You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I love the donut tool in Affinity Designer, it is very useful but I noticed that sometimes it is difficult to size the inside circle. For example, let's say I draw a donut and then I want to adjust the size of the inner circle. So I click on the red adjuster that adjusts the size of the inner circle and move it but it jumps to what looks like predetermined distances and it won't allow me to use a size that is in between the predetermined (or set) distances. Of course those distances are not what I'm after. I want it to smoothly adjust the inner circle without it jumping (it moves as if it were snapping but I have all snapping turned off). If I zoom in then I can smoothly adjust it. Is this how it is supposed to work? If so, why? I noticed it since the first release and it is the same in the latest beta. Thanks in advance for any insight that anyone can provide in helping me to solve "The mystery of the misbehaving donut". 

Hokusai

• Staff

Yeah... some snapping is tool specific.  All tool specific snapping (like snapping to special values in the shape tools) is independent of the global snapping.  Some tools have buttons for turning these on and off.  The shape tool currently doesn't.  As Lee says, whenever you getting unwanted snapping - just use Alt - it disables ALL snapping.

As far as shape value snapping - I just added a load that I thought were "useful".  For some shapes that gives some obvious lines, right angles, symmetry, etc, that depend on the context of the shape.  For other shapes I just used a set of fixed presets.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB