You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[PUBLISHER] Some new suggestions

Page numbers:

1. please, allow multiple instances of page numbers on master pages;

2. allow leading zeros on page numbers;

3. free postioning and rotation of page numbers.

Reason: Page numbers can be used for numbering tickets, invoices and other documents that need serial numbers.

Creating PDF documents:

please insert an option "convert text to outlines?" because not all fonts are good for RIP and usually make problems. Without this option some interesting fonts which are not professionaly manufacured could not be used. Just imagine: InDesign, QuarkXPress and Acrobat don't have this option, so you must use plug-ins like PitStop or similar. I know that Designer have (probably Pablisher will, too) the option "Convert to Curves" but it will not be useful in Publisher with too many pages and separated text boxes. Chances to miss some text box(es) are big.

Footnotes:

please, allow multiple selection of footnotes with one command (shortcut) like in Word. InDesign doesn't allow this and it is very frustrating to select and format them one-by-one even there are more footnotes on same page.

Master page elements:

please, allow them to be editable on actual pages like in Quark. This way you can see the page numbers even if you put some color background or a picture over the whole page. This is not possible in InDesign directly. You have to use shrtcuts to accomplish this.

Paragraph rules:

Beside "rule above" and "rule bellow" it is important to have "rule left" and "rule right".

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Thank you. It is just what I need.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Let's get the Publisher out in the open this side of Christmas first, in alpha or pre beta versions, I don't really care.

Then we can have any meaningful forum-talks about the must-have features or whatever else takes our fancy.  :rolleyes:

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

If you are Mac oriented user, then it is easy for you to talk. Windows version will come far too late.  :(

That's true, but:

1. Once the Mac alpha/beta version is out of the door, the windows version is going to be that much closer too.

2. Any features/suggestions requested by users like you, that will make it into the mac version, will also make their way in the windows version later on too.

Anyway you look at it it's a win win situation for mac and windows users (although I can appreciate your frustration regarding the time lapse between the mac and window versions). :o  

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Windows beta version is expected in the second half of the next year and it will be introduced after Photo final version. So, there is lot of time to wait.

BTW. I am asking for some specific, not so obvious, options that are going to enrich Publisher because some of them can't be found in other DTP apps and they will make our lives easier.

• 4 months later...

I absolutely second all these requests for full footnote/endnote capabilities in Affinity Publisher! In academic/scholarly writing and publishing, footnotes/endnotes are essential. Even more, the ability to fully edit the style of the footnotes/endnotes is a must.

For example:

Whereas in typical word processors the default for the note number in the footnote/endnote section is just the superscripted number that is immediately followed by the note text. . .

1Thermopolis Brownless, The Book with a Title (Town, NY: Publisher, 2016), 16.

The SBL Handbook of Style requires the note number to be regular script followed by a period, with an en space between that and the note text.

1. Genevieve Gracely, The Other Book with a Different Title (Town, NY: Publisher, 2017), 17.

Even more, in SBL style, there is supposed to be a line space between each footnote entry.

1. Thermopolis Brownless, The Book with a Title (Town, NY: Publisher, 2016), 16.

2. Genevieve Gracely, The Other Book with a Different Title (Town, NY: Publisher, 2017), 17.

3. Brownless, The Book, 18.

This is nightmare, regardless of the word processor or DTP program you use. Each word processor has its own quirks and will let you change some things, but never all of them. The only exception to this was Corel WordPerfect, thanks to their "Reveal Code" feature. But since that program does not support Unicode, and I need the ability to use non-Latin languages (i.e., Greek and Hebrew) in my research and writing, I gave up with the free trial version. Thankfully I caught that before purchasing and saved myself all that money.

And as far as DTP programs concerned, they either lack a footnote/endnote feature altogether, or it's a royal pain to use them comfortably and well.

This could be an area in which Affinity Publisher soared, and could potentially make it the contender for academic/scholarly publishers, as well as academic journals (not every journal is focused on maths, and so they do not all use LaTeX, which is a pain to learn and use effectively anyway).

• 3 years later...