You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer dragging speed

Hi. I just joined, got the beta yesterday. First issue I have is that I am used to dragging layers to where I want them and I am finding it hard to control when layer numbers increase. Dragging up or down a couple of layers is fine but when I try to drag a new pixel layer under multiple shape layers the speed goes crazy and I end up overshooting where I need to be. Any chance of slowing the layer scrolling down? Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Angie M A,

Welcome to the Affinity Forum :)

I can definitely see what you mean however we have implemented a variable scroll speed so the speed of the scroll very much depends on how close your place the mouse to the top or bottom of the Layers tab.

It takes a bit of getting used to at first however you should eventually get the knack of it. This allows users to drag layers very quickly (faster than other apps where it can be painfully slow) or you can be very precise.

Thanks! 

• Staff

Hey, I've just tried it with a Wacom tablet and it feels pretty similar. I find the mouse a tiny bit easier to use but that's because I don't use a tablet regularly. 

I tried it on the Mac version and I found that the area which triggers the scroll is a lot shorter than Windows and however I find it slightly easier to control on the Windows side.

I don't think it would be a driver issue as I assume you have the Wacom drivers installed and everything is configured correctly? 

Hey, I've just tried it with a Wacom tablet and it feels pretty similar. I find the mouse a tiny bit easier to use but that's because I don't use a tablet regularly.

I tried it on the Mac version and I found that the area which triggers the scroll is a lot shorter than Windows and however I find it slightly easier to control on the Windows side.

I don't think it would be a driver issue as I assume you have the Wacom drivers installed and everything is configured correctly?

Thanks for the quick reply again. Yes I have the latest drivers. I'm using a cintiq companion tablet with windows 10 and all the wacom drivers are up to date. Did you have a lot of layers on when you tried with the pen? My cintiq is only 13" screen so the layers menu is a small target to be fair but it definitely felt more out of control as the the number of layers went up. It doesn't make the app unusable just a bit frustrating. In Photoshop the layers menu is about the same size for me but that does not race about when I have to drag a layer a good number of steps.

Hi,

You can upload it to this dropbox link.

Perhaps we need to test this on a smaller screen as well but I'll wait until I see the clip.

I sent it Chris, it is short but hopefully will show the lack of control that I am having ordering layers this way. It is much easier when I undock and enlarge the menu but with a 13" tablet this takes up a lot of my work space. Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Angie,

Looking at the video it definitely does seem that the app is fighting with you. I suspect the issue is the screen size as the more room you have for the Layer tab the more accuracy you seem to get.

I can see if there is some sort of improvement we can log. I'll attach the video for the development team. They might be able to reproduce it better than I can as they have a few different devices to test it on. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.