You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator vs. DrawPlus vs. Designer vs. CorelDRAW

The problems with this kind of comparison is why Affinity was actually created.

One problem with this kind of comparison is, they are always incomplete. One can easily build such a bullet list which makes any of the compared programs appear to come out on top.

Example: Which of the programs has anything like Illustrator's Pattern Brushes? Which of the programs are able to apply multiple strokes and fills (not just effects) to a single path?

Those are two of Illustrator's claims-to-fame. Do they make Illustrator the "best" vector drawing program?

To answer that, consider this: Would you call Illustrator's user interface--while actually drawing--the best of the bunch?

So how about this feature:

Able to define a Line in terms of length and angle.

In Illustrator, get the Line Tool and simply click somewhere. A modal dialog appears with fields in which you can enter those two values. Click OK and there's your line, 5.9375 inches in length at 25.75 degrees.

But is this actually more elegant than Affinity's treatment? Think about it.

And where is ACD Canvas in this comparison? By what logic is it left out? Or Xara Designer? Or Corel Technical Designer? I could give you a long list of features in any of those which are "missing" in Affinity Designer. But guess which one I see most hope in for actually moving the lethargic vector drawing segment forward at long last?

Here's what I see in Affinity: evidence of careful forethought. Is it perfect? Nope, not even so far, and it still has a long way to go to flesh out functionality. The measure of true interface elegance is whether it can survive through the addition of a full feature set. We'll see. But at least someone is actually trying.

JET

Is there a "Gallery" feature in Designer?  And I suggest that several of teh items considered to be "NO" for DrawPlus should be yes ie:  Rounding Single Corners

Creating round corners to a single corner as oppose to all corners of a shape

• Illustrator: No
  • DrawPlus: No
  • Designer: Yes
  • CorelDRAW: Yes, but not as simple as Designer

http://snap.ashampoo.com/9P9biYuQ

Your screenshot shows a closed curve, not a QuickShape. In Affinity Designer you can create a rectangle with a Shape Tool and adjust individual corners without having to convert to curves first (so you don't lose the benefits of a Shape Tool shape).

I am happy with my DrawPlusX8 and hope that Serif will continue to support the program which I find incredibly capable for my needs.

Now that DrawPlus X8 has been relegated to 'legacy' status, the only support you'll get is via the CommunityPlus forum.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My first thought when I saw the features in DrawPlus that disappeared from Affinity Designer was that those were all from third party libraries that weren't re-licensed to Designer for business reasons. Not that:

"This is still a work in progress but sets out the path we are trying to follow. We could add AutoTrace, Flood Fill, 3D extrusion etc in a few weeks by using similar methods to DrawPlus but we just don't think it's the right thing to do."

If you do own all the code then I would suggest to dump all these features that you consider to be sub-optimal under a menu called "experimental" and improve them if and when revenues support the investment. I'd rather have the choice to use a feature versus having them culled a priori as substandard. Adobe Illustrator has the largest user base, but the installer is about a 1.8 GB download and exemplifies the code bloat that results from thousands of man-years of coding with a nearly unlimited budget. No one needs a clone of that, but nevertheless you should try to get the most mileage out of the code base that you already have. No need to go around "un-ticking" some of the features in order to claim a more linear or polished application. I don't think many people will find it believable. All software is a work in progress.

Thank you for helping him, Alfred. I completely missed his post.

Also, DLGMEX, to be clear, rounding the corners means changing sharp corners of a shape rounded. Applying round corners in DrawPlus or Illustrator creates round corners to all corners at once. Illustrator even has a round corner effect for shapes which have already been converted to curves, but it does the same thing.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

...you should try to get the most mileage out of the code base that you already have. No need to go around "un-ticking" some of the features in order to claim a more linear or polished application. I don't think many people will find it believable. All software is a work in progress.

The Plus line of code isn't a 1:1 port, it isn't resuable. Those features would need, just like the whole Affinity code base, be written from the ground up. I would like to think that if it was as easy as bringing the Plus feature code over and polishing it up, they would even if slowly. But it isn't.

