You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash upon saving file

I opened a file with some symbols in it, drew something to the symbol (so it would be repeated throughout the image), saved under a new name, and it crashed.

The modified file was still saved properly under the new name, so when I double-clicked it, AD loaded with this message,

post-32179-0-24627900-1473797464_thumb.png

but I was able to open the file, which I am enclosing here, Cross-78.afdesign.

Yes, I was trying to create a preset for SVG. I named the preset Adam, and that was when the crash occurred. After restarting I noticed all default SVG presets were named SVG (xxxxx), so I tried again, this time naming it SVG (Adam). At that point it neither crashed nor created a new preset, so I gave up trying and just change it manually every time.

The exact Export options I was trying to change, from the SVG (web) preset to a new preset, were having text converted to curves and having line breaks in the output.

As for the crash when saving the file under a new name, it happened again this morning, but it does not happen every time. This time again, it crashed after it was done saving the file, so I was able to recover it. This is on Win 8.1.

And again just now... Right after saving a file with a new name.

post-32179-0-62947700-1474222657_thumb.png

Now, I’m not sure whether you want me to continue posting these, as there seems to have been a very little activity from the Serif people on this section of the forum lately. So, unless I hear otherwise, I shall stop posting these. But they still keep happening, albeit not every time.

Adam

My Windows user name is Adam. Just plain old ASCII, no special characters or symbols (unless starting with a capital letter is a problem).

I am not sure what you mean by a screen recording. Do you mean a video? That I am currently not equipped to do. Or do you mean a screen capture of the message that it crashed? That I should be able to do next time it happens.

Here is my basic system information (I cut out the activation key from the screen cap for privacy reasons):

post-32179-0-75810600-1474297725_thumb.png

Adam

• Staff

Ahh ok - capitals in a name won't be a problem. However I'm still unable to reproduce the crash - all I'm finding is that the preset is not getting saved (which is fixed in the upcoming build).

It was a video of your screen that I was hoping you'd be able to capture - however I'm not sure offhand of any good freeware software on Windows to do it. If you have a smart phone with Video recording capabilities then using that to record would be fine.

The only other thing I can suggest in the meantime is to perform a Ctrl run up however before you do that could you backup the contents of %AppData%\Affinity\ - it maybe something in there is causing the issue so having this data could be beneficial to fixing whatever may have caused the problem. To do the Ctrl Run up hold down Ctrl when running up the software, tick all the boxes and select Clear. Be warned that doing this will clear all your user data and lose any brushes, styles, customisations etc which is another reason why its beneficial to back that folder up first.

As I said there is a bug with saving them not working that has been fixed in the next build so it would definitely be worth rechecking that in the next build if the Ctrl Run up doesn't work.

Do you mean a video? That I am currently not equipped to do.

If it helps, you can use something called Screencast-O-Matic. The free version allows 15 minutes of video and it's online, and there is a downloadable version. It's certainly not the best screen recorder, but it will get the job done if you need to work this issue further in the future.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

That’s not the point. I have professional video equipment for recording any HDMI signal, so I could easily use that. The thing is, what am I supposed to keep recording day after day until finally a crash happens?

I am happy to be Beta testing, but I’m not getting out of my way in doing it, sorry.

• Staff

The thing is, what am I supposed to keep recording day after day until finally a crash happens?

I am happy to be Beta testing, but I’m not getting out of my way in doing it, sorry.

That was not my intention - we in no way expect you to go out of your way to record day after day hoping for the crash. By your reports it sounded like an easily reproducible issue for you, which is why I asked if you could make a video of it.

That was not my intention - we in no way expect you to go out of your way to record day after day hoping for the crash. By your reports it sounded like an easily reproducible issue for you, which is why I asked if you could make a video of it.

I know it wasn’t your intention. No, it was not easy to reproduce. It happened when it happened. Sometimes several times a day, but not since my last report. If it ever happens again, I will post here.

At any rate, whenever it happened, it would happen when I saved a drawing under a new file name. I have several files I use to start certain types of projects. Similar to my avatar here, they contain a certain grid and a symbol object repeated several times, so I can easily start drawing a mandala or a similar drawing, then I save it under a new name. It is at that point the crash would happen (though not always) but after the restart of AD, the file exists and I can load it and continue to edit the drawing just fine.

OK, it just happened again (the first file I was working on with the new Beta 18.

So, first of all, here is the dump: af7c3146-8d3a-4afc-a982-37dc95b8d66c.dmp

Secondly, I started by loading this file, Mandala-Guide-8.afdesign, which I edited and finally saved as Kruhotvar-9.afdesign, and that is when the crash happened. I mean, after it saved the edited and renamed file because I have opened it afterwards with no problem (so far).

I hope this gives you enough detail to be able to track this down.

Adam

And here’s a variation I haven’t seen before (perhaps it’s new to Beta 18?):

post-32179-0-24198300-1474755887_thumb.png

This time AD didn’t crash, it froze. After saving a file (which, this time, was new) it popped the above message and froze. No matter what I tried, I couldn’t unfreeze it, so I ended up killing it from the task manager. As usual, the file itself was saved properly and I could open it just fine once I restarted AD.

Also, this time the Crash Reports directory was empty and no crash report was sent.

This is very strange, I've opened your Mandala-Guide-8.afdesign file and modified the symbol object a bit and resaved it without issue. Are all the crashes when you save been with files that contain symbols at all?

Yes, they all contain symbols. I use it to draw what I call mandaloids, i.e., objects with circular repetitions (though not necessarily true mandalas).

Also, this does not happen every time, though when it does happen, it has symbols in it.

And it has just happened again... 226c5560-fc16-4c7a-95db-1bebe537c058.dmp

This time, I opened Mandala-Guides-16.afdesign, did some drawing and saved as Kruhotvar-18.afdesign. AD sent the report,

post-32179-0-76314300-1474903211_thumb.png

then opened the saved file just fine:

post-32179-0-07918000-1474903353_thumb.png

Oh, and lest I forget, right before Windows popped up the message with the error 0x80004003, which means E_POINTERIn other words, somewhere somehow your code is trying to write to a protected area of the memory, typically, though not necessarily, NULL.

COM error codes.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.