You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Viewing files edited in Affinity Photo in Nikon ViewNX-I

Hi 

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere - a search didn't find anything.

I use Nikon ViewNX-I to browse Raw files downloaded from the camera and then edit them in Affinity Photo. Once saved they have the .afphoto extension on the filename.

Once the image has been saved after editing, it's not possible to see the edited image in ViewNX-I. I'm guessing that the file type is not recognised by that app? (I had the same situation when I was using Adobe Bridge).

Is there a way to get ViewNX-I to recognise the edited images - or is this really a question that should go to Nikon and Adobe? 

Would just make workflow easier for search etc to be able to use ViewNX-I or Bridge for all photos - not just RAW and JPEG...

Thanks for any advice.

Watter5

Think I just answered my own question... 

ViewNX-i supports the following file formats.

Image file
  • NEF or NRW format RAW images (extension: .nef/.nrw)
  • For restrictions on displaying a RAW image in ViewNX-i, refer to "Notes on displaying RAW images" below.
  • JPEG (extension: .jpg)
  • Exif 2.2 or 2.3 compliant JPEG images.
  • Only RGB mode is supported. CMYK mode and JPEG 2000 are not supported.
  • TIFF (extension: .tif / .tiff) 
  • Only RGB mode is supported. CMYK mode is not supported.
  • For image adjustments, supports only uncompressed or LZW compressed TIFF files.
  • MPO (extension: .mpo)
  •  

• Staff

Hi watter5,

Welcome to the forums.

You're right in saying that the ViewNX-I app would need to be updated to read our files. However I don't think our developers have any plans to make our file format public. We have plans to release a Digital Asset Management app in the future but have no eta on when that will be ready.

After editing you could always export to a support format such as .TIFF or .JPEG, these would be supported by ViewNX-I

Hope this helps.

L

Thanks Lee for the quick response and the useful info. 

Yes exporting to another format is an option but not ideal if I do some work on a photo and then leave it for another day to finish off... still need to be in the Affinity format.

Look forward to the news on the Digital Asset Management app in the future.

Affinity Photo is such a great app - thanks for all the work that goes into it. For my needs it's perfect!

Thanks

Watter5

Watter5, you may not be aware that the document file format has changed in the 1.5 betas & isn't compatible with 1.4.x or older versions of Affinity products. There was also some mention a while back of changes that might be needed for Publisher, when that app is available, but I don't know if the 1.5 changes include that or there will be still more changes to come.

Either way, it will be a long time before the DAM app is available, sometime after the retail version of Publisher is released, & there is almost no chance that any other company's products will be able to support the Affinity native file formats for the foreseeable future.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7