Over my bazillion years of doing graphic design, I have seen many companies and their software come and go. I have always used the former software for existing work that didn't pay to port to a different application, or port it over in preparation of updating the designs when the client's work will be used for future documents. I then use the new software for all current and future work--until the cycle begins again.

While I believe Serif could create an import filter that depreciated features it doesn't support in AD, it would make no sense to do so until AD was closer to feature parity with DP.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Vector Eraser Tools

A tool that erases vector objects and obtains its quality

What exactly is this?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

If you are to erase open paths, then everything else except the erased region stays the same. Whereas with Illustrator, erasing will cause the paths to slightly change its shape.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

If you are to erase open paths, then everything else except the erased region stays the same. Whereas with Illustrator, erasing will cause the paths to slightly change its shape.

So instead of "obtains its quality" maybe you are saying "maintains its quality?" Or am I still missing the meaning?

It's a minor point, however, as I think your list is a Super Tool!

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

No, I think you understand the meaning. I'll change the term to "maintain" instead. That does make more sense.

Thank you, and I will be adding 25 more features to the list shorty.

In case anybody is interested - In this list the product "PhotoLine" is missing.

PhotoLine is a like Draw/Photo and Publisher integrated in one application. With one license you get OSX and Windows support.

Flood Fills
No, it cannot fill vectors

Artboard Tool
No

Nested Layers
Yes, it supports groups also with clipping

Pencil Path Continuation
Not that I know of

Fast Loading Effects
It has presets for the effects

Image Tracer
Yes 

Rounding Single Corners
No

Transparency Tool
Yes

Fill/Stroke Switcher
Yes

Pixel Tools and Layers
Yes

Pasting Inside
Yes 

Replicate Tool
No (copy&Paste works)

Customizable Vector Patterns
Yes

B-Splines
Yes, I think so

Smooth Gradients
Yes

Smooth Type on Path
Yes

Over 1,000,000% Zoom
"Only" 25600%

Pixel Preview
Yes

Realistic Brush Presets
It has some of the required technology but no presets.

Lots of Shape Tools
Not many

Redraw Paths
probably No

Indicators
Yes

Eyedropper on Select
Yes. Objects can also be copied as brush

Vector Eraser Tools
No

3D Extrusion
Yes

In contrast to Affinity it is possible in Photoline to skew any bitmap layer. This makes it easy to correct perspective lossless. 

Hey thank you for your feedback. I was thinking what full featured vectors programs were not added yet. There is Xara, Inkscape, CanvasX, but I forgot about Photoline. Thank you for adding the details. I was curious about it back when I explored it.

• 1 month later...

Here's an important feature to add: Object-selection mode that only selects objects fully enclosed by the marquee.

The lack of this basic functionality kills Illustrator for anyone who's used anything else. People have been asking Adobe for it for a decade or so, but Illustrator is basically abandonware at this point.

CoreDraw defaults to it, as does Designer (if I remember correctly). Inkscape also has it.

Here's an illustration of why Illustrator is so cumbersome to work with:

1800773495_d1f776e335.jpg

if you wanted to select only the circles in this image, you'd need only to draw a selection rectangle around them.

Illustrator gives you no way to do this. Every shape that comes into contact with the selection rectangle (or the path of the lasso tool) is selected.

llustrator gives you no way to do this. Every shape that comes into contact with the selection rectangle (or the path of the lasso tool) is selected.

I admit, I got use to this, because Illustrator was the first program in which I got a full understanding of what vector is. Now that I'm use to Affinity, I think the way all other vector programs work better (for me). I will add this. Thank you for your feedback.

Illustrator can round single corners...  :)

Can you please provide an example or explain how it can be done? I am aware that there is a "Round Corner" effect, but it rounds all corners of a shape at once. The feature I have listed is talking about rounding them individually. Of course, there are workarounds like in this video.

Can you please provide an example or explain how it can be done? I am aware that there is a "Round Corner" effect, but it rounds all corners of a shape at once. The feature I have listed is talking about rounding them individually. Of course, there are workarounds like in this video.

