You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Music Fonts and PDF files

Affinity sems to be great, apart from this one issue I have. I hope somebody van help.

I am importing a page of music score from Logic Pro. This exports from Logic as a PDF.

With Photoshop, these imported with no problems, however with Affinity, the music is not showing properly. When importing I am prompted to replace the missing font Ascore, which I have never heard of. (I am using Sonata, Bravura and Swing fonts - all standard music fonts) No such prompt with Photoshop, it just imports and looks correct.

I have attached a couple of files, one showing how it imports to Photoshop and the other how it appears in Affinity.

I hope this is just a setting I need to change because this is important to my workflow and I just bought Affinity (and cancelled PS before testing this aspect of my work)

Photoshop import

post-36684-0-84682800-1473869383_thumb.png

Affinity import

post-36684-0-40981700-1473869383_thumb.png

Can anyone please help

Ascore is proprietary to Logic Pro, tho' not necessary to use. I know nothing about .pdf file specs, but perhaps there is a default reference to ascore in the file. I know that at one time, Adobe products sometimes required fonts to be embedded in the document in case they were not installed on the machine opening the document. Later, there would sometimes be default substitutions. Are there export options in Logic that enable font embedding?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

No, currently Affinity Designer/Photo don’t support embedded fonts when importing PDF’s. You need to have them installed to edit the text.

OK thanks.

I don't actually want/need to edit the text, I just want to resize and saves as .png for web images. 

Ironic that Photoshop imports from Logic, but a Mac oriented application Affinity doesn't :)

Oh well, I have a workaround, import into Preview then export as TIFF and import that into Affinity.

• 4 weeks later...

Trivial or not but I have struggled with this problem from the very beginning of Affinity Designer. Many times I have opened a PDF simply to find out that it is not possible to work on it as the embedded fonts is not supported in AD. Please make this trivial!

• 3 months later...

Ascore is proprietary to Logic Pro, tho' not necessary to use. ...

Maybe ask Logic Pro if they will provide you with the Ascore font. Sometimes a simple request will be answered. Unless you will be using it in an unacceptable or illegal manner. If they will make it available to you, that would seem to be a better workaround (non-workaround?). Then you could replace it with whichever fonts you prefer while in Affinity.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/1/2017 at 6:24 PM, ZicWorld said:

To edit your score coming from Logic Pro X, you just need to export it as Postscript. You will have your score in vector mode.

So Print > Save as postscript

Thats all!

Bit late to answer this but thanks that is a good tip for when you want to work on a whole score or page.

Part of the problem though is for smaller excerpts I'm doing, ie Musical exercises. In this case logic has a camera tool that sdefines a selection of part of the page and exports that to PDF. This is what I mostly want to use, that will only export to PDF.

However your method will be an interim workaround as I can edit the bits I want in Designer.

An alternative method I found was to export the PDF from Logic, open in Preview and then export to PNG.

On 9/15/2016 at 12:44 AM, Mr Lucky said:

Oh well, I have a workaround, import into Preview then export as TIFF and import that into Affinity.

Damn, two years ago you stole my suggestion.

21 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

An alternative method I found was to export the PDF from Logic, open in Preview and then export to PNG.

You just now stole my other suggestion. You're good. [admiration emoticon] [smiley-face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 months later...

Hello Mr Lucky

I just found your post, and I am wondering you got any solution to your problem...I think I am going through same problem with you....

I am using a music score maker App called Symphony pro, and the app only exports the document to PDF.... When I open the PDF created by Symphony app with Affinity, it shows that there is missing font called Bravura, and all 8th notes's flag becomes squares. I tried to install the font, but it failed. 

I understand I can use Preview and export the file to PNG etc, but it will be so much easier and flexible to add and change things if Affinity works.

Please advise..

Thanks!!

12 hours ago, kazusak7 said:

Please advise..

Install needed fonts. There is not much else to do if you want the PDF to be editable in Designer.

On 9/15/2016 at 10:44 AM, Mr Lucky said:

Ironic that Photoshop imports from Logic, but a Mac oriented application Affinity doesn't :)

Lot of apps can import PDF as image. If pixel image is all that is needed I propose not using Affinity but convert to pixel document in Preview as already suggested.

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (PDF with musical notes font - Maestro - does not import correctly) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers. 

IMPORTANT This fix will also be made available in Designer and Photo in forthcoming 1.8.0.x beta builds and the final release builds

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

Hello developers, hello at all,

first of all: English is not my native language, and so I hope, it is reasonably understandable what I mean.

I have the same challenge with from LogicPro exported PDFs. Its a mess.

I'm an avid user of Affinity Photo / Designer, but I can't understand that since September 2016 (the first posting here in this thread) till today (March 2020) developers have been ignored users' desire to implement the simple ability to import flat PDF files into Affinity Photo, like many other apps, such as Apple Preview or Photoshop are able to do this.

The same with layered TIFF´s. I was hoping for a workaround, converted 20 pages as layered TIFF odd png ... but imported by Affinity Photo was only the first page. Not so in the Apple Preview App ... not so in Photoshop.

Affinity Apps are really GREAT, GREAT tools, ... all the more I can't understand that.

Our wish: Hear our request and make PDF, TIFF, PNG import ability great!

Best Regards

Rayco

www.rayco-records.de

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2016 at 5:55 PM, MEB said:

We will add support for embedded fonts but since this is not something trivial to achieve it may still take a while until it becomes available in Affinity apps.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:36 PM, Konspaul said:

Trivial or not but I have struggled with this problem from the very beginning of Affinity Designer. Many times I have opened a PDF simply to find out that it is not possible to work on it as the embedded fonts is not supported in AD. Please make this trivial!

On 1/11/2017 at 5:49 PM, MEB said:

Hi Mr Lucky,

No, sorry. As i said, this will take some time to implement. The dev teams are focused/working on what's planned in the roadmaps.

It makes me really sad that 5 years later (with presumably a roadmap) this never made it to version 2 :(

1 hour ago, José Miguel said:
Hello, I also have this problem.

I can't properly open a pdf file.
It tells me that I don't have the AScore font.
Is there already a solution?

Apparently not. I’d really prefer if they just “no we won’t do this” as opposed to implying they will,