You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Craft by invision app

• 1 month later...

@frankstallone it is clearly not listed, @MattP just told us about it on this thread.

PS. Another perfect Sketch plugin that would help us a lot is Paddy, like its name suggest it allows to set-up padding to an element and allows it to resize depending on the elements it contains. Sweet !

Edited by fdelaneau
Partially duplicate post, sorry

• 5 months later...
On 9/22/2016 at 2:37 PM, MattP said:

We do have prototyping already working behind-the-scenes in the current Designer, but it is disabled while we work through and flesh it out. Hopefully 1.6 will enable this functionality :)

Is it still planned? I’m moving to other software because of this lack but I’ll be happy to back using Affinity Designer for my UI projects.

• 5 months later...

Guys I think we can assume 2.5 years later that affinity are not seriously pursuing the features that have been suggested :(
Just use sketch instead, that's what I did. I do still like affinity but I'd say that the only thing I really miss in sketch is affinity's export feature.

Sketch has prototyping
Better component organisation.
color & text styles linking - I see there is now good text style support and simple global color linking capability 
Plugins that generate style guides from your whole document
Many other handy plugins
Data importing - "fake data", images, API calls, names, addresses etc
Plugins that help you to easily get the css or html of a component.
export to many programs such as Zeplin, framr, Adobe aftereffects etc

Affinity should really get on top of the atomic designer / design system / component methodology. 2 whole industries will love you for it (designers / frontend developers) :)

12 minutes ago, 7immer said:

Guys I think we can assume 2.5 years later that affinity are not seriously pursuing the features that have been suggested :(
Just use sketch instead, that's what I did. I do still like affinity but I'd say that the only thing I really miss in sketch is affinity's export feature.

Sketch has prototyping
Better component organisation.
color & text styles linking - I see there is now good text style support and simple global color linking capability 
Plugins that generate style guides from your whole document
Many other handy plugins
Data importing - "fake data", images, API calls, names, addresses etc
Plugins that help you to easily get the css or html of a component.
export to many programs such as Zeplin, framr, Adobe aftereffects etc

Affinity should really get on top of the atomic designer / design system / component methodology. 2 whole industries will love you for it (designers / frontend developers) :)

Affinity Designer wasnt meant as a webdesign solution. It should replace Illustrator, so it implies a software for creating vector graphics, not a competitor to Sketch/AdobeXD/Figma. I usually use Figma/XD for layout/content/prototyping and AD for creating illustrations etc..

46 minutes ago, tomasnosek said:

Affinity Designer wasnt meant as a webdesign solution. It should replace Illustrator, so it implies a software for creating vector graphics, not a competitor to Sketch/AdobeXD/Figma. I usually use Figma/XD for layout/content/prototyping and AD for creating illustrations etc..

More I think about it. 

Maybe the best could be more another tool instead of putting too much features into one tool. That's what I like most about Affinity it is more intuitive and lighter than Adobe tools. Less submenus to find features. What you need is more upfront. I really like the persona aspect of the Affinity tools.

I am more and more interested in digital 2D art and design. And I think what could be nice is a tool that incorporate some kind of "light versions" of After Effects (only for motion design and playing with 3D camera with 2D assets, for parallax effects for instance) not the whole thing, of Spine for Skeletal, FreeForm and adding a frame by frame features for animation and finally something like Anima a plug-in for Sketch or InVisionStudio for the prototyping features.

Imagine that an Affinity tool had like 3-4 personas; the first is for animation and motion (like I said a merge maybe of light versions of After Effects and Spine), another persona for Prototyping and maybe another one a light version of Resolve or Final Cut just to make some kind of editing for 2D arts/animations.

Could be nice, it could complete a nice 2D pipeline. More and more GIFS and prototypes are uses for UX design and to transmit informations to colleagues and customers. Could be nice to make our own not Disney heavyweight movies, but just have our own little studio or even being able to export those interactions and animations in game engine like Unity or Unreal or GameMaker etc.

I am only putting this in the suggestions box.

10 minutes ago, G.M.1986 said:

More I think about it. 

Maybe the best could be more another tool instead of putting too much features into one tool. That's what I like most about Affinity it is more intuitive and lighter than Adobe tools. Less submenus to find features. What you need is more upfront. I really like the persona aspect of the Affinity tools.

I am more and more interested in digital 2D art and design. And I think what could be nice is a tool that incorporate some kind of "light versions" of After Effects (only for motion design and playing with 3D camera with 2D assets, for parallax effects for instance) not the whole thing, of Spine for Skeletal, FreeForm and adding a frame by frame features for animation and finally something like Anima a plug-in for Sketch or InVisionStudio for the prototyping features.

Imagine that an Affinity tool had like 3-4 personas; the first is for animation and motion (like I said a merge maybe of light versions of After Effects and Spine), another persona for Prototyping and maybe another one a light version of Resolve or Final Cut just to make some kind of editing for 2D arts/animations.

