You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Changes are not saved

Hello, 

when i open any image (e.g. an jpg-image) and perform changes as changing the image resolution, canvas size or use some filters as mask unsharpen, the changes are shown on my monitor. But if i than export the image to e.g. an jpg file, all changes are away when I open the overworked image: I than have the original unchanged image. 

What am I doing wrong? Or is this a bug of Affinity Photo? It seems, that Affinity Photo is not saving the changes of the overworked image but only the original unchanged image.

Additionally changes in the work space (e.g. changing the unit of the rulers to centimeters) are not remembered. On each new opened document as on each new startup of Affinity Photo, the rulers have maintained the original settings of pixels.

I am using version 1.4.2. with an 27" iMac Retina.

Best regards

Martin

• Staff

Hi heinzm,

Welcome to the forums.

Once you have opened your JPEG and made adjustments can you save as an .afphoto file, if you reopen this are the adjustments retained. If so could you provide a Dropbox/Google Drive link or send me a PM to it, so I can take a look.

Regards

Hi heinzm,

Welcome to the forums.

Once you have opened your JPEG and made adjustments can you save as an .afphoto file, if you reopen this are the adjustments retained. If so could you provide a Dropbox/Google Drive link or send me a PM to it, so I can take a look.

Regards

I have tried it with the following results:

• Opening an jpg-image with a size of 3150 x 2362 pixels @ 72 dpi.
  • Resize Document to 3150 x 2362 pixels @ 300 dpi.
  • Exporting this resized document as jpg-image.
  • Exporting same document as .afphoto file

Saved as .afphoto-file, the changed resolution (same pixel number but 300dpi now) was saved correctly

Exported as .jpg-file with another name, the changed resolution was not maintained. The image also has 3150 x 2362 pixels @ 72 dpi.

I than performed the unsharp mask filter. Interresting: The effect of the filter was correctly saved as .afphoto file as well as .jpg file.

It seems, that the resolution settings was not correctly exported in jpg-files.

One more strange thing: The .afphoto file of the image with performed unsharp mask has now 23 MByte, where the jpg-file with performed unsharp mask has 929 KB. Seems, that afphoto-files needs a very big amount of memory space (why?).

Best regards

Martin

P.S.: I have attached the original jpg-image, the (not)resized jpg-image and the resized afphoto-file.

Image - changed version 1 - 3150x2362px 300dpi.afphoto

post-36856-0-79267200-1474401881_thumb.jpg

post-36856-0-77446700-1474401898_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This was my problem also. I don't understand this answer re: saving as afphoto file? If I need a jpg then I need to save as a jpg and when I open the jpg it should be the same size that I saved it at right?

So why is this happening and what to do?

Thanks,

Andrea

• Staff

When exporting to JPG, click the More button and uncheck Embed Metadata, when you check the DPI of this version it should be 300. You save as an .afphoto file if you need to make any further edits to the image at a later date. 

Our native files are always going to be different file sizes, one option you may have enabled which isn't always needed is File > Save History With Document. This allows you to undo previous steps even after the document has been saved and closed.