You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator vs. DrawPlus vs. Designer vs. CorelDRAW

The only flaw is you cannot be sure the spacing between each petal will be equal.

That's why I thought the Power Duplicate may have not have been a good idea. As long as the center point is in the complete center, then holding shift to rotate objects in 15 degree increments would ensure an equal pattern all the way around.

Power rotate works the same way as power resize. If you use Cmd+J to create a duplicate, resize the duplicate and press Cmd+J again, the next duplicate will be resized by the same factor. If you rotate the first duplicate instead of resizing it, the next duplicate will be rotated by the same amount again, and if you both rotate and resize the first duplicate, the same transforms will be applied to subsequent duplicates.

I must've been explaining it wrong. I understand that and I know how you made that last example. It's the one before I don't get. Before pressing Cmd+J, you have to press Cmd + Drag to allow the Power Duplicate to work, but dragging for the first command will cause the object to lose it's precise radial position. Let's say you want to have the objects on a ring. Of course, you can estimate the second position after Cmd + Drag, but after many Power Duplicates (Cmd+J), the next objects will fall more and more off the ring. So the thing I'm trying to understand is how to be precise with Power Duplicate when working around a center point. Does this make better sense?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I must've been explaining it wrong. I understand that and I know how you made that last example.

From your next comment it looks as though you thought I Cmd-dragged the object freely (or actually Ctrl-dragged, since I'm on Windows) but I didn't. Please see below.

It's the one before I don't get. Before pressing Cmd+J, you have to press Cmd + Drag to allow the Power Duplicate to work

No, you don't. Just pressing Cmd+J is enough to allow the Power Duplicate to work: any transforms that you apply before pressing Cmd+J again will be applied to the subsequent duplicates. So for my previous example I selected the object, pressed Ctrl+J (because I'm on Windows, but you would press Cmd+J on your Mac) and then Shift-rotated the duplicate before duplicating it again.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That's why I thought the Power Duplicate may have not have been a good idea. As long as the center point is in the complete center, then holding shift to rotate objects in 15 degree increments would ensure an equal pattern all the way around.

I must've been explaining it wrong. I understand that and I know how you made that last example. It's the one before I don't get. Before pressing Cmd+J, you have to press Cmd + Drag to allow the Power Duplicate to work, but dragging for the first command will cause the object to lose it's precise radial position. Let's say you want to have the objects on a ring. Of course, you can estimate the second position after Cmd + Drag, but after many Power Duplicates (Cmd+J), the next objects will fall more and more off the ring. So the thing I'm trying to understand is how to be precise with Power Duplicate when working around a center point. Does this make better sense?

Hi bleduc,

For objects to be distributed without a shift around a circle, you must move the center of rotation of the first object (before making Cmd + J) to the center of the circle or, if you do not yet have a circle, position it at the place that will correspond to the point around which the objects will turn.

post-37692-0-61628900-1491139586_thumb.png

post-37692-0-34615400-1491139871_thumb.png

No, you don't. Just pressing Cmd+J is enough to allow the Power Duplicate to work: any transforms that you apply before pressing Cmd+J again will be applied to the subsequent duplicates. So for my previous example I selected the object, pressed Ctrl+J (because I'm on Windows, but you would press Cmd+J on your Mac) and then Shift-rotated the duplicate before duplicating it again.

Well I'll be damned. All this time, I didn't realize that pressing Cmd + J before hand would copy and paste an object right there and then. After moving the center point and rotating the copy, using the Power Duplicate was a success. Thank you for the help.

Hi bleduc,

For objects to be distributed without a shift around a circle, you must move the center of rotation of the first object (before making Cmd + J) to the center of the circle or, if you do not yet have a circle, position it at the place that will correspond to the point around which the objects will turn.

Thanks for the heads up.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Thank you guys for the fast respond, for now I played arround with AD and learned how to deal with it, I can say I liked (actually loved) the appearance of the software and the way you deal with the objects (draw, resize, move, align, etc) the software gives you a very smart and easy way to control shapes, I still have some features that I wish it will be embedded:

1. Tools like (contour will give unlimited number of strokes, blend will enable you to duplicate shape on a specific path, distort, envelope, extrude,knife to cut objects, smart fill, etc) of course all these tools I use them in CorelDRAW and they are very usefull.

2. The ability to read .cdr files, this will help importing files from CorelDraw including layers, and also exporting the final design to CorelDRAW.

3. RTL (Right to Left) text support.

4. Dimensions (a tool that help drawing dimensions to each shape)

5. Convert raster to vector

1. Tools like (contour will give unlimited number of strokes, blend will enable you to duplicate shape on a specific path, distort, envelope, extrude,knife to cut objects, smart fill, etc) of course all these tools I use them in CorelDRAW and they are very usefull.

Wait, what? Affinity Designer does not have anything like Contour, Blend, Distort, Envelope, Extrude, Knife, or Smart Fill?

