You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been preparing several packaging files for vendors and continually run into a major roadblock when I want to outline live type. In Illustrator you can simply Select All and Outline Text. Done in 2 seconds and the file retains its structure.

Is there currently anyway to accomplish this in AD?

I'm aware of the (Layer >) Convert to Curves command. The trouble is that this command doesn't seem to penetrate groups. Which forces me to either:

1. Select/search though every group in the Layers panel for any and all text elements and manually convert them, which is both very time-consuming and prone to errors.

or

2. Select All, Ungroup (x times) and then convert everything. This technically works, but it then creates an unmanageable file with hundreds of curve layers and also releases all clipping masks.  :(

Am I missing an awesome command or tool somewhere? Anyone know of an easier way?

Thanks!  :D

Never used Illustrator much, and not at all for at least 6 -7 years, so I'm somewhat unsure about the Illustrator command you mention. My recollection was that text, as text, could be selected, and the stroke changed across the whole selection. It appears the same in AD, in my limited experience.

I only used layers in AI a few times, so, again I'm not certain about the details. Text within an AD layer group must be selected by layer, but all the selected text will be changed together.

If the text has been converted into curves, and placed within a layer, then it is more cumbersome. AD needs an example of the alteration for 1 curve. Say you have a curve that was once the font character A. Select that within the group of sub layers. Change the stroke size, color, and copy. Then select the other letter shaped curves. Use paste style.

After that, you may move to other layers, and choose each (sigh) individual character curve, and paste style.

Doable. After a few times, I'd be sure the characters looked just how I wanted them before moving them into other shape layers. Because. of course, I have infinite foresight :)

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for the reply gdenby, but you lost me. I'm not sure what you're referring to. I think you're referring to text with strokes? And applying object styles?  :huh:  AD handles stroked type way better than AI does, but I'm referring to converting to outlines for the sake of production.

Wouldn’t it work for you to simply convert all pieces of text to curves on export?  :)

Yes A_B_C! That's even better than I had hoped for.  :D Perfect! This is the best of both worlds. AD continues to surprise me with its robust options and how well it handles operations. Well played AD. Sneaky sneaky  :ph34r:

Thanks for the reply gdenby, but you lost me. I'm not sure what you're referring to. I think you're referring to text with strokes? And applying object styles?  :huh:  AD handles stroked type way better than AI does, but I'm referring to converting to outlines for the sake of production.

Yes A_B_C! That's even better than I had hoped for.  :D Perfect! This is the best of both worlds. AD continues to surprise me with its robust options and how well it handles operations. Well played AD. Sneaky sneaky  :ph34r:

My mistake. My background was insufficient to understand what you were trying to do. 

And thanks to you and A_B_C, I know something more. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

To answer the other, underlying, question of the OP......

To select objects/text/whatever within group hierarchies use the cmd key when drag selecting over an area.

It won't specifically pick out just the text elements, but you don't have to unwind all your groups to bulk select interior stuff.