You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with the gradient Layer

Hello,

I got a small problem. Also have I never used any kind of image editing software before. That's why I might need a while to understand.

If I don't express myself well enough please tell me. I'll try again.

I added a gradient layer in photo persona. Like the on in the picture down below. When I was kind of done I clicked somewhere else. Afterwards I thought about changing it up again. Just a little bit.

But I couldn't get in there again. Everytime it added a completely new gradient layer. But actually I just wanted to change the colors a little bit.

Can anyone of you tell me a way to change the gradient pixel layer after I was done editing?

post-37186-0-50626100-1474818828_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Xways,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

A pixel layer is a generic raster based container layer where you perform changes at a pixel level (where you usually do image edits). You can draw a gradient there but it's not editable anymore after you leave the Gradient Tool. A Fill layer is just for filling large areas and will keep the fill always editable. If you need to convert the Fill layer to a Pixel layer for further editing, right click on it in the Layers panel and select Rasterise.... The Fill layer will be converted to a Pixel layer (and the fill will not be editable anymore).

• 2 years later...

Sorry to jump on this thread.  When I open a jpg pixel image and add a Fill Layer the color/fill layer is added above the jpeg image. However, when I click on the Gradient Tool with Fill Layer selected, when I click to add gradient nothing happens, with the exception the original layer is now selected and in the context menu, the gradient color has a red danglier slash in the box.  

Thanks formany suggestions

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection