You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity interface legibility

The suggestions you mentioned which are not striked out are already in. 1-1, there are [some features the same] in all the apps. 1-2, there are exclusive features in each.

Petar's I.1 is what we currently have, which is a combination of your 1-1 and 1-2: some features are shared across the apps, but others are exclusive to one of them. His I.2 is a (mutually exclusive) alternative, where there are no shared features at all.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@bleduc:

Sorry, but you didn't understand my post. You should read it carefully.  ;)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I think I do understand for the most part. A lot of the things that can be done in one program can be done in the other. Because of this, I am actually making a list of what is the same and what is different, because it seems that Photo can do so much more, plus features that are already in Designer. I found 18 similarities, 10 exclusive Designer features, and over 18 exclusive Photo features. The point I'm making is there are still plenty of features not in the others, not just mutually exclusive features.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

The point I'm making is there are still plenty of features not in the others, not just mutually exclusive features.

That's a contradiction in terms, Brian! If a comparison between two apps shows up some "mutually exclusive" features, it means that those features are in one app but not in the other one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi,

the problem with public software developers is that they don't ask the end users:

I. What kind of application they like (in this case)

1. three separate apps with features from the other two, OR

2. three separate apps without features from the other two,  OR

3. all-in-one,  OR

4. one core app where the user can choose which personas would like to buy,  OR

5. Xara model: #2 and #3.

II. What features they need

III. The priority in adding them in the apps

Maybe it is still not too late to vote for these suggestions.  :)

@bleduc:

Is it more clearer now? There is nothing contradictory between them.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

High-end CRT's are still excellent, often film graders will still use CRT monitors. They can have excellent colour reproduction, the panels themselves last a long time and often don't suffer some of the brightness consistency issues of LED and LCD panels. Basically, the only downside is they are pretty big and there' some hard limits on the size of the panels.

CRT FTW.

Thank you for the explanation. Good points! Often legacy technology has benefits and advantages over looked by many. Besides the size problems with CRTs they also give off radiation in addition to visible light that can be hard/damaging on eyes. However the color benefits mentioned above are significant. I find myself designing elements, printing them, then adjusting colors as needed.

That's a contradiction in terms, Brian! If a comparison between two apps shows up some "mutually exclusive" features, it means that those features are in one app but not in the other one.

Oops. I didn't understand what you meant by mutual (I think of it as sharing). I thought maybe you meant semi-exclusive. My mistake.

Nope I don't twitter ;) Do you mean this: https://twitter.com/AndyTang2k/status/806865030868299776 ?

Looks really nice (though I found the negative look for active button state in the mockup more clear) 

Yes, that is what I mean. I don't use Twitter either. I just knew about it because it was talked about in another topic. I was afraid that it would look older as light UIs usually do, but the white gradient on the top really comes to life. I do really like it.

@bleduc:

Is it more clearer now? There is nothing contradictory between them.

Yes, it is now. I am just a very literal person, so some list structures don't always make sense to me. Thank you guys for your patience. I know I can be Captain Oblivious.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!