You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 26/09/2017 at 9:07 PM, cyberhusky said:

Hello

I'm new here at the forum, but I'm happy to see Affinity Publisher coming along.

At the moment Pages on Mac is enough for my DTP usage, but the latest iOS like Pages version is missing too many features.

Before I used PageStream on my Amiga computers. Had many great features and very usefull ones not found in any Pro DTP app. I don't know if PageStream is still being developped but I would like  to see Affinity Publisher lending many ideas from Pagestream. Like moving, resizing objects of any kind by an autorecording script function. Or importing / exporting any format be it GFX or documents formats (mainly due to Amiga's Datatypes: le the OS handle any data and the apps can do it too). Another great feature was unlimited zoom, calculations inside boxes like 22 mm + 3 cm, just to resize, place or put an object to the right direction. Or making any object a textbox, any size any form or any color attributes. Or even strange forms in photographs a textbox.

Plus putting any mathc of pages DIN A4, doublesided with DIN anysize mixed anyway with different page numbering  formats. True export to pro printing services

And Pagestream was fast on an Amiga. Really fast. I made several publications for organizations and everytime the guy at the printing bureaus were impressed by the capabilities of Pagestream. They often told wow even InDesign or QuarkXpress can't do that . 

http://www.pagestream.org

Hi Cyberhusky. We already do some of that. Our zoom is already almost unlimited. You can do calculations like 22m + 3cm in every appropriate field. Any vector object can be made into a textbox - currently it will then not be drawn itself, but that will change in 1.7. We aren't planning to port to Amiga, so don't expect Amiga-specific features.

If Amiga, Atari, etc. versions are being considered, then I see no reason why this should not be too...

59cd7f55c72c8_ApubC64.jpg.2164ffa3baeb38a6f79eebb73202ce62.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Magic-design said:

... but who's counting.

The whole world it would seem :-/ 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Oh, Patrick. Not the whole world. There only are 63k+ registered users here. ...

Sure, but have you seen our Facebook feed? "When Publisher" is the most common comment on every post. (It used to be a mixture of "When Publisher" and "When iPad"). I also appreciate why everyone is interested and wouldn't have it any other way

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

It's a great problem to have, Patrick.

I have too many layout application options now. When APub is first released and maybe for some time to come I may only be able to use it for X% of work. But I'm gonna purchase a license and use it for what I can. While I have my quibbles with certain in things in AD, I wholly believe in Serif as a great company made up of great people.

Oh, gawed. I feel a group hug coming on...better go before it's too awkward...

• Staff

blogger-image-1653355610.jpg

Group-Hug.jpg

(I'm not calling you an idiot by the way)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

You don't need caveats, Patrick. I certainly deserve to be called an idiot often enough. Heck, I think I'll switch back to my Dunce avatar now...

Absolutely love the octopus 'toon. Think I'll print off a large version of it for above my monitor. 

Hey everyone, I'd like to chime in here (and yes, I'm all for group hugs!) :)

I purchased the full CS 6 master suite just months before Adobe switched to the insane subscription model, and happily used it for a couple years with mostly no problems. This was a relatively good thing, for I found out later that the Adobe customer support is beyond horrendous, it is non-existent. Then, with every upgrade to macOS, it became more and more difficult to keep it running adequately. First, it was needing an antique version of Java to run, then little other things kept popping up. I would go for months without the ability to use one the apps or another. Finally, by the time MacOS 10.11 came around, I gave up altogether and just ditched the whole thing. Thus began a multi-year search for a replacement, which kinda culminated when I discovered the Affinity family. just a couple months ago. I say "kinda" because I still have not found a suitable replacement for the InDesign app.

