You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easiest way to create yin-yang/paisley shapes in Photo?

four circles made with the eclipse tool, one with a partial mask. The two smaller ones are on top. See attached photo.

M

Thanks - this is useful.

But what I want to do is to have two separate elements so I can merge them in a different way.

So I need to know how to manipulate the tear shape.

Or - how to separate the yin yang symbols.

• Staff

Hi gumbo,

- create two half circles for the bigger parts and two small circles for the inner circles

- duplicate them

- then add the first two inner circles with the corresponding bigger ones (i've not added them in the sample attached below so you can see how its constructed)

- finally subtract the  duplicated inner circles from the corresponding parts.

Sample file attached (half finished).

yin-yang.afdesign

Hi gumbo,

- create two half circles for the bigger parts and two small circles for the inner circles

- duplicate them

- then add the first two inner circles with the corresponding bigger ones (i've not added them in the sample attached below so you can see how its constructed)

- finally subtract the  duplicated inner circles from the corresponding parts.

Sample file attached (half finished).

attachicon.gifyin-yang.afdesign

How do I separate the black and white shapes from one another?

• Staff

If you continue the file attached in the previous post you will l end up with separate elements.

- open the file

- select the white half circle and the small white circle (counting from bottom) in the layers panel

- add them (menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add)

- select the black half circle and the small black circle (counting from bottom) in the layers panel

- add them (menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add)

- select the resulting white shape and the duplicate black circle and perform a subtract boolean operation (menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract)

- finally select the resulting black shape and the duplicate white circle and perform a subtract boolean operation (menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract)

Here's the finished file:

yin-yang (finished).afdesign