You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with artistic text tool

I'm having a problem with the artistic text tool. Whenever I type any text, the first letter has a thin magenta outline. I've attached an image to show what it looks like. The top line is what happens when I type in a word with grey text. The bottom line is what happens when I set "fill" to "none" -- all that's left is the magenta outline around the first letter.

If I delete the first letter, the next one automatically acquires this outline. The outline disappears if I "rasterize" the text. If I undo the rasterization to convert the text back to the artistic text tool, the outline reappears on any and all letters I click on.

This just started happening and I have no idea why. I've used the artistic text tool before without having this problem. As far as I know, I haven't changed any settings that would make this happen but perhaps I did something accidentally. I've tried everything I can think of to make it go away. I thought it might have something to do with the "stroke" setting, but the outline doesn't go away if I set stroke to "none."

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks.

post-25552-0-27887800-1473728664_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi dotlyc,

Can you check to see if Show snapping candidates is checked on the Snapping dropdown if , if so, try disabling. If this doesn't resolve the issue try opening the app with the CTRL key held, then select Clear and the app will open. 

Regards

L

Hi dotlyc,

Can you check to see if Show snapping candidates is checked on the Snapping dropdown if , if so, try disabling. If this doesn't resolve the issue try opening the app with the CTRL key held, then select Clear and the app will open. 

Regards

L

Lee:

Thank you so much -- that worked like a charm. This has caused me so much frustration over the last two days. I'm not sure how that box even got checked but I guess I must have done it without realizing it.

I don't use this tool much except to create watermarks so I don't know much about snapping. I presume it has something to do with aligning text where you want it. As a matter of curiosity, how does the magenta outline help with that?

• Staff

Hi dotlyc,

Snapping help you align any type of objects besides text.

Here's some video tutorials about it (for Designer but it works the same in Photo):

- Affinity Designer - Snapping: Object Creation

- Affinity Designer - Snapping: UI and Web Design

Affinity Photo/Designer 1.5 Beta introduce some improvements here but the concept is the same.

Hi dotlyc,

Snapping help you align any type of objects besides text.

Here's some video tutorials about it (for Designer but it works the same in Photo):

- Affinity Designer - Snapping: Object Creation

- Affinity Designer - Snapping: UI and Web Design

Affinity Photo/Designer 1.5 Beta introduce some improvements here but the concept is the same.

Thanks for this information. I still have a lot to learn about this program.

I also meant to ask about another comment Lee made; he mentioned "opening the app with the CTRL key held, then select Clear and the app will open."

I presume this is kind of the nuclear option for correcting strange behaviour in the program. Am I correct that this would reset all my preferences to the "factory settings"? What about brushes I've saved -- would they be gone too?

• Staff

Yes, it will open a dialog that lets you select which settings you want to reset (including brushes). You can check just a few or all of them. You can do it safely if you want to check it out. There's a button to cancel the dialog too. Here's a screenshot from the Mac version:

post-59-0-16989600-1473784769_thumb.png

You can export custom brushes from the Brushes panel clicking on the menu on the top right of the panel and selecting Export Brushes...

Yes, it will open a dialog that lets you select which settings you want to reset (including brushes). You can check just a few or all of them. You can do it safely if you want to check it out. There's a button to cancel the dialog too. Here's a screenshot from the Mac version:

attachicon.gifreset.png

You can export custom brushes from the Brushes panel clicking on the menu on the top right of the panel and selecting Export Brushes...

Okay, thanks. Very helpful.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.