You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello
I'd like to buy Affinity Photo. At the moment my computer system (OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard) will not support Affinity Photo. My wife, however has an iMac that does, but this will not, eventually, be the main computer I will want to use for Affinity Photo. I will be getting a new computer when Apple announce what I want, hopefully later this year. In the meantime can I buy and download Affinity Photo onto my old computer (presumably as a DMG file) and put a copy on my wife's iMac now, and a copy on my new computer when I get it? Can I or my wife still use the copy on her computer once of got my new computer and use it on that?
Thank you!

Hi WildCottage,

in your case, there seem to be a technical and a legal issue. First off, any app you purchase through the app store will be assigned to your Apple ID “forever” (or as long as you keep this ID). So there is basically no reason, why you couldn’t purchase Affinity Photo right now and download it later to your new compute, provided you can install it on a computer under your control (see below). Just make sure to assign this new device to the Apple ID you used to make your software purchase. Secondly, what regards the legal issues, some of the answers on this forum might be useful for you, for instance:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19625-am-i-allowed-to-use-affinity-on-two-computers/

Basically, you are allowed to install and use apps that are purchased from the Mac App Store on every computer that you own or that is under your control: “You can use Apps on any device that you own or control.” Quoted from the official iTunes Terms and Conditions, Section “App Store Content”:

http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

I don't think you will be able to purchase AP from your Mac running Snow Leopard. It isn't quite the same situation but I just tried downloading it from the Purchased section of the Mac App Store ("MAS") on my old MacBook running OS X 10.6.8 after signing in with my Apple ID I used to buy it. Clicking the "Install" button for AP (there is no separate "Buy" button) immediately popped up a message telling me they could not complete my "purchase" because it requires 10.7 or later.

However, assuming neither you nor your wife intend to use AP for commercial purposes, you could set up Family Sharing (with either you or your wife as the "family organizer") & sign into MAS with either your or her Apple ID on her iMac purchase, download, & install AP on her Mac. Once that is done, either of you can install it on any Mac you own or control that meets the OS X/macOS installation & hardware requirements.

If you or your wife do plan on using it for commercial purchases, you will need to buy a copy for each of you to meet the licensing requirements, or buy just one copy & use it only on one Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R and A_B_C for your replies. It occured to me after writing the question that you can only purchase through the MAS, rather than the older method of from the maker's own website. OK so with the appropriate Apple ID this should be possible for me. Again - many thanks for the clear explanation!

• 9 months later...