You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 5)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes, improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 5 Here

This is an early beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity in which you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Improvements & Fixes

- Improved focus merge - better results, faster processing and much faster "Sources" panel interactions. [Thanks to TheLostVertex]

- OpenColorIO support for 32-bit documents. You can now configure an an .ocio profile in preferences.
- OpenEXR documents will now be converted to scene_linear on load - if the filename contains a valid OCIO colour space (the inverse applies when you export).
- New OpenColorIO adjustment layer.
- New options in 32-bit Preview panel - including hardware accelerated OpenColorIO display transforms.
- New options in the Curves adjustments - allows you to specify the input range (handy in 32-bit documents).
- New histogram options - allows you to specify the input range (handy in 32-bit documents).
- The colour picker can now pick 32-bit unbounded, scene referred colours.
- Recorded macros can now have their arguments marked as "visible" (eye icon). When playing back the macro, the user can interact with the arguments as if using a normal filter.
- Macro library panel has been completely reworked (drag-drop, rename, etc.)
- The macro recorder can now record interactions in the layers panel. [Thanks to MBd]
- Improved Tone Mapping preset panel.
- Most blend modes now work in 32-bit.
- Completely rewritten our RAW metadata mining code. [Thanks to Goughy]
- Fixed issues with 16bit PSD files.
- Fixed various issues whereby documents would seem modified when they should not be.
- Fixed crashes with a number of Live Filters.
- Fix for Colour Picker Tool in macOS Sierra.
- Fix for double-clicking the selected row in the Layers Panel causing the incorrect behaviour.
- PDF export fixes (transparency usage and clipping issues) - hopefully also made CorelDraw-compatible PDFs.
- SVG export fix for exporting transformed images.
- Artistic Text creation is now more like the Mac App Store version.
- Allow Pen Tool and Shape Tool to reinitialise the original mouse down position mid-drag by holding down Space.
- Performance improvement for Node Tool when selecting an object with a large number of nodes.
- Fix for SMB share issues.
- Numerous other performance and stability improvements.
- New splash screen!

We still have a lot to do before 1.5 can enter the RC phase - aside from improving all the new features, we aim to improve certain aspects of existing features as well as implementing Polygonal Selection Tool, Magnetic Selection Tool and Layer Linking. More to come..

Thanks again for taking the time to use this beta!

Affinity Photo Team     :ph34r:

LOL macro with relative selection, can´t believe this is happening  :D:P

btw the splash screen is much improved IMO, the older one was really a bit too much like Men in Black alien jelly  :D

now back to the "work"

MACRO

- can´t seem to find the eye icon to have macros with visible arguments it´s because it´s black on top of black and my accent color on the mac is grey as well so it´s also hard to see if the record button is pressed or not (also a BIG improvement aside from that)

- have had just an issue to select a nested adjustment while recording macro but I think you go through them yourself so no need for step by step description

- selecting a layer or selecting the object directly on the canvas should work, as it´s now, you have to select it in the layer panel (not a deal breaker IMO though) 

OTHER

- you can´t drag the labels of the histogram input range

32 bit blend mode https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24439-32bit-blend-modes/?p=115220 (being worked on, or even done)

crop tool https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19730-crop-window-dimmed-border/?p=115634 (still)

adjustments different in 32bit https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24393-adjustments-different-in-32bit-vs-16bit/&p=115013 

RAM usage https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24365-ram-usage-behavior-of-stack-merge-pano/&p=114830 (not tested again yet)

not live with tablet https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24323-not-live-with-tablet-curves/&p=114679 (no tablet at hand right now)

the metadata fix is probably huge for many many many.....

eventually we´ll get to a great 1.5 release in the end  :lol: and imagine all this functionally on an iPad in the future  :wub:

the eye icon to expose the parameters is absolutely dope

... maybe this is out of scope but I´ve got one further request for that

- could you make this parameters expose window accessible in a non destructive way? Like a new layer which you can click on and which inherits the macro? Like a macro live filter layer....

would be nice if the exposed parameter sliders would have their original "value boxes" as well to allow for numeric input

can you add a simple STOP button to the macro recording so that one can define a point at which a macro stops and only continues asa the user presses a "continue" button? And maybe also add an option to write hints that are displayed during macro playback for sharing macros and helping others to understand them.

maybe think about it for V1.5.x

thanks 

Well, I have never had a problem downloading Affinity betas, be it Designer or Photo.

So, I tend to believe that you may have some issues with your internet provider.

It's also possible that you have hit a busy time downloading the software, meaning that a lot of downloads have been requested at the same time.

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 16/09/2016 at 7:18 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

- Improved focus merge - better results, faster processing and much faster "Sources" panel interactions. [Thanks to TheLostVertex]

Much improved it is. Just did a stack in 1/3rd the time it took from the previous beta, with better results :)

On 16/09/2016 at 7:26 PM, MBd said:

I just tested, and for focus merge there is a HUGE improvement in memory management for focus merging. I posted the stacking time and ram/swap usage in my feedback thread here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24336-focus-merge-feedback/?p=118309

Mentioned already in the designer thread, but I can confirm that the issue I was having with renaming the currently selected layer is fixed

(I assume that was the "Fix for double-clicking the selected row in the Layers Panel causing the incorrect behaviour.")

