You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 15)

Hi Malcolm - I'm desperately trying to reproduce a similar problem, but I'm not seeing this on any symbol or nested symbol scenario I can create? Turning off Syncing and modifying an attribute like colour always just detaches the colour for that particular instance, but all other attributes are still left connected... If you go to the Layers panel and hover your mouse over the description of the object in question then it should tell you which attributes are not connected. In my case, it just says 'Unlinked Attributes: Fill' and that's it.

If it's a particular file and you're happy to throw it my way then I'll look at it straight away :)

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Matt yes it's a tricky one, just tried to record it and it didn't happen... several attempts later... seems possibly related to editing directly after copying a symbol. Anyway video and example file attached!

Symbols_breaking.afdesign

SymbolsExample.mov

• Staff

Hey Matt yes it's a tricky one, just tried to record it and it didn't happen... several attempts later... seems possibly related to editing directly after copying a symbol. Anyway video and example file attached!

Thank you, Malcolm - that's definitely acting strangely, I'll try to get this sorted asap :)

• Staff

Only suggested change to the "Show selected layer in layers panel" is when first selecting a group not having it auto-expand in the layers panel until you actually drill down to a child layer. Anyone else second this?

It's already changed for the next beta version  ;)

What does that mean? …  :unsure:

(I see that something “went wrong” here, but I have no idea how that happened. Anyway, I sent the crash report to Apple, and I hope you will get it as well. Hmm … I should have copied it … sigh …)

post-1198-0-25597700-1475308018_thumb.png

Just got a crash by entering an incorrect character in the scale input (in the Export Persona):

Exception Name: NSRangeException
Description: -[__NSCFConstantString characterAtIndex:]: Range or index out of bounds
User Info: (null)

0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffc0b767bb __exceptionPreprocess + 171
1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fffd52e3a2a objc_exception_throw + 48
2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffc0bf3a65 +[NSException raise:format:] + 197
3   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffc0aef686 -[__NSCFString characterAtIndex:] + 102
4   libcocoaui                          0x000000010f7690f8 -[ExportableItemsTableView keyDown:] + 56
5   AppKit                              0x00007fffbe9024ac forwardMethod + 133
6   AppKit                              0x00007fffbe9024ac forwardMethod + 133
7   AppKit                              0x00007fffbe9024ac forwardMethod + 133
8   AppKit                              0x00007fffbe9024ac forwardMethod + 133
9   AppKit                              0x00007fffbe9024ac forwardMethod + 133
10  AppKit                              0x00007fffbe9024ac forwardMethod + 133
11  AppKit                              0x00007fffbeaa0659 -[NSControl keyDown:] + 138
12  AppKit                              0x00007fffbeff37ec -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 4086
13  AppKit                              0x00007fffbeff242a -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) sendEvent:] + 541
14  libcocoaui                          0x000000010f6d0ac2 -[PersonaWindow sendEvent:] + 1586
15  AppKit                              0x00007fffbee93a1c -[NSApplication(NSEvent) sendEvent:] + 4768
16  libcocoaui                          0x000000010f6ecc59 -[Application sendEvent:] + 793
17  AppKit                              0x00007fffbe779009 -[NSApplication run] + 1002
18  AppKit                              0x00007fffbe743a8a NSApplicationMain + 1237
19  Affinity Designer Beta              0x000000010d9b52c4 Affinity Designer Beta + 8900

FullCrashLog.txt

What does that mean? …  :unsure:

(I see that something “went wrong” here, but I have no idea how that happened. Anyway, I sent the crash report to Apple, and I hope you will get it as well. Hmm … I should have copied it … sigh …)

You can find all your crashes stored in Applications/Utilities/Console.

Right click and Reveal In Finder to grab the file  :)

(Thanks AndyS... )

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Color rendering issues

Getting some strange behaviour when playing with color mixers, file attached.

The background gradient from COLOR 1 to COLOR 2 has the same colors as the rectangles in the middle (color 1 left), colro 2 right), but looks different (colors should look the same as they have same numeric values) :-/ Adjusting color of gradient in background is behaving strange.

post-1445-0-03265200-1475487167_thumb.png

Exporting to PDF is broken as well (regarding to colors).

post-1445-0-03265200-1475487167_thumb.png

colorbugs.afdesign

• Staff

Hi lexislav,

I'm getting different colour values for the gradient colour stops and the rectangles so they should look different. Seems you haven't applied the first two colours of the document palette to the rectangles.  Am i missing something?

Gradient 

top.         98, 89, 7, 89

bottom    97, 88, 7, 86

Rectangles

left         98, 94, 47, 76

right       97, 91, 49, 81

Hi lexislav,

I'm getting different colour values for the gradient colour stops and the rectangles so they should look different. Seems you haven't applied the first two colours of the document palette to the rectangles.  Am i missing something?

Gradient 

top.         98, 89, 7, 89

bottom    97, 88, 7, 86

Rectangles

left         98, 94, 47, 76

right       97, 91, 49, 81

After restart affinity, I am getting the same result as You. Before restart, there was no difference in the colors (numeric values were identical). I will do screenshots next time :-)

• Staff

How so? A preview is exactly that, a preview. 

That's exactly what I was wondering....

We don't store a flattened version of the document in Affinity files, for a couple of reasons (unlike what other wasteful file formats might do).  We have a max sized raster preview that we use for the quick look previews.  This is rendered at a maximum resolution (currently a max edge of 512 pixels) to limit time taken during saving to generate the preview images and he file size overhead of the additional data.

For vector files particularly, it would be a very bad idea to try to store a full resolution raster image as the size and DPI could lead to massive raster images.  So, we'd have to put some cap on it regardless.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

With retina displays 512 px for a preview can be small sometimes; maybe 1024 px would alleviate the issue, although a user defined Pref setting would be great too

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

With retina displays 512 px for a preview can be small sometimes; maybe 1024 px would alleviate the issue, although a user defined Pref setting would be great too

True.  We set the size way back, just before Retina really took off.  Arguably, it becomes less of an issue as everything gets faster and bigger.  So, we can look at this again when someone has time.

An option would be a good way forward as we don't want to hobble slower/older machines.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi Tekikou,

Can you please attach the file here or upload it using this link so we can take a look at what's going on?

All files will be deleted after being checked.

Thanks.

Done, on the uploaded file, the y positions are fine, revalidate the x of every path of the compound object  :)

• Staff

Thanks for the file Tekikou. I'm having trouble replicating the issue in your video. The elements are being rendered in the correct positions. Revalidating the X field doesn't change anything in the drawing as it's happening in your clip (i'm using v1.5 RC1 here). Does it happen after you restart the app (or after doing a reset)?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.