You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to show 'Open Recent' documents at bottom of 'File' menu

I know it has become the 'industry standard' to have recent files in a sub-menu called 'Open Recent', but I've never been a fan.

In older design apps, the recent documents list was always at the base of the 'File' menu, avoiding a second step to access them.

Take Paint Shop Pro 7 for instance (which I still use daily) - this has the 'old' method and there is also a preference that allows you to choose how many files are shown.

The File menu only uses a third of my screen height so I'd love the option to use that wasted space.

• 4 years later...

I never got a reply to this 5 years back so I'm going to bump it!

Can we please have a simple option to show recent items on the main 'File' menu, at the bottom? Just a tick box and 'number of recent items to show' (like PSP screenshot).

It REALLY bugs me having to have 2 steps for this when there is a ton of space on most screen sizes for this.

Recent Items.png

Recent PSP.png

1 hour ago, Checkmate said:

I never got a reply to this 5 years back so I'm going to bump it!

In case you haven't noticed, Serif staff generally do not comment in this part of the forums. They read the posts here, and use them for planning.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1