These Affinity apps represent the epitome of how truly well engineered applications should be made. It is readily apparent that an incredible amount of forethought, engineering, testing and refinement goes into every tiny detail. As a result, every interaction, button click, and visual feedback just feels right, natural and intuitive. I cannot remember how long it has been since I actually enjoyed using a piece of software, but it really is a pure joy to use these Affinity apps, big time! Take the pen tool for example, like most designers out there, this was always my least favorite tool to use, and consequently I almost never used it. However, in Designer, it is just the opposite, and for the first time ever, I am actually using the pen tool, and enjoying it to boot! The way it feels, interacts and provides feedback truly makes it a tool that is easy and pleasurable to use. The Affinity dev team has truly taken the Apple philosophy of design and engineering excellence to heart, and it comes through in every detail of these applications.

The reason I share this here is that I hope to convey to the development team just how painful it really is to us to not have Affinity Publisher available yet. One major problem with all of the temporary alternatives offered in this discussion thread is that after spending just a small bit of time working in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo on macOS, all of the other just feel like crap. Really, after being absolutely spoiled by the ease and joy of the Affinity suite, using any of the others feels downright disgusting. It is akin to taking off a finely crafted and tailored Italian suit and putting on a pair of scratchy worn-out jeans. Like innumerable other Affinity users, I have a very real and pressing need for Publisher. Of course, I do appreciate the need to do it right, I really do. But know also that there is a huge gap in today's software availability, one that can only be filled by the forthcoming release of Publisher. So if there is any way to allocate more resources to the Publisher dev, design and testing team, please do it, please!

6 minutes ago, cyberhusky said:

Now QurkXpress and ID have these features. But in the 90s they were way behind Pagestream

In 70s they didn't even exist. :D

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 28.9.2017 at 5:43 PM, Dave Harris said:

We aren't planning to port to Amiga, so don't expect Amiga-specific features.

I don't use Amiga computers anymore. The last Amiga Computer I owned was years ago.

So I don't need an Amiga version of Affinity Publisher. :-)

My point is using features that were great long time ago and not available anymore

I think people got what you meant. As you say, the reality is that dtp has been around with the necessary features for a very long time. I remember using a great package on my Acorn Archimedes computer while at uni!

oops. off topic.

Any news about publisher? I don't understand why all the secrecy. It would not impact the competition and only warm their relationships with existing pp customers to know how progress is coming... imo

On 9/21/2016 at 11:18 AM, Just J said:

Oh Publisher ! Where for art thou Publisher ? 

+1 :D

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

On 21/09/2016 at 4:18 PM, Just J said:

Oh Publisher ! Where for art thou Publisher ? 

+1 :D

As I tried to ask @Just J more than a year ago:

On 21/09/2016 at 7:44 PM, Alfred said:

What do you think they should have called it instead? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

On 9/29/2017 at 0:52 PM, Patrick Connor said:

blogger-image-1653355610.jpg

Are you sure that's not a clip of the new kitten fanmade "The Lion King" of when Simba and Scar are fighting?

What do you think they should have called it instead? ears.gif

Printer

Producer

Page

Press

I like the final choice since it implies publications, and that would've been my pick as well, though I can see how it might cause confusion for website publishing. 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Publisher is just fine, and

Designer for merged Photo and Designer.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 9/20/2016 at 6:47 AM, Diller said:

This one has been repeatedly pushed back. The best you can do is pretend that Affinity never mentioned Publisher. It was supposed to hit beta last year. Then it was supposed to hit this year. Now it's a matter of "wanting to get it right" which could mean that it is still years off. I renewed my Adobe subscription and to be honest I am loving the CC suite again.

Creative Suite is quite nice, no doubt, but not the 50 / month for life tether that it comes with, and the fact you had to get the entire cc suite just to get indesign, or pay for it by itself for 30 a month. What a joke Adobe turned their business model into. Not a joke for the investors though. I'm happy to wait for Affinity's entry into market. Not to mention they are probably developing a iPad app version in tandem which would probably add to the delay. 

They have raised the bar on their own software over the last two years, so it's probably increased production time on Publisher making sure it meets their quality.