You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to copy an element of an image?

I want to drag a frame around part of an image press ⌘C and ⌘V and have that section copied. Is there a video explaining how this is done in Affinity Photo?

I can use the Selection Brush Tool or the Freehand Selection Tool but both seem clumsy if I really just want a square box selected. Is there an option that just draws a square which I can then adjust and simply copy that content?

• Staff

Hi DrainBead,

If you hold left click on the Freehand Selection Tool a flyout menu will appear. You should see an option for Rectangular Marquee Tool, this tool will draw a rectangle selection for you :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You can also use CMD+D to deselect a selection.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Great, this is helpful information.

I understand this is the most basic usability questions one could think of. But for new users it is exactly the gap that needs to be bridged to be able to use the currently existing tutorials.

I wish there were a few more noob entry level tutorials for the most basic operations. Not everybody is switching from photoshop or a pro user that has been working with photo editing software the past 15 years (:

Maybe you can consider this and create a few basic knowledge tutorials like how to work with layers, copy / paste etc

Maybe you can consider this and create a few basic knowledge tutorials like how to work with layers, copy / paste etc

Take a look at this video about working with layers:

Copying and pasting are basic features with which everyone should be familiar from learning to use their computer's operating system, whether it's OS X, Windows or anything else.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That video is really small. I don't seem to be able to find any way to open it directly on vimeo. Could you elaborate or post the link?

Found another "basic" video and seems I am not alone with my problem, that even the basic videos make a ton of assumptions that users already have certain knowledge:

Since the embedded videos have no link to vimeo, please visit this link and look at the comments: https://vimeoDOT com/130980508

That aside I just discovered the beginners video series on vimeo, so will take a look at that. And thanks for making those.

If you are using Safari on a Mac, you can right-click on the video & choose "Open frame in new window" to see it full sized.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It does not seem to work that way with the software that powers this site.

Affinity Photo