You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity Designer have an auto save feature?

I'm hoping but I don't see it if there is. Does Affinity Designer have an auto save feature? If it not, I committed the Cardinal Sin of not saving my work earlier. After an hour of work I wanted to take a break & when "saving" AF Windows Beta crashed. Bummer! :wacko:

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 Windows  · Affinity Photo 2.0.0 Windows  ·  Windows 11 Pro 64-bit   ·  AMD Ryzen 9-3900X 12-Core 3.80Ghz  ·  16Gb RAM   ·  Asus DUAL-RTX2070-O8G-EVO-V2 

Yes, by default it saves every 5 minutes, but you can change that in Preferences. Did you get a crash reference when you re-started the application?

No reference. Reopened to previous project, not the unsaved work.

I just started from scratch again but in the future does AF only save to named projects or would AF reopen to the unsaved project?

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 Windows  · Affinity Photo 2.0.0 Windows  ·  Windows 11 Pro 64-bit   ·  AMD Ryzen 9-3900X 12-Core 3.80Ghz  ·  16Gb RAM   ·  Asus DUAL-RTX2070-O8G-EVO-V2 

The autosave works with unsaved files as well as saved filed. It should prompt you to restore the autosave if the application crashed. If it didn't, this is a bug that needs looking at (assuming you worked for more than 5 minutes in the previous file).

Thanks Mark. Everything happen quickly. I worked on my project for at least an hour before I opened "Save As", typed a title in, then entered to save. AF seemed to hesitate much longer than I ever recall so I tried to close the "Save As" window to try again but the entire program crashed. When I reopened AF my previous project opened, not the unsaved project. There were no "error" windows or warnings. This was my first work with AF Beta v18.

Perhaps I should see if this crash repeated before calling it a bug. 

You should definitely have had an autosave file that you could have reverted back to. That sounds like a bug. Just out of interest, can you check your autosave interval for me? Go to Edit | Preferences | Performance, and look at the "File Recovery Interval".

"File Recovery Interval" default set 300 seconds (5 minutes) as you have said. Searching my PC for an untitled .afdesign file.

Mark, this must be a user error.

Found no untitled .afdesign file. Seems like some sort of untitled .afdesign file would be present. Found nothing on my backup drive as well. Sorry.

Have a look in your %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\autosave folder. The files that I found in mine seem to have timestamp names like '20160927192642.autosave'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks! I see I had four in there without ever knowing about them.

You're welcome, Adam. I also had four when I first looked earlier, but I now have five!

Alfred spacer.png

I've just closed AD, declining to save the *.autosave file and another modified file that I had open, and only the most recent (0 KB) autosave has been removed: the other four (including one from four days ago and another from more than two weeks ago) are still there.

Alfred spacer.png

I've just closed AD, declining to save the *.autosave file and another modified file that I had open, and only the most recent (0 KB) autosave has been removed: the other four (including one from four days ago and another from more than two weeks ago) are still there.

I was only opening them one at a time, always opening the most recent one left. So that’s consistent with your experience.  :)

Have a look in your %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\autosave folder. The files that I found in mine seem to have timestamp names like '20160927192642.autosave'.

Hi Alfred, I found a few autosaves but they were from yesterdays (09/27) work, not the day before when I had issues (09/26). Do these only last 24 hours or some sort of time limit?

Hi Alfred, I found a few autosaves but they were from yesterdays (09/27) work, not the day before when I had issues (09/26). Do these only last 24 hours or some sort of time limit?

As I said in my reply to Mark last night, I found one from a few days ago and another from more than two weeks ago. I don't know what determines whether they're either removed or not even created in the first place.

Alfred spacer.png

Well, the theory sort of works in practice! My most recent ones are gone now, but I still have two left from mid-August.

Alfred spacer.png

I'm happy to leave those two files there, if it won't mess up anything else. :)

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 3:29 PM, Alfred said:

What is this path on Mac OSX10.11.6? Thanks

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

2 hours ago, uncle808us said:

What is this path on Mac OSX10.11.6? Thanks

Try the folder mentioned here:

Alfred spacer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.