Could be nice, it could complete a nice 2D pipeline. More and more GIFS and prototypes are uses for UX design and to transmit informations to colleagues and customers. Could be nice to make our own not Disney heavyweight movies, but just have our own little studio or even being able to export those interactions and animations in game engine like Unity or Unreal or GameMaker etc.

I am only putting this in the suggestions box.

I guess its too feature heave weight to add into an AD. If they gonna do that (i highly doubt about it), they will create standalone app for it.

1 hour ago, tomasnosek said:

Affinity Designer wasnt meant as a webdesign solution. It should replace Illustrator, so it implies a software for creating vector graphics, not a competitor to Sketch/AdobeXD/Figma. I usually use Figma/XD for layout/content/prototyping and AD for creating illustrations etc.

I disagree. I think affinity designer will fit well as an alternative to so many kinds of apps including prototyping tools, mostly due to their user experience. Its just been always missing some fundamental features of each to completely replace them. I think they know that too since they mentioned they’re working on it. Although, AFTER 2.5 YEARS OF PATIENCE an update on if they are still working on something like that would be nice. 

Just now, tomasnosek said:

I guess its too feature heave weight to add into an AD. If they gonna do that (i highly doubt about it), they will create standalone app for it.

Thats what I said hehehe. Maybe my english is not that good. I said to "make another tool instead of putting them inside of AD".

2 minutes ago, Aaron Martin said:

I disagree. I think affinity designer will fit well as an alternative to so many kinds of apps including prototyping tools, mostly due to their user experience. Its just been always missing some fundamental features of each to completely replace them. I think they know that too since they mentioned they’re working on it. Although, AFTER 2.5 YEARS OF PATIENCE an update on if they are still working on something like that would be nice. 

My personal bet is they will try to get closer to Ai as much as possible instead of focusing on webdesign features. There is simply less high quality competitors in vector graphics than in webdesign/prototype branch. Design/Prototype is too much competitive field to play right now (XD, Sketch, Figma, Framer, Invision Studio, Axure, UXpin, Justinmind, Supernova Studio, ProtoPie and many others).

7 minutes ago, G.M.1986 said:

Thats what I said hehehe. Maybe my english is not that good. I said to "make another tool instead of putting them inside of AD".

Sry, i went through that very quickly. I ve thought you suggest add this features into Personas. Probably mb. :) Btw, my english is terrible so... :)

10 minutes ago, tomasnosek said:

My personal bet is they will try to get closer to Ai as much as possible instead of focusing on webdesign features. There is simply less high quality competitors in vector graphics than in webdesign/prototype branch. Design/Prototype is too much competitive field to play right now (XD, Sketch, Figma, Framer, Invision Studio, Axure, UXpin, Justinmind, Supernova Studio, ProtoPie and many others).

This is exactly why they have the advantage. No one in this field has done it completely well imo. Unlike illustrator where its bloated with features 

4 minutes ago, tomasnosek said:

Sry, i went through that very quickly. I ve thought you suggest add this features into Personas. Probably mb. :) Btw, my english is terrible so... :)

No problem, like I said it is only a suggestion.

But I think you are right about how they working on Affinity Designer to be more a vector art and design tool. Affinity Photo being a photo and rasterize tool. Affinity Publisher for print editing. And what could be nice is Hat knowing that they are focusing on 2D art and design. To complete the suite a standalone app like Affinity Animation (lights versions of After Effects (only motion and 3D cam for parallax) + Spine (FreeForm, Skeletal with a little frame by frame animation feature) + InVision Studio or XD for prototyping + Resolve or Final Cut for editing).

But I repeat light versions of those tools, what will enrich that app is to play with the addition of the personas.

27 minutes ago, G.M.1986 said:

No problem, like I said it is only a suggestion.

But I think you are right about how they working on Affinity Designer to be more a vector art and design tool. Affinity Photo being a photo and rasterize tool. Affinity Publisher for print editing. And what could be nice is Hat knowing that they are focusing on 2D art and design. To complete the suite a standalone app like Affinity Animation (lights versions of After Effects (only motion and 3D cam for parallax) + Spine (FreeForm, Skeletal with a little frame by frame animation feature) + InVision Studio or XD for prototyping + Resolve or Final Cut for editing).

But I repeat light versions of those tools, what will enrich that app is to play with the addition of the personas.

Hmm, i am not convinced about animations, or more precisely vfx. What i know, there is definitely a opportunity to make a animation software for using in mobile devices. There is literally no SW obtain in high-fidelity mobile animation. You have to use AE with Lottie or projects like Haiku.ai to do that. Or i dont know any other AE competitors at least. This could be a way to sell another software solution (or Persona) filling the hole in the market and expand the workflow of existing SW to another trendy way.