You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to create a mask that clips one unique layer but is not linked to it. In PS I would click the chainlink between layer and mask so as to achieve this. I can find no equivalent in AP. I have found a workaround but I can't help feeling I may be missing something.

The top image below shows my problem. I wish to be able to mask the green triangle but be able to move the triangle around while the mask stays in place without moving.

Moving the mask above the triangle, as in the middle image, achieves this but also clips the blue square below which I do not want clipped. 

The solution I have found is to make a group of the triangle layer and place the mask inside it but unattached to the triangle layer. See bottom image. This works fine. It just seems clumsy and convoluted. So am I missing something here. Is there a better way?

post-9119-0-11776600-1473760008_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello also was looking for a way to do this....

Maybe you could add it as an option when right clicking on the layers palete.

Know I know where it is I'll use it, but it's kind of hidden for new users that are making a switch from Photoshop.....

Regards,

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Razeroxo said:

where is this context menu please!

The context toolbar should be just below the main toolbar. If you do not see it, open the View menu & make sure there is a checkmark next to "Show Context Toolbar."

Note that the content of the context toolbar changes depending on the tool selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7