, and I'm having trouble with the bounding boxes around selected objects. Sometimes they show, sometimes they flicker on/off, and sometimes they're invisible. I'm not changing any settings such as accidentally turning them on or off, so I wondered if this was a bug with Sierra/Retina display? Anyone else having this issue? It's making it quite difficult to use the app.

Cheers

Michael

• Staff

Can I ask what other applications/services you have running? Is anything showing at the top right of your menu bar other than the standard items? We have a number of brand new 27" 5K iMacs and we can't notice anything strange happening... We really want to find the problem for you, but this has to be something specific to your machine/setup so any information you can give us will be very valuable.

Does the problem continue if you make a new user account and run Affinity in that instead?

Does the problem go away if you try the Affinity 1.5 Beta?

Please let us know how you get on :)

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Thanks Lee and Matt,

I continued to have the issue this morning, but since going for lunch and resuming this afternoon the problem has gone away. I'm not sure why. I guess there was something else interfering with some process somewhere or other. If it starts happening again I'll take a screen recording, and also look for anything in Activity Monitor to see if I can see anything in there.

Currently in the top right I have the following running (nothing unusual really):

- Adobe Creative Cloud (don't get angry, we have a client that specifies InDesign) :-(

- 1Password Manager

Then the usual:

- Bluetooth

- WiFi

- Airplay

- Sound

- Date/time

- Account name

- Search

- Siri

- Notifications

The iMac is a 27 inch, Late 2015 with a 3.2 GHz i5 processor, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB Graphics Card.

Cheers

Mikey

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I've managed to record a video of the flickering and then disappearance of the bounding box. I've upgraded to Affinity Designer 1.5 and the problem still appears. Sometimes it works fine, and then all of a sudden I'll get this bug. On the video, it starts off working ok, I can click on objects and the bounding box appears, then I zoom out, and you see the bounding box flicker briefly, and then after that nothing highlights even though I'm clicking on items and highlighting text etc.

I've uploaded a video to youtube for you to look at: https://youtu.be/X0nykaxsIDk

What I haven't managed to try yet is creating a new account on my computer, which I will do now and report back.

OK, I set up a new user account on my Mac and the problem has gone away. But this is a nightmare, because to start again with setting up a new user is going to take hours out of a work day that I just don't have. As the only app that is being affected is there anything I can do in my old user account to solve the problem? 

Hi guys, After a bit of playing around in the "view" menu, I turned off "show context toolbar" and noticed that the flickering stopped. Then I turned on the context toolbar again, and the selections appear as normal, with no flickering. This seems to have reset something, but I'm not sure what.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forums.

I can't seem to reproduce the issue with the bounding boxes, could you upload a screen recording of when it happens, it may help narrow down the cause.

Regards

L

Hi Lee, I uploaded a video here https://youtu.be/X0nykaxsIDk I also created a new user account on the mac which seemed to work at first but now that is displaying the same issue. It seems related to "Show contextl toolbar", as toggling it off/on seems to correct the issue for a while.

I'm hoping people at Affinity are monitoring this, as I'm still having issues with the software, and can't seem to figure out what's wrong. It also happens on my Mac at home so I know it's nothing to do with my computer.

The only consistent between the two devices is I use a Wacom graphics tablet to do my work, which I guess not a lot a people use, so I'm wondering if my issues have anything to do with this?

The software is rapidly becoming frustrating to use, and I'm seriously tempted to dump it. But I really don't want to because I love it. but if I can't see what I'm selecting it becomes impossible to use. I keep having to toggle "show context toolbar" which resets it temporarily. Please help.