You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 14)

• Staff

Hi.

A lot of crashes when saving files with new beta. I have no this experience in previous versions.

EDIT: This is probably related to a specific file. I am sending it over to @MEB. File is compressed with keka/7-zip and divided to two pieces as the solution for the dropbox file size limit.

EDIT2: any manipulation with objects on poster can crash affinity, not just saving the file. but save the file crash AD at 90 % :-/

Thanks for the file lexislav. Checking this out.

Thanks for the file lexislav. Checking this out.

You are welcome. I have reduced the file size meantime, as I would like to continue to work on the poster. It is surprisingly even worse then it was before (I know: Don't use it for production… but the production is best way to test, right :-) ?) . So I am sending You new version. I hope You don't mind. It can crash AD immediately after open, on save, zoom in or just try to move anything… Won't run more than 30 seconds. If You have any idea how to fix it, that would make me very happy. Do not want to move it to illustrator or something…

Odd that with this beta 14 after loading it 5 days ago every time I go into AD it tells me there is a new beta available and that I should download it.  Of course so far there isn't another new one yet.  Am I the only one seeing this?  Just curious, I learned to ignore it after the second day.  ;)  I don't remember ever having AD do this before.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi Gear maker,

From the first post

EDITED TO ADD: I have just (at 4pm BST) uploaded a new version of Beta 14 that will continue to run if you upgrade to Affinity 1.4.3 which is due to be released on 20th September in order to provide better compatibility with macOS Sierra. It is identical to the earlier download in all other respects. If you are not receiving a warning that there is a newer version then you already have this most recent version.

This means you still have the original Beta 14 installed not the one updated my MattP a couple hours later.

Hi, little problem. I have at work the newest beta version of designer on Windows, but in home i have this newest beta version on my mac. I find a problem to open the documents that i made in work on Windows on my mac. Any solutions?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Iagh,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You should be able to open files created in Designer 1.5 on Windows on your Mac (Designer 1.5 Beta) without issues.

Can you please upload the file you have created on Windows so we can check what's going wrong? You can PM me a link to the file or use this link to send it directly to me.

Thanks.

Miguel, you are right.  I have the nasty habit of not rereading item 1 in a string after I have read it once. :rolleyes:  After I loaded and ran beta 14 I figured I had loaded beta 14.  All is well now.  Thnaks.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Hi wiredfractal,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Seems to be working fine here. Are you sure both apps are Betas?

It doesn't work if you are trying to switch from the Beta to the MAS version.

Hi Meb,

Yes both are beta. 14 for Designer, beta 5 for Photo. It's working fine on the MAS version but since the file I'm working on are beta only I can't open it in the MAS version.

• Staff

You are welcome. I have reduced the file size meantime, as I would like to continue to work on the poster. It is surprisingly even worse then it was before (I know: Don't use it for production… but the production is best way to test, right :-) ?) . So I am sending You new version. I hope You don't mind. It can crash AD immediately after open, on save, zoom in or just try to move anything… Won't run more than 30 seconds. If You have any idea how to fix it, that would make me very happy. Do not want to move it to illustrator or something…

Hi lexislav,

The issue seems related with the gradient map adjustment and embedded document you have used as the background in three of the artboards. The file is being checked by the dev team. Someone should get back to you soon.

Hi lexislav,

The issue seems related with the gradient map adjustment and embedded document you have used as the background in three of the artboards. The file is being checked by the dev team. Someone should get back to you soon.

Thanks for info. I like the idea of adding these adjustment directly when designing (not in photo or something like that) for many reasons, so I hope dev team won't switch them off ;-)

Thanks Affinity Folks for all of your hard work. I'm looking forward to the new version. But, I'm still hoping for one feature in particular. I'd love it if that when you select a layer on the artboard/document that it would display the same layer in the layers panel. So that means scroll to the right position and expand any groups to show me the layer I selected.

Sketch does this very well and it's such a time saver. Having to go and find a layer I'm working on slows work down. And if you don't want it to be the default behavior, perhaps adding it as a preference to make it the default? Any chance of this making into the 1.5 release? Thanks.

Note: the functionality exists in the context menu "Find in Layers Panel"... I just want it as the default behavior (or a way to make it the default behavior).

MEB, any chance of this making it into the 1.5 release?

• Staff

Thanks Affinity Folks for all of your hard work. I'm looking forward to the new version. But, I'm still hoping for one feature in particular. I'd love it if that when you select a layer on the artboard/document that it would display the same layer in the layers panel. So that means scroll to the right position and expand any groups to show me the layer I selected.

Sketch does this very well and it's such a time saver. Having to go and find a layer I'm working on slows work down. And if you don't want it to be the default behavior, perhaps adding it as a preference to make it the default? Any chance of this making into the 1.5 release? Thanks.

Note: the functionality exists in the context menu "Find in Layers Panel"... I just want it as the default behavior (or a way to make it the default behavior).

MEB, any chance of this making it into the 1.5 release?

Hi HYR,

I don't think so. We are already stabilising it for release but only MattP (Project lead on Affinity Designer) can give you a definite answer.

Ooops, was late answer this. Sorry MEB.  :mellow:  :o

The functionality has, er, cheekily sneaked in... you will find it in the next beta release tomorrow. :D You will need to turn it on in Preferences.

Awesome awesome, awesome! Preference route is perfect.  Cheers Andrew, Matt and the team.

This is something that I think will be a big production/workflow boost! I am constantly right clicking to "find in layers panel"  :)

Ooops, was late answer this. Sorry MEB.  :mellow:  :o

The functionality has, er, cheekily sneaked in... you will find it in the next beta release tomorrow. :D You will need to turn it on in Preferences.

YES!!! Thank you!!! You made my day, I owe you a beer or something!!

You can't, I'm afraid. The Mac beta is for Mac customers only. You can try the 1.4 trial for free, and if you have a Windows machine you can use the Windows beta. If you can wait a few months, 1.5 will be released to the Mac App Store and we'll probably update the free trial to 1.5 soon after that.

So this update 1.5 available for free for existing user?

• Staff

Affinity 1.5 is an update of Affinity 1.4, not a new version. As such, when Affinity 1.5 goes live on the App Store, all existing users will be notified that there is an update and they can choose to install it if they wish. In the meantime, you can test 1.5 in its Beta stages if you are currently a 1.4 customer by simply downloading it from the link given on the first page of this thread.

Hope that makes sense :)

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.