You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guideline - removal

Hope I've not asked this question, before?!

You can drag a useful guideline onto the page, from the rulers.

But, when you want to remove a guideline, it seems that the only way, is to take that line and take it off the page.

This is quite annoying, as you may be zoomed in on a drawing, and the distance to 'off the page' could be considerable.

Is there an easier way to remove a guideline?

post-809-0-94407300-1474929488_thumb.png

Not really. At least in the beta one can drag and release over the appropriate ruler like in XDP. But unlike XDP, the view will begin scrolling, so ya better let go quickly.

What I do when I am not wanting to use the Guides Manager is to use the ctrl + ; (semi-colon) to just hide them. I hate the view scrolling, even if a little, while working zoomed in. At some point I'll use the Guides Manager and delete the ones I think I want to. Which usually works as expected.

I tried to look through the keyboard shortcuts. Which was painfully slow switching categories so I gave up. Dunno if there is a shortcut that is either defined or not because of that.

• Staff

Hi Rik,

There's no way to delete the guides other than dragging them to outside the canvas as you discovered or using the Guides Manager as MikeW pointed out.

As far as I know, dragging them to the ruler as in Xara does not remove them. They are still there below the ruler - unless the ruler is not hovering the canvas - in that case you are simply dragging the guide to outside the canvas which does remove it. Currently there's also no shortcut for this, but there improvements planned for guides including the ability to lock them which is also not possible at the moment.

Personally, I think the most annoying thing about this is how, as MikeW mentioned, dragging a guide onto the ruler to delete it causes the view to start scrolling, & to scroll quickly once that begins. Worse, the scrolling effect seems to start slightly before the guide reaches the ruler, so it is impossible to avoid at least a little scrolling, even if you have lightning quick reflexes.

What I think might be the simplest, easiest way to solve this is to add a Delete Guide item to the contextual menu that would appear only if you right-click with the pointer over a guide & it has changed to the bar & double-headed arrow icon indicating that is the focus of the pointer.

Anybody else think this is a good way to eliminate this issue?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

In Affinity, dragging a guide back to the rulers does not delete it. Only dragging it off the canvas deletes the guide.

There's improvements coming to address some guides issues/limitations. This is something that's still being worked on and should be improved as we move forward.

What I mean is dragging a guide into the ruler area is the only way I know to drag it off the canvas if the rulers are showing. Is there some other way to do this that avoids dragging it into the ruler area to drag it off the canvas?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

It doesn't have to do with the rulers area (no matter if they are being displayed or not). You can drag the guide to the bottom or to the right where there's no "rulers area" and the canvas will scroll the same way and you will be able to delete them. Currently there's no other way to do it other than using the Guides Manager.

As far as I can see, in Xara, moving the guideline back to the ruler does remove it.

Having removed the guideline back to the ruler, and then removing the ruler from view, does not show the guideline there any more.

So, it's not hiding below the ruler.

So, that would be what Affinity Designer needs to do, is to be able for the user to move the guideline back to the ruler (and not move the document as it currently does) in order to remove it.

It doesn't have to do with the rulers area (no matter if they are being displayed or not). You can drag the guide to the bottom or to the right where there's no "rulers area" and the canvas will scroll the same way and you will be able to delete them. Currently there's no other way to do it other than using the Guides Manager.

Yes, I know that. The problem is that the canvas scrolls. Rik explained why that is a problem in the first post.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

R C-R,

Sometimes you may need to simply move/adjust the position of an existing guide to the left (outside the visible area) rather than creating a new one and so the scrolling can be helpful otherwise you aren't able to adjust the guide position on canvas in these circunstances. The ability to select guides to be able to delete them (or lock them), or pressing a modifier while we drag the guide to the ruler to delete it (locking the scrolling) would solve it without affecting the ability to adjust guide's position. As I said some of these details are already being looked into and should be addressed as we move forward.

• 1 month later...