You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear Affinity,

I am new to Affinity Photo. I am trying to learn the Affinity equivalents since I left Photoshop. That is not always easy. I would like for flip a selection( that part of the image), not the selection borders. I can flip the whole image, but I can't figure out how to flip just the part I select. Can you help, Thanks.

EDIT The following procedure flips the whole layer …

• Create your pixel selection.
  • Select the Move Tool (shortcut V). A bounding box around your selection will appear.
  • Ctrl + click (or right click) inside the bounding box, and choose Transform > Flip Horizontal (or Vertical) from the context menu.

Thanks Fixx …  :(

Too bad those transform buttons are not on top of the Affinity Photo UI like Designer. Hmm... might the Transform panel do the trick?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 year later...

What I posted is no longer relevant and this should be deleted...

would have deleted it myself but couldn't find an option for that

Edited by eclipse
comment was no longer relevant as there are better ways

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

(Raises hand):  I know!  I know!

I discovered this one by accident, since I couldn't figure out how to flip a pasted item and couldn't find anything in Affinity Photo Help on the topic.  When I did it, I felt a sense of wonder and a childlike glee -- everything should be this simple.  To flip horizontally, grab the right side of the bounding box and DRAG IT OVER THE LEFT BOUNDARY!  The image will reverse!!!  To do it vertically, grab the bottom and drag it over the top!

--Cyranose

19 hours ago, Cyranose said:

DRAG IT OVER THE LEFT BOUNDARY! 

This would work otherwise nicely but there should be a way to reliably constrain flipping to original width and/or height. CorelDRAW does this similarly for vector objects and allows constraining but I tried all snapping settings available but could not achieve snapping to original size, or e.g. based on the underlying clipping transparency.

UPDATE: Just checked this, Corel PHOTO-PAINT does this for bitmaps, as well. 

Hi guys, so it looks like this operation can be done after all, but I think I caught a bug (unless I'm missing something.) On this page, there is a section that says, "Moving and transforming a selection only." It looks like the method that is supposed to work is by toggling a quick mask, but when using the Move Tool, it is the mask that gets moved; not the selection.

Am I reading this correctly? It says that it will move the selection.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Selections/selections_transform.html?title=Moving and transforming pixel selections

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

18 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Am I reading this correctly?

Well, I do not know using quick mask can make situation different. I do not understand what that mean.

Affinity should make transform operations apply to selection when there is selection applied to pixel layer. Making it apply only to whole layer feels a mistake.

Meanwhile, you can happily make a new layer from your selection (Cmd-J) and flip that. And merge it back if needed.

On 10/26/2019 at 5:44 AM, Fixx said:

Meanwhile, you can happily make a new layer from your selection (Cmd-J) and flip that. And merge it back if needed.

And that is possibly the best solution. I just wasn't sure if that page mentioned something we didn't know about yet.

Just make your selection, crl + j to put it on a new layer, go to the move tool (v), right click on the selection area, transform -> flip horizontal. Crl + d, then select the new layer and the old layer (hold crl to select more than one) and then crl + shift + e to merge them. This is how I used to do it in Photoshop, I never felt the need for a "flip selection" option. Maybe there was a tool to do this back when I used Photoshop, I just never looked for one.

Oh, and if you don't want the flip to go outside your original selection constraints,do crl + j twice, deselect (crl + d), flip the second duplicate layer, crl + left mouse click on the first duplicate layer's thumbnail, select the second duplicate layer, click the mask button, delete the first duplicate layer, and then merge the second duplicate layer with the original layer with crl + shift + e.

I know this sounds complicated in writing, but, at least to me, it feels pretty natural when i'm doing it in the program, and it takes me maybe 2-5 seconds to do each time. Don't memorize your steps, just understand what each of the steps do any it'll come naturally. If I had to do this constantly then maybe i'd be wanting a specific tool for this, but i've never felt the need. 

• 10 months later...
30 minutes ago, Leo Leong said:

So... we still can't just select the part we want to flip and right click > flip?

When you say "the part", what exactly is it that you want to flip? Do you mean a selection of an image, rather than the whole image, one odd word in the middle of a text box? I'm afraid I don't really understand what it is that you want to flip but can't. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Just now, PaulEC said:

When you say "the part", what exactly is it that you want to flip? Do you mean a selection of an image, rather than the whole image, one odd word in the middle of a text box? I'm afraid I don't really understand what it is that you want to flip but can't. 

I use affinity photo to draw, so sometimes in a pixel layer, full of brush strokes, then I want to select part of the drawing and flip it.

If you can select it, you should be able to flip it, but I would suspect the problem is selecting the particular brushstroke(s) if they are all on the same layer.

As explained above you do need to make a new layer in order to be able to flip it, so yes, you are right, you can't just right click > flip, you do need it to be on it's own layer. I don't think that there's any way to flip a part of a layer without affecting the whole layer.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

33 minutes ago, Leo Leong said:

then I want to select part of the drawing and flip it.

Perhaps: Select it, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V, then flip that new layer. (Use Cmd if on Mac.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 5 months later...
On 9/20/2016 at 2:02 AM, A_B_C said:

EDIT The following procedure flips the whole layer …

• Create your pixel selection.
  • Select the Move Tool (shortcut V). A bounding box around your selection will appear.
  • Ctrl + click (or right click) inside the bounding box, and choose Transform > Flip Horizontal (or Vertical) from the context menu.

Thanks Fixx …  :(

...so I have to select a specific tool to be able to simply flip, from the menu, a whole layer that was already selected.  Thanks!  I was breaking my head wondering why the option was not available when the layer was selected (not part of it, I wanted to flip the whole layer).  Luckily I found this on the forums since my question seemed too simple to ask and I was ashamed of it.

However, it would seem (for a total newbie to Affinity) that some things are made unnecessarily more complicated than they should be.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Learner-AF said:

...so I have to select a specific tool to be able to simply flip, from the menu, a whole layer that was already selected.  Thanks!  I was breaking my head wondering why the option was not available when the layer was selected (not part of it, I wanted to flip the whole layer).  Luckily I found this on the forums since my question seemed too simple to ask and I was ashamed of it.

However, it would seem (for a total newbie to Affinity) that some things are made unnecessarily more complicated than they should be.

You're quoting a response from nearly 5 years ago asking about a different topic (flipping selections, not layers).

If you have a layer selected, and you want to flip it, then:

• In Photo, use the menu Arrange > Flip <direction>
  • In Designer or Publisher, use the menu Layer > Transform > Flip <direction>

Or use the Toolbar tools for flipping, if available in your application/OS.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 1 year later...

So we're into the 6th year, I recently switched to affinityphoto and I have the very same question as the TO.

There are alot of possible solutions mentioned in the thread, each of them being the same level of complicated. I need to flip a selection, but it seems it will have to be control x, control v, flip, control e.

AffinityPhoto is an amazing tool, but lacks alot of function for convinience

10 hours ago, Arenja said:

So we're into the 6th year, I recently switched to affinityphoto and I have the very same question as the TO.

There are alot of possible solutions mentioned in the thread, each of them being the same level of complicated. I need to flip a selection, but it seems it will have to be control x, control v, flip, control e.

AffinityPhoto is an amazing tool, but lacks alot of function for convinience

While I agree that this should be doable on a basic level....

FWIW: One workaround that hasn't been mentioned is to make a macro (takes but a few seconds). Once created the whole thing is just one click.
I have two: horizontal flip and vertical flip.
(of course in Affinity gotcha land we can't assign keystrokes to call up macros, so it must be clicked in the library list)