Since CC 2014 this has been available.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/reshape-with-live-corners.html

Here's an important feature to add: Object-selection mode that only selects objects fully enclosed by the marquee.

The lack of this basic functionality kills Illustrator for anyone who's used anything else. People have been asking Adobe for it for a decade or so, but Illustrator is basically abandonware at this point.

CoreDraw defaults to it, as does Designer (if I remember correctly). Inkscape also has it.

Here's an illustration of why Illustrator is so cumbersome to work with:

1800773495_d1f776e335.jpg

if you wanted to select only the circles in this image, you'd need only to draw a selection rectangle around them.

Illustrator gives you no way to do this. Every shape that comes into contact with the selection rectangle (or the path of the lasso tool) is selected.

Actually, with that example it is easy enough using the Lasso tool (Q) you mention or, use the magic wand and click on a circle...all of them will be selected. Which is a tool change, something that Illy is very fond of. But I get the point.

Thank you for the tip. I've only used CS6, but I still researched that feature to see if it was available before making this list. Sorry about that false detail. I guess I can't catch everything. Haha.

Via Stylize > Round Corners even versions before CS were able to round single corner.

Round Corner effect is a non destructive features and it is listed in Appearance panel, so further modifications are always possible.

They added the Live Corner feature and today you have two ways to do it.

Don't want to blame your idea Belduc, I only think these comparisons are something that belongs to the past, and can be confusing for both beginners and experts. 

Market is faster and too much scattered.

If you take even the early lifetime of AD, the gap of features between 1.3 and 1.4 just 5 years ago would have taken much more time and probably would have been defined as a 2.0 jump... 

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Via Stylize > Round Corners even versions before CS were able to round single corner.

Round Corner effect is a non destructive features and it is listed in Appearance panel, so further modifications are always possible.

They added the Live Corner feature and today you have two ways to do it.

Really? When I used the Effects menu or Appearance panel, the Round Corners feature always rounded all the corners at once, but I'll take your word for it since there is apparently something I missed.

Don't want to blame your idea Belduc, I only think these comparisons are something that belongs to the past, and can be confusing for both beginners and experts. 

Market is faster and too much scattered.

If you take even the early lifetime of AD, the gap of features between 1.3 and 1.4 just 5 years ago would have taken much more time and probably would have been defined as a 2.0 jump... 

Okay, thank you. I guess I just feel this topic might not be as reliable as I thought it would be. While I do see it's very helpful to many, I'm afraid these mistakes I'm making might push people away since it can't be fully trustworthy. But like you said, both beginners and experts can't catch everything.

..but I'll take your word for it since there is apparently something I missed.

Via workaround...  ;)

There are lots of techniques suitable for Ai but it is not fair to ask&reply about these here.

This forum is dedicated to Affinity, so (from my point of view) no problems to talk about cross-features, but any further explanation related to non-serif application is not very "polite"  :)

Server, maintenance and quality support offered here are very kind and free.

Other softwarehouses even ban users talking about competitors...  :ph34r:

Via workaround...  ;)

There are lots of techniques suitable for Ai but it is not fair to ask&reply about these here.

This forum is dedicated to Affinity, so (from my point of view) no problems to talk about cross-features, but any further explanation related to non-serif application is not very "polite"  :)

Server, maintenance and quality support offered here are very kind and free.

Other softwarehouses even ban users talking about competitors...  :ph34r:

If the staff had a problem with this list, I think they would've warned me. I am not talking negatively about Affinity; I am just providing a comparison so people who are interested know what to expect. If you think it's unfair, then why did you participate?

In defense of the users from other software houses, banning them for bringing up competitors does seem uncalled for and wrong. If programmers are to compete, then it needs to be known what features people desire in others. Affinity hears competitors on the forum all the time, but they're cool about it.

If you think it's unfair, then why did you participate?

I don't think the discussion is unfair, I think it could confuse new users, as I explained above.

Also, I think that any software is much more than a list of does/doesn't, since there are often many roads a user follow.

What I spotted as unfair is asking clarifications about an application that is not a Serif's one in Serif's official forum... That's all.

Take is as a simple user's opinion, peace and love!