You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error Message with TIFF Files

• Staff

Try a PNG, like the error message suggests.

An uncompressed TIFF is madness... seems like they've just been too lazy to fully implement TIFF loading. PNG should be compressed.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

An uncompressed TIFF is madness... seems like they've just been too lazy to fully implement TIFF loading. ...

I am going to disagree with you here for a number of reasons. 

1. Uncompressed tiffs save faster

2. Uncompress tiffs read and load much faster. This is of importance for people who deal with lots of frames (astrostack does, so it makes sense, focus stacking which deals with lots of frames, CG and video can some times also need fast uncompressed image formats). When you are going through many thousands of images for what ever purpose, you can literally save hours in decompression time. 

3. Uncompressed 16bit tiffs ARE SMALLER than 16bit LZW compressed tiffs(like what affinity photo produces).  8bit LZW compressed tiffs tend to be much smaller than their 8bit uncompressed friends though.

Attached, file info of the same image from in uncompressed form, then file info for the same image opened then saved as a TIFF in affinity photo. This isnt unique to affinity of course, LZW just shouldnt be used for 16bit files.

While compatibility is always nice, I can sort of understand why astrophotography software wouldnt bother supporting doing something that doesnt really make sense to do in the first place. As far as I know, people that do astro photography can some times take a few hundred frames for noise and exposure purposes.

post-35970-0-32010400-1474910086_thumb.png

post-35970-0-97578000-1474910092_thumb.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.