You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.5.0.18 - Snapping issues

A couple of related observations, i.e. I'm not sure if these are bugs or intentional. They seem undesirable to me, however.

1 - General snapping

Snapping, Force Pixel Align and Move by Whole Pixels are ON.

• I start drawing a rectangle and the constraints work as intended.
  • I then keep keep dragging until the rectangle snaps to an object that has previously been drawn with Force Pixel Align set to OFF (and is non-aligned). The new rectangle dimension now is dragging with a fractional pixel value, e.g. 200,8px and keeps the ",8" part while dragging. This is probably as intended.
  • I now release the mouse button and the rectangle is created with the ",8" dimension, e.g. "Width= 133,8px". If I now modify the Width by dragging, it keeps the ",8" part. This is possibly NOT as intended, as I'd expect the Force Pixel Align to override the fractional pixel part.
  • If I turn "Move by Whole Pixels" OFF, it suddenly starts resizing to whole pixels, which seems counter intuitive to me, i.e. probably a bug.

2 - Exporting selection to bitmap

Sometimes exporting an object, say a simple rectangle, to a bitmap adds 1 pixel to the size of the exported image. E.g. a 30 x 30px rectangle exports as a 31x31px image.

It believe this to be related to the object's X and/or Y position not being snapped to a whole pixel position, because removing the fractional part of the position will usually fix the problem.

However, I recently had a rectangle drawn at position X=200, Y=100,4 with dimensions 50x50px.

This exported as 51x51pixels

I then set the Y position to 100,0 and the bitmap now exported as 51x50px.

That is, aligning the Y position to a whole pixel fixed the Height of the exported image, but the Width was not fixed The X position was apparently already aligned to a whole pixel.

I can't tell if the issue was due to a bug, OR to the fact that the X position might be something like 200,01 internally, but was rounded off and displayed as 200. If the latter, this is not desirable behavior to me, as I can only relate to what the program tells me, i.e. that the position is 200.

I can confirm issue #1.   I think if forced to pixels is ON, it should override the snapping to fractional pixels. Cause a lot of times it snaps to mid points, or text bounds, or pictures, and those can easily fall on fractional pixels. In a bigger project this causes nigthmares with snapping, cause i constanly have to use the Transform panel.

• Staff

Hi adreamer,

These are actually 'By Design'.

• I now release the mouse button and the rectangle is created with the ",8" dimension, e.g. "Width= 133,8px". If I now modify the Width by dragging, it keeps the ",8" part. This is possibly NOT as intended, as I'd expect the Force Pixel Align to override the fractional pixel part

It is actually the other way around -  the Move By Whole Pixels is overruling the Force Pixel Alignment. At this point you still have 'Move By Whole Pixels' enabled it will always size the object by multiples of 1 pixel. So even though your shape is a fractional size you are still resizing it by 1 whole pixel.

• If I turn "Move by Whole Pixels" OFF, it suddenly starts resizing to whole pixels, which seems counter intuitive to me, i.e. probably a bug.

As you've now turned 'Move by Whole Pixels' off it will now 'Force the Pixel Alignment' so as your object was 133.8 it will force the alignment to the pixel grid.

If the latter, this is not desirable behavior to me, as I can only relate to what the program tells me, i.e. that the position is 200.

This is as you've guessed it. The UI will round the values up for display. There is an option in Preferences to increase the amount of decimal places to give you a more accurate readout of the value given to the object.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.