Multiple contours, blends, distortion, and a knife tool are all on the roadmap. These features are not currently there because Affinity is still fairly new.

One is still required to set the degree. 15 degree increments may still provide for unequal spacing. I just use the 'Rotate' command, keep setting the degrees until I get the one that allows for the most equal spacing. The quick method of pressing 'R' to place a new petal is never equal. It is faster, but the spacing cannot be made to be equal. 

I am STILL attempting to determine how to replicate the creation of a flower in Affinity Designer. It in no way resembles CorelDRAW in this respect. I am working to wean myself away from Corel, and bury myself within the Affinity environment as this would make me more productive, and I could learn faster. I continue to go to my CorelDRAW, do something in there, then attempt to do the same in Designer. Doesn't work as they are too different. 

Canuck

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were still stuck. Rotating in 15 degree increments should still give equal spacing as long as you do these couple of things.

1. Have snapping enabled

2. Place the first petal accordingly so it snaps (indicated by the middle guideline)

3. Position the center point so it snap in the middle of the circle.

I made a demonstrations for you. 20170403191651.mov

Today, I found a flaw with Affinity Designer. You cannot Select, Copy and Paste .png images. I was working through an Affinity Designer tutorial, placed an .png image and attempted to select it in order to copy the image and paste it into another image within Designer. It will not work. You cannot Select the image unless you use one of the Selection Marquee tools. After you manage to select the image, you cannot copy the selection. So, I Placed the image directly into the new document. At least one may open .png images within Affinity Designer. The same cannot be said about CorelDRAW. One may Import the .png image, but one cannot Open it directly within CorelDRAW. 

I even switched to the Pixel Persona, thinking this may make a difference. No, one still cannot Select, Copy and Paste the .png image. At least I have learned this. I daresay these differences between CorelDRAW, Affinity Designer, PaintShop Pro and Affinity Photo are throwing me for a loop here. *breathes* I must learn to be patient! No, no, you need not fear me committing graphicide. 

Canuck

You should post any bugs in the Bugs section. It will get lost here.

I figured as much since the software is relatively new by comparison. I have no doubt they will be coming. Fear not, for I still have my CorelDRAW. Once Serif adds these capabilities (move it man!), I shall gladly use them all in the Affinity Designer software. 

Regarding the 15 degree increments, I was talking about CorelDRAW. Alas, you made a video for me, and allow me to tell you YOU DA MAN!! Whooee, got a little carried away there. 

I was not sure it was a Bug. I was thinking perhaps it is simply a part of the program not to have the ability to Select, Copy and Paste .png files within Affinity Designer. I believed this due to the fact CorelDRAW cannot even open .png files, it can only import them. Designer can indeed open .png files, but that is all. My apologies. I actually thought about going to the Bugs section, but I had my doubts it was a bug, something to do with the .png format. I will do so now.

Did I mention... YOU DA MAN!? Someone here rocks, and we know who it is... :rolleyes:

Canuck

Yes, there are some tools I am waiting for as well. I really, really hope a vector eraser comes to 1.6

Haha I'm glad I could help...I mean...oh yes, I know I'm the man.

Of course it can. That's what the Place Image Tool is for.

Aw why thank you. I try to be helpful.

*sigh* You had to mention that too. I just finished using Vector Eraser in my CorelDRAW. As for the Place Image tool, are you mocking me?  :D I was surprised when Designer opened the .png file. i wanted to see if I could work on the image as a separate image without Importing, er I mean Placing it. How dare you mock me? Pffft.  :D

I know Serif will be adding more Tools to their software, but I am concerned that once they do, they will ask us to pay for these new Tools via a paid update. I have the feeling that is exactly what they will do. I believe this is why the product was priced so low to begin with, in the hope of lessening the sting when they do charge us for the updates. I do hope I am wrong. 

Yes, I noticed you are very helpful. Leaves me suspicious. NO ONE is this helpful. What's in it for you?  :D

Canuck

You're probably aware of it, but you can use the Pixel Eraser on vectors, but it's more in the approach of masks (hiding and revealing), so it doesn't actually erase them. It just gives that effect.

Am I mocking you? "Maaaybe."

I've been a user here a little over a year, and I show you from various discussions that there is no catch. All updates (1.6, 1.7, 1.8 and so on) are all free up until version 2. Version 2 will be the first paid update. Then 2.1, 2.2, and so on will be free. A staff member even said very recently that there will be a 2.10 which will be different from 2.1. And everything on the Roadmap topic will come some time before version 2. I am repeating what the staff has actually said in previous discussions. Why do you think I stick around?  :)

Haha well then, I guess the best answer is Betty White's reply to Couric on her reaction of America being divided. Optimism and decency prevails. I help because I simply want to.

How very odd. Out of curiosity, I tried it again. I opened the same .png file within Affinity Designer, but I could not Select the image, which of course means I could not Copy it. This is definitely a Bug since it worked perfectly previously as I told you. Bloody hell. 

Canuck

This does sound like a bug. Perhaps you should report this.