You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Things I want to be able to do in Affinity Designer

misc33

I've just completed a large project ready for printing; my first serious project using Affinity Designer exclusively. What a joy to use! I'm really happy on the whole with my shift away from AI.

While working, I made a series of notes as I came across things I couldn't do, or which behaved in a manner I didn't expect, and which I would love to see as features in future versions:

1. Hover pen tool over anchor point (which becomes visible while I'm hovering) at end of unjoined line without first selecting the path, and click to activate it and continue drawing.

2. Join two open paths by clicking on each in turn with the pen tool, rather than having to select two paths and choose the Join command.

3. Eye dropper - copy styles to selected object or text, as well as colours and gradients.

4. Insert in front/behind/inside: keyboard shortcuts please

5. Stroke presets to click on; also tiny up / down arrows to change stroke by preset increments.

6. Keyboard shortcut to change the point size up/down by single rather than double increments.

7. Use the direct selection tool to select nodes that define a segment of a path, and copy just that segment. When I try this with the node tool, the whole shape is selected rather than just the part I wanted. I'd rather not have to drag a marquee around the part I'm trying to select; just choosing a couple of anchor points should do the trick in my opinion.

8. Have a padlock as part of each layer to simplify locking and unlocking layers. I’m aware I can select the padlock at the top of the layers panel, and that I can CTRL click to bring up a menu to lock - but as I’m doing this so often, one more movement of the mouse or an extra click really does feel cumbersome and not fluid at all. 

Thank you for considering these suggestions! 

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au