Thanks!

OCIO

First off, thanks for adding that. This is huge!  

Colours now match between Nuke and Affinity Photo. Really nice. I can do paintwork in Affinity and transfer back and forth without added stress in that department. One day you might even add a time-line with stroke recording  ;)

The suggestion. Put something in the documentation about the OCIO adjustment layer. It's a real timesaver. At first I wanted to set the gamma of my plate to 1.0/2.2 for the linear/sRGB transform. But the adjustment layer reading the rest of my config file made that a thing of the past. So easy now. Really good implementation, especially during long days.

Now it might sense to do a per-layer channel management.  ;)

So cool that I can now modify my HDR spheres so I only get the lights and reflections I want and know the values don't come out screwy.

Now I may need to set up a batch process to bake the sRGB into the linear for my Substance Painter textures to lower the blood pressure of our TD.  :D

Hello,

I am writing to mention that the beta 5 release is not showing the EXIF data for FujiFilm XT-10 raw (.RAF) files, but is reading the data for the out of camera jpg files. If you use other software to convert the raw files to TIFFs and then import them, the EXIF data is being shown.

This is what the Raw data section under the EXIF tab shows:

<?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?><x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core 5.5.0">
   <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=""/>
   </rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

Overall though, things are looking fairly well, I am looking forward to using the final release.

I am having a new problem with Apple Photos in beta 5. Often times when I am done editing in Affinity Apple Photos will try to save the changes but gets stuck in the saving process. I have to quit out of Apple Photos just to get anything to happen again. I don't if this problem has anything to do with my doing this in 1.5 instead of 2.0; maybe Apple fixed something on their end.

The Wacom problems sadly are still with us in this beta5 it would seem :(

List of control sliders still not working in real time are;

Live Adjustment Layers;
Levels
Curves
Gradient Map
Recolour  (Saturation slider is working but not the Hue slider)
Split Toning  (Saturation sliders are working but not the Hue sliders)

Live Filter Layers;
ALL

Filters;
ALL

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

just wanted to start recording my first macros and

- can´t set fill  :ph34r:

- can´t select multiple layers (of course these ranges have to be relative or absolute as well so that you can select like "first layer from bottom - first layer from top)

- need linked layers

- would be good to have the macro remember the tool setting. e.g. create new layer, select inpainting tool, select sample from below 

- add mask to current layer and select gradient tool

- if you klick on the visibility icon, Affinity gives you a "can not select layer - error", you have to select the layer and then click the visibility icon - kind of cumbersome 

- if you select the bottom layer and run the macro, all top layers are included as well (in one example it did not finish at all though and just kept calculating, if I didn´t select any layer/ or the top layer it performed well)

so far I could only do the first 2 out of 22 macros 

- attached you´ll find them, I did put the "paint like" macro into defaults and could not rearrange them so I had to export to categories ....

hope you get this sorted and also remember the curves and color selection improvements  :lol: cheers

and when can we sync macros across macs and iPads using iCloud? LOL :P 

(BW macro is how I edit BW fotos, from bottom to top all needed layers for a quick workflow (just noticed - I should deactivate the BW layer in the macro), Paint effect is more of a speed test for your mac but I´ll see if these setting work for different pictures...just a fun thing)

macros 0.1.zip

Glad to see all the improvements!

Selection tools - High quality selection tools are fundamental.  I am looking forward to a superb Magnetic Selection Tool!  Currently the selection brush tool is not as precise as it should be.  Your major competitors are more accurate in making selections.

Need a black and white eye dropper to do white balancing.  The white eye dropper needs to turn the selected color pure white, while the black turns the selected color pure black by altering the histogram pixel distribution.  Photoshop is way ahead of Affinity Photo in this case.  Photoshop yields a superior result with far less effort.  Please fix this!

Photos Extension:

Photos extension desperately needs:

1.  Clone tool

2.  Magnetic selection tool

3.  Tonal Contrast adjustments

Great improvements!

Live Filters seem to me improved too but the USM still has some weirdness.

This is a layer with a USM Live Filter active.

I painted the first strokes (red, yellow, blue) and nothing happened.

Painting "over" with blue shows the usm.

liveFilter_bug.png

I noticed that this issue appears when zooming in/out

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• Staff

Hi Andresson,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you already bought the application you can download and install the latest Customer Beta (1.5 Beta 5) from here (first post on top). The Beta is a development version where new features are implemented first for testing and feedback purposes. As soon as they are working without issues/stable they are implemented in the commercial version (the Mac App Store version). You shouldn't use the Beta for production work. Remember to keep the Mac App Store version (the commercial version) installed to be able to validate/run the Beta. Also note that files created or saved with the Beta are not compatible with older versions (the Mac App Store v1.4.3).

The live projection editing works like a charm thus far. I know this may be a bit of a stretch considering what you'd have to do to the equirect, processing wise, but if you guys could incorporate roll angle altering along with the heading and pitch that you currently have that would be a photograph saver! The ability to correct that axis is huge as it often represents the horizon etc. 

Tristan

When you're running and gunning with a spherical lens camera there are times when the auto orientation function doesn't work well enough.

Edited by TristanJ

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.