You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Serif PhotoPlus X8 = Affinity Photo ?

1st question:
Is Serif PhotoPlus X8 the same as Affinity Photo really?

​2nd question:
If I purchase Serif PhotoPlus X8, will I get Affinity Photo for free or not?

​3rd question:
Will Affinity Photo (Windows) be cheaper than Serif PhotoPlus X8 ?

​4th question:
What do I do? Do I get Serif PhotoPlus X8 now, or do I wait for Affinity Photo for windows?

Looking forward to your reply
​Max Køngerskov

Welcome, Max. Even though I am not really staff, maybe I can help answer your questions in the meantime.

1st question:

No. Affinity is made by Serif, but I read from MEB's post a while back that the Affinity products were made from the ground up. Plus, there are some features exclusive to Affinity Photo and some to PhotoPlus.

2nd question:

Sadly no. Affinity is a separate suite of applications with a different engine and some different features.

3rd question:

I assume so. Photo and Designer are out for the Mac, and they're much cheaper than the Plus applications.

4th question:

What do I do? Do I get Serif PhotoPlus X8 now, or do I wait for Affinity Photo for windows?

It depends on the features you are looking for. It won't affect your second question. Do keep in mind that there is a free "Starter Version" for the Plus applications, and there will be a free beta for each Affinity application. You can experiment with them to decide which to choose.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

1st question:

Brian ('bleduc') has given you a pretty comprehensive answer. Affinity Photo has been available for two years but PhotoPlus has been developed over two decades, so PhP has many features that APh doesn't have yet. However, the Affinity app has features such as 'inpainting' (content-aware fill) and panorama stitching that are not available in any version of PhotoPlus.

​2nd question:

You won't get it for free, but registered users of DrawPlus X8 have been promised a discount on Affinity Designer, and registered users of PhotoPlus X8 have been promised a discount on Affinity Photo.

3rd question:

Affinity Photo on Windows should be the same price as Affinity Photo on Mac (39.99 GBP / 49.99 USD / 49.99 EUR). PhotoPlus X8 is 79.99 GBP / 99.99 USD / 94.99 EUR.

PhotoPlus X7 is currently on offer for 19.99 GBP / 29.99 USD / 24.99 EUR.

​4th question:

As Brian has said, it depends on the features you're looking for. Please see Patrick Connor's post here for a summary of some of the main differences between the two applications.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You're welcome, Max. I learned some new things from Alfred as well.

You won't get it for free, but registered users of DrawPlus X8 have been promised a discount on Affinity Designer, and registered users of PhotoPlus X8 have been promised a discount on Affinity Photo.

Right on. I did not know that.

Please see Patrick Connor's post here for a summary of some of the main differences between the two applications.

In that page, I was trying to figure out, "Did I post that at one point?" My username on the CommunityPlus Forums is also Brian, but no, that's a different one. I guess I'm losing my mind.  :blink:

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

...and to add my two cents worth: go for the free trial and SE options and decide which is best: the Plus range with a bigger tool box, filters and effects versus a lightning fast offering from Affinity. (AKA a good old fashioned bechmark test)

Then try to perform the same task, say cutting out and object from photo 1 and shoving it into photo 2. Then play around with the blending modes etc and don't forget to time the same task in PhotoPlus and APh.

This would be the perfect show down. After doing this a few times, you should arrive at one of these conclusions:

• Buy PhotoPlus-full version
  • Buy APh
  • Buy both
  • Buy none  :(
  • Buy APh and PP SE.

HTH

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

In that page, I was trying to figure out, "Did I post that at one point?" My username on the CommunityPlus Forums is also Brian, but no, that's a different one. I guess I'm losing my mind.  :blink:

Yes, I noticed that the Brian who posted to that thread was a different Brian from the one who's been posting recently about cartooning, Affinity Designer and Lazy Nezumi Pro. ;)

And no, you're not losing your mind. CommunityPlus is the only place I know where hundreds of users all share the same username, so you can only tell them apart if they upload an avatar. It can be quite confusing if you have two or three different Brians posting to the same thread!

Alfred spacer.png

...and to add my two cents worth: go for the free trial and SE options and decide which is best: the Plus range with a bigger tool box, filters and effects versus a lightning fast offering from Affinity. (AKA a good old fashioned bechmark test)

Unfortunately, the Starter Edition doesn't have "a bigger tool box". Instead of being a time-limited trial of the full version, it never expires but it's severely crippled. It also pops up an upgrade nag screen every time you try to use one of the disabled features.

Then try to perform the same task, say cutting out and object from photo 1 and shoving it into photo 2. Then play around with the blending modes etc and don't forget to time the same task in PhotoPlus and APh.

This would be the perfect show down. After doing this a few times, you should arrive at one of these conclusions:

• Buy PhotoPlus-full version
  • Buy APh
  • Buy both
  • Buy none  :(
  • Buy APh and PP SE

There used to be an SE Pro (so you could upgrade either to that or to a full version) but now a full version is the only upgrade option.

Alfred spacer.png

Yes, I noticed that the Brian who posted to that thread was a different Brian from the one who's been posting recently about cartooning, Affinity Designer and Lazy Nezumi Pro. ;)

Well then, you know me pretty well to decipher me from all other Brians. I feel so special.

So Max, are there any features particular you are looking for?

Hi MaxKøngerskov,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Serif PhotoPlus will not be developed anymore so you will not get any new tools/features.

Affinity Photo may not cover all PhotoPlus features just yet but it adds a few new ones and it's being actively developed.

Is that for all of the Plus apps? Someone said there will still be new patches.

Oh man, as much as I love Affinity, I will miss the whole Plus range.

I assume so, Peter.

Does this mean RIP for the whole Plus range, or just the big three...PP,DP and PhP?

It's the whole range, Peter: the big five (PP, WP, PhP, DP and MvP) and CraftArtist and PhotoStack, too.

MvP was last updated four years ago. There was a big patch for CA2 quite recently, but that's apparently because changes to the DaisyTrail website and shop meant it needed to be updated anyway, so a long list of bug fixes and improvements were included at the same time.

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 years later...

I have PPX6 and PPX8 I upgraded to 8 when 6 wasn't working right.. and they (Serif) told me they are not supported any more? Huh? I PAID for both programs.. and they still work but tend to pop off in the middle of an image and I lose everything.. So if I want an upgrade, I have to BUY Affinity? Not right. What's with that? And from what I read here Affinity is not the same or desn't work the same.. id that right?