You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transferring Preferences from Trial to Purchased version

I ran the Affinity Designer trial for a day or two, set it all up the way I like it -- window layout, preferences, panes, tools etc. -- then purchased the software.

I now have two versions of the software, Trial and regular. The settings from the Trial version did not migrate to the purchased version.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to "export" all the UI and preference settings from the Trial to the purchased version so I don't have to go through setting it all up to my liking again?

2. How do I "uninstall" the Trial version so that it removes all the now-superfluous Library entries and other files that are no longer required?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I wasn't able to find an answer in my searches of the various help files and forums.

Mac 10.11.6

• Staff

Hi V5V,

Unfortunately it isn't possible to export your UI preferences from the trial to the full version. If you drag the trial to the Trash from your Applications it should be fully removed :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, morbandit said:

This is pretty shocking. Why not just share the same .plist file?

Because then betas would not be independent of the stable retail version & bugs in the betas could be introduced into the retail one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So make the betas use a beta .plist file? Sounds like a cop out.

We're talking about the trial (your one and only opportunity to convert paying customers) which should be directly upgradable within the app - but if that's not possible then at the very least the new version should use or import the preferences.

It's an absolutely terrible user experience to put on your paying customers, making them potentially lose all their assets and having to reconfigure the entire application including hotkeys and preferences.

In fact your own "please upgrade" email states you can "pick up where you left off". Not good at all tbh

2017-11-22_22h09_21.png

2 minutes ago, morbandit said:

So make the betas use a beta .plist file? Sounds like a cop out.

It isn't just a single .plist file. It is a collection of around 60 files & folders stored (on recent Mac OS versions) in the per user Library/Containers folder. Some of these folders contain aliases to other apps that are created on installation to comply with the Mac OS sandboxing requirements; others contain caches, app state data, etc. that are specific to the app & are not usable